PDA

View Full Version : Great

Tessa
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
This book is the most impressive book i have ever read. I am still in highschool, but an avid reader and i have yet to come across any author that i enjoy more than Thomas Hardy himself. This book took me on one of the most intense roller-coaster rides of emotion i have ever been on and i am very quick to offer it on loan to any one of my friends interested in a truly good read. It is a novel of intense and deep emotional attachment and to me, it will always remain one of the greatest novels of all times. It should be required literature in English classes and this novel was the first to truly change my perspective of the entire english language. I am infatuated with Hardy's word choice and perspective. Since reading this novel last year, i have read almost all of Thomas Hardy's other written works and intend on reading them again and again. Each one offers a another chance to experience what i felt the first time i read Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Proper spelling is an important thing for an English teacher to have. (amongst, truly, imagery etc)

Unregistered
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Hardy was a pretentious village school drop-out. Educated at home through periodicals, he always felt out of place in the literary society into which he was abosrbed. Because of this, he is deeply insecure and thus uses pseudo-latinate words to make himself look clever. That, and "I have yet to read such an extrodinary piece of literature" implies that you havent yet. Which would explain why you are so pleased with the book.

ally
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
God i hate people like you, whoever anonymous is! God the poor girl made a few typos...get a life mate!!! What she said was amazingly insightful and the way she put across what Tess meant to her shows a true passion for literature and this book, which is THE most important thing for an English teacher....<br><br>Ally

Becky
03-20-2005, 06:43 PM
if you think Tess is good, you have to read Wuthering Heights. It is legendary and absolutely mind-blowing- it will change your life and emotions completely.

Rachel
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I always heard people talking about how certain books changed their lives, and always thought it was a bit silly..until it actually happened to me. I first picked up a copy of Tess of the d'Urbervilles the summer before my sophomore year in high school, and since then (I'm a junior in college currently) I have yet to read such an extrodinary piece of literature. I think this is the book that made me fall in love with the English language, and literature as a whole; and I now aspire to teach it. There is no question in my mind that it is a superb book, and even amoungst the lovely imagry and provacative diction, the best part by far is the tale and the emotions it evokes. This was the first novel which stirred up so deep feelings inside myself that I was rendered speechless when I finished it, like I wanted to cry but was too empty/drained to do so. I would (and have) strongly recommend Tess to anyone truely seeking good literature.