PDA

View Full Version : a major instrument of social stability

antonio
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi, i am a Chilean student and i have to say that i am amazed with this piece of art. Althought this book is pure science fiction, it deals with some really pivotal issues in our society today. first i think it is progress and how many things are we willing to give up for it, so we can live in a perfect and peaceful world.<br>second is the struggle between individual and society, how this one is pushed to do what the majority says, and if he doesn't want to, he can go to hell, well in this case to Islandia.<br>I think Huxley tried to say with this novel that every achievement, implies a cost, thus if we get a great achievement, the cost is high and that is exactly what happens here because in that world, where everything it is so "happy", so stable, but stability has a price and it is nothing but the very esence of the human being, the lack of feelings and most of all the incapacity to think, to speak for our selves, where we are no longer a person, but machines designed to produce and consume and the concepts "I, me or mine" are replaced for others more convenient, like "we, our and ours" . <br>What a breaktrough would be that! an enviroment developed to keep the population in a state of childhood, unable to decide because someone already did it for you, you don't have a mind and you don't need it.<br>The experience of drug is also important, with soma it is so easy to get away from all the problems you might have, but finally you will become a slave of the very thing you think it is your salvation.<br>It is scary to think that somehow we are living in a brave new world, because science is becoming a menace in it self,despite all its benefits also many people, on the other hand, is so dependent of their drugs, their distractions for their minds and souls, and this insturments are just a substitute of what deep inside we are looking for, hapiness, love, desire or even hate. it is very sad that many people at this very moment is reaching all those sensations thanks to a pill <br>scary isn't it? <br><br><br>Straight from the horse's mouth.