PDA

View Full Version : pusillanimous

Brianne
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have recently started reading Don Quixote, for fun, and came across an interesting word ---pusillanimous. Don Quixote says it to Panza during one of their first conversations together, wherein Panza is saying he'd doubt that he fight anyone or something like that. The point is he said, " I doubt it" and Don Quixote replied, "Don't doubt....." and then he used the word pusillanimous in relation to what he was talking about. Basically saying don't be lacking in courage! (or unmanly or as some guys say to other guys-- don't be a ....well you know). <br> I really like the language in this novel. It's highly amusing to me.

Adventure Man
11-28-2007, 03:36 AM
I have recently started reading Don Quixote, for fun, and came across an interesting word ---pusillanimous. Don Quixote says it to Panza during one of their first conversations together, wherein Panza is saying he'd doubt that he fight anyone or something like that. The point is he said, " I doubt it" and Don Quixote replied, "Don't doubt....." and then he used the word pusillanimous in relation to what he was talking about. Basically saying don't be lacking in courage! (or unmanly or as some guys say to other guys-- don't be a ....well you know). <br> I really like the language in this novel. It's highly amusing to me.

I had some difficulty with it to start, but my author seemed to use the same obscure words over and over. Hence I didn't have to keep my dictionary too handy (unless I forgot the meaning lol)

andave_ya
07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
YESSSS!!! That's one of the best parts!! Sancho going on and on and on with those side-splittingly funny proverbs only to be eruditely shut up by one of the Don's succinct sentences containing words like "pusillanimous." Brilliant! Fantastic!!

Srdjana
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
YESSSS!!! That's one of the best parts!! Sancho going on and on and on with those side-splittingly funny proverbs only to be eruditely shut up by one of the Don's succinct sentences containing words like "pusillanimous." Brilliant! Fantastic!!

I'm totally interested in thise word you were mentioning. I'm from Serbia, and I've read the book, but I haven't come with that verb..

L.M. The Third
02-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Pusillanimous. I can remember the day that word kept running through my mind during a long hike. :rolleyes5:

Alexroma
03-27-2011, 09:06 PM
:nonod: Unfortunately, this word does not have anything in common with a... what you imagine. It is derived from Latin pusillus ("very small") + animus ("spirit") :p

Brecca Marvin
09-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I do love the form of english they use in here:) it's fun and takes a little brain power to know what their saying. I like how at the very begining he's like " I need a maiden inorder to be a knight." It made me laugh what interesting things go through his head, but at the same time knowing he's crazy makes it a little sad. I wonder dose he show signs of being crazy yet to people or just a man who lives in his dreams? is he a danger to him self walking about on these "adventures". In my copy they have little illistrations and when I would come apon them I would take time to look at them because I always think there's going to be something more in them. well for now I'm enjoying the book and can't wait to finish it!:iagree: