PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

jean
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Acutally,I do not like Tess,although I've offered my grestest sympathy to her. Doubtlessly,she is so lovely and innocent that it was inevitable for her to suffer the first unfortunate experience. But when met Angle,falling in love whith him,consenting to merry him,then being abandoned .then leaving a rather poor life again.all these would have given her enough scenes as to what life i s,and what is her own position.It seems that, she rarely learned the lessons,and she made the same mistake again.that action to me .however,was really silly.Aslo her simple character or may be her invariable mind doomed her targedy.

Clare
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I can understand how you people do not appreciate this novel. Apparently it's because you do not understand the beauty, much less the mechanics, of the English language. Let me clue you in: <br>Spelling:<br>actually<br>greatest<br>Angel (I do not believe she met an angle)<br>with<br>marry<br>leading (instead of leaving, unless you don't want to make sense)<br>sense<br>also<br>tragedy<br><br>Also, we normally put spaces between words and after punctuation, and we capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence. There's also a minor detail called the run-on sentence. Avoid them. I'm almost impressed at how you managed to have a run-on which is also a fragment (it has no subject). That must require skill. You seem to have clear opinions and an almost intelligent level of vocabulary, but maybe you should work on your proofreading for next time. OK, thanks.

Unregistered
09-13-2003, 01:00 AM
i am sorry to say that yes this book is a drag. having a whole term on the damn book and three essay peices to complete on it, it really ruins it. the story its self is also somewhat a drag. she is a simple minded girl who even after alec's obvious attraction to her, didnt really have too much of a clue of his intentions. she told angel that she has slept with another man, and after that ended, went back to alec <-- if she loved angel as much as she said, she would not have been so stupid. then she killed him. i think she is just silly.

Unregistered
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Tess is probably one of the greatest canonicals ever (or so I hear) but when over analysed in school, I must agree, it is the boredom personified. <br><br>When I began reading, it was all good and well, she was nice and ordinary, having all this potential to be such a great character. Then after the confusement which has been clarified to me as being the 'rape' scene (gossamer, coarse pattern, doesn't that just sum up the entire graphic writing on it), she just got annoying as her whining started to steadily increase. <br><br>Angel as a character pissed everyone off which has read firstly for his name, with its ironic paradox to his actions in the book, and then to his stupid hypocritical way of thinking. <br><br>Tess herself became the embodiment of stupid naive girl for me. I understand that's what her character is all about, but honestly, no real woman is that incredibly stupid and fickle. Hardy's sympathetic writing of her does nothing for me. It's a male writing about a naive, his version of a perfect, female. Of course, she is almost no different to any other female in any canonical romance story I've read so far, the same incessant whining and guilty conscience. <br><br>Then again, Hardy, for all his 'good writing skills' isnt exactly the most original or best of authors. Frankly, his portrayal of Tess physically pains me on too many levels. <br><br>This is also ruined by the new movie of the book. The actress playing Tess has two expressions, Alec is made into a smarmy, sleazy guy of epic proportions and Angel is... not as 'divine' as I imagined him to be. Reading the book after getting solid imagery is more difficult with the influence of a bad portayal.<br><br>Makes studying it a double whammy.

Unregistered
03-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I agree, Tess maybe a really lovley book to read, but it just isn't one that should be forced amoungst us still in education. If i were to read it again i would have to do so on my own accord, without having the worry of an essay to write about it.<br>It has a great story line, but if you have to sit in a class full of your fellow class mates and read allowed with a different person reading each page, it just dosent work. It is ment to be a story that is enjoyed by the reader, not a story that puts you off reading another book like it again.

Unregistered
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I agree with the first statement, Tess of the D'Urbervilles is a great book - but having to analyse and over analyse the book severval times for my english class; finding every single hidden meaning and reference to something and the symbols and motifs and themes explained in a trillion different ways. This book leaves a LOT to be desired, it is severely boring and i can only see its relevance to those who have a great deal of interest in the history of Thomas Hardy himself and not what this book is all about.<br>HOWEVER granted its historical meaning - no-one below the age of 20 cares!!! If that means we are adolescent and immature; not intelligent enough to understand the greater meaning of this book(HA) - so be it.

Hpets
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I totally agree that, for a "read and then write an essay" book, this one's not super enjoyable. Maybe I would have liked the story a bit more if I hadn't been forced to read the final half of the book in a day and a half. I have to write an essay about "Tess" tomorrow, and at the moment I'm finding that there really aren't any topics of interest (for me, at least) to write about... sure there are things like symbolism, character comparison, etc., but I'm having trouble finding enough to work with...<br><br>...By the way, Clare... lighten up on the condescending attitude.

Amy
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
i totally agree with this coment im 15 and there makin the top set english study it in school...i dnt understand the language and writing an essay on it, isnt easy, i totally agree with this.

Draco
04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
yea generally speaking i agree that this book lost much after it bacame a piece of my homework. (That's why i'm online searching for info anyway...) But u can't really expect much of that rural girl. She didnt' get much education and just look at her parents! u don't expect a girl who wasn't intelligent from the very beginning to be at least sensible if she just lived in *that* family.<br>and to Clare: pls don't get too hard on it :) the sole perpuse of language on the internet is for people to understand what you're saying that's all. :)

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm sure Tess may be a lovely book to some people but when you are forced to over-analyse it during school to write an essay on it, it just seems like a drag.