PDA

View Full Version : Desparation

Tafline
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
At this precise moment, i am supposed to be composing an essay on this piece of literature, and finding it truly aggravating. I just dont know which perspective or angle to take. Yes, addmittedly, books, literature and such like are perceived very differently, depending on who you are and what values you hold. And this book may be life changing to some people, which i have no real problem with. But it is frustrating to see so many people lured into this false sense of depth and meaning. It is a tale of an oppressed woman in a an oppressive time, something i am all for when exemplifying the previous treatment of women - go feminism, but to be honest, the turgid atmoshpere the novel conveys is difficult to wade through. It just seems like people are being so niave by accepting this book as genius. Having said all this, i was enveloped in the story, no doubt about it. It just seems like i am conforming and being somehow childish, by having faith in such a saccharine novel, like i am being duped into something. I dont know, maybe im just trying to be non-conformist, and thus i refuse to like it. All in all, i am in a state of confusion, not really sure where i stand with this one. Still have to write a darned essay on it though.