PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Sarah
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I love the way that Hardy writes Tess of the d'Ubervilles. It evokes so much feeling and sympathy for the characters, expecially Tess. Though I do have to say, I think many of Tess' struggles that Hardy wrote about, she brought upon herself. She would never forgive herself for something she didn't do. I think that was her first problem. I also don't believe there is such a thing a heartless Fate that doesn't care one whit about people like Tess who have been sinned against. I believe God does care about each and every person and has a special plan for them. All they have to do is ask Him and accept Him as their Lord. This is one thing I was disappointed with in the novel. I think so many of her trials could've been prevented had she known the hope, peace and forgiveness that the Lord gives. This issue only made me mourn for Tess all the more, wishing I could help her somehow. Hardy does an excellent job of describing scenery and makes everything seem very real to the reader. If you are in search of a truly heart-wrenching piece of literature that is almost poetically written, then Tess of the d'Ubervilles is just the book for you! May God bless you!