PDA

View Full Version : Aldous Huxley--more than a novelist and poet?

Vronaqueen
07-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Did Aldous Huxley write movies? I was watching my copy of Pride and Prejudice (193?) and the opening credits read, written by Aldous Huxley. Could it be the same man?

Molokai
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
it is he.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Huxley,+Aldous

Vronaqueen
07-30-2003, 01:08 PM
that's cool, i would have never thought it

Munro
07-31-2003, 05:30 AM
I don't think he did a very good job of it though, personally. That Hollywood version was just a chance seized by a production company trying to gain money off a popular story during a time when people didn't want to think about war, economics or reality in general.

It wasn't at all true to the book, and the only thing I liked about it was Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier's performances as Elizabeth and Darcy. It wasn't even filmed in England. The BBC series, as I mentioned in another topic, is absolutely brilliant! I recommend that to you if you're up for a six part series and some lovely English scenery. Or then again...how did you find the film? I've been explaining my view so much I forgot to ask. I know some people who preferred it.

It is known that Huxley failed in his attempted career as a Hollywood script-writer, and he didn't apparently enjoy it at the time, either.

Vronaqueen
08-01-2003, 10:21 PM
it was on television one night and i stumbled across it. And your right, i fell in love with laurence olivier and garson's performances. Even thought it strays from the book, it was expected for movies to be fun excuses for ignoring war during that time. And it is nice to put on every once and awhile when life gets kind of harsh.

I'm gonna have to pick up that BBC version. Does it have the scene where Elizabeth goes to Darcy's mansion when she thinks he's not home? that's my favorite part in the book.

stavrokin
08-03-2003, 06:25 AM
i find Munro is versatile and resourceful.

i'm sure i will learn more from your attractive post

;)