PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Kaiserbismark
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
All three books of the Divine Comedy are amazing, but before you read the latter ones, you must start with the beginning. While Dante does a good job of painting images into your head, it takes the background of what happened in the previous books to contrast those images, as he intended it to be. I would highly recommend the entire series, read in order.

bamango
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree, it is best to read "Inferno" first, even though it is difficult and disturbing. But then, like Dante, you get to move up to the lighter aspects of Purgatorio. That's where I am now, and I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Behemoth
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree - while Inferno is the best known part of the Comedy, and it's certainly striking in terms of its imagery and subject matter, Purgatorio has always touched me more, and I find it deeply moving.

Wilde woman
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes, Purgatorio is my favorite of the three cantiche. I feel like everything on Purgatory is so much like our world (I guess that makes sense because it's the only one which is actually set on the Earth) and everyone can relate to the penitents struggling against their baser instincts and trying to become virtuous. Also, the descriptions of the Earthly Paradise are among some of the most beautiful in the entire Comedy.

Plus, I think Purgatorio has a great sense of drama. We all know Virgil cannot move on with Dante into Paradise, so we're all waiting for that fatal moment when Virgil leaves. But when it happens, it's absolutely devastating. I, for one, felt some resentment against Statius and Beatrice for replacing Virgil.

And then, there's all of Beatrice's reprimanding of Dante...I think, if properly filmed, that could make a very emotional scene on the big screen.