PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

tony
06-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Ignorance, ignorance, ignorance. Can you just tell me how do you find entertaining the time you spend watching those Hollywood films full of violence, hatred and ignorance for other people's culture? Go ahead, watch Rambo and Die Hard my dear redneck

maria angel
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
First of all I would like to say that i am only 13years old but still read and like good literature like Don Quixote.This book is not about a guy who destroys windmills,that would be stupid wouldn't it?And never judge a book by what other people say or just a brief summary of it.Read the book.This book tells you what happens to a person named Don Quixote who has a very interesting imagination.HE looks at things in a different way than most people would.HE imagines that he is a knight and saves people and slaves,and imagines that a thing like a village is actually a castle and so on.And it is about the adventures he has on this interesting journey.If you happen to like this book after you read it,i reccomend you also read Lord of the Rings and THE Hobbit.Also THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND written by JULES VERNE is very interesting too.

Naru Rikage
What is the purpose? I think it is entertaining, as it really is funny to observe moronic and insiduously idiotic events take place, but what makes this book what the higher critiques call 'a classic'?<br><br>I have no idea. Don Quixote is, to me atleast, a cowardly mad man. What most people mistake for bravery is, in reality, sheer stupidity. He's so blinded to reality that he can't distinguish real from fake. <br><br>I think the reason so many people fall in love with this book is because they are reminded of themselves, or what they want themselves to be, not because Don Quixote is such a great character. Everyone dreams, and everyone imagines, but not everyone becomes disillusioned by this. <br><br>All I can say is that he seems to be an incompetent, ineffectual moron. <br><br>Debate that if you, but that is what I believe.<br><br><br>But in his final defense, I will say this: Even if he lived like a fool, at least he died a wise one.

KEN
Mike from Los Angeles,<br>I know it's hard to believe or should I say "imagine" how this story portrays the life of one man. But, if you think about it, it's the way many men would like to be. This story is about chilvary, honor, and romance. Yes, it sounds as if the character is mad or "loco en la caveza", but his trying to become something that has been lost through out time. Personally, I have just read a few chapters, but it's really a magnificient book to lose yourself and get away from all the the trivials of life. Have an open mind and enjoy.<br>KEN, TEXAS

Unregistered
If you can't read the book take the "F". Then drop out and work on your butt and be an actor.

ak
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
the way the author portrays the illusioned, so-called, knight errant full of this chivalric ideas---righting the wrong, succoring the suffering, freeing the oppressed and etc---is an ingenious method to get the point across under the sociopolitical circumstance of C's time, which can be applied to our sensitive time as well. what i mean here is the author derides, criticizes his society through the veil of this fantastic character; in consequence, by upsetting his patron/patroness because of sheer mockery on "high class" as you often observe in the story, he doesn't have to face the unpleasant situation in which his patroness refuses to patronize, that is to say, support his book printing. as you acknowledge, publication and printing of 17th century was not as a piece of cake as in our modern civilization which floods our every day life. besides all that, we can appreciate his witticism and great sense of humour in his language which make us just giggle and laugh at times while reading it. it is highly entertaining as well as didactic in our moral-crumbling time. hope what i wrote makes sense.

Ignacio Garita
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Mike, this book is great, don't listen to the bunch of morons, like Tony, who definitely needs to read more. Read the summaries, and if you like them, start reading the book. Obviously, the book is better since its not a summary, were you cant really appreciate the authors work, becauuse --- most of the book is not only the adventures, but the style of the author. His words make you understand, his style... The summaries, don't have that style, although they might be fun and entertaining. Most importantly, you shouldn't read a book because some moron named Tony, or some "anonymous" gay, i mean guy, says its one of the greatest book ever. Who gives a damn. You should read the book, because you like it. So read the summaries and if you like, then maybe you should read the book. <br>The book is about a caballero andante, or a knight named Don Quijote, who really is an old man. He sets out to look for adventures, even if he isn't a real, strong, smart knight. He goes out with his escudero, or squire, who is a funny fat guy named Sancho. Both of these characters set out and have a myriad of adventures, ranging from fighting giants (mills) to being in magical castles (Don Quijotes imagination) to dedicating fights to a fictional maid, Dulcinea. And there are stories within stories, which are great, if you have the time.<br>One of the mayor points of the book, is to understand that Don Quijote is really a knight in spirit, and that makes him noble. Even if he messes up everywhere, his intentions are noble, even if he is crazy his intentions are noble. This means, someone who doesn't have the abilities to do something (be a strong good knight) sets out to do it anyway, for the sake of goodness.<br>It may be the same for you; if you have not read Don Quijote, some like Tony, may consider you ignorant and think of you stupid or something, just because you havent read the book. It would be the same, if a "real" knight would encounter Don Quijote in the plains, and would make a mockery out of him because he doesn't know how to hold his shield, or because he is an old man pretending to be a knight. A REAL knight, would understand that even if Don Quijote hasn;t all the abilities, he is a knight in spirit, and thats the most important characteristic of this crazy old man, thus why the book is so sympathetic. Tony, doesn't seem do recognize this, and instead of encouraging you to read the book, he mocks at you just because you didn't have the chance to read it before, or because some problem in space and time, or because in your setting (in life), in the paths of your life, you haven't encoutered the book. Thats all your problem, which is no problem. <br><br>So in conclusion, its entertainment, because the guy thinks the windmills are giants, because his crazy, and his craziness passes on to his squire, which is the more fun because he begins believing what don Quijote sees and feels, and because his squire is a fat funny guy.<br><br>Also, Die Hard is a great movie, and violence is fun, because I like it, and well, those movies are superb. I've seen all of them. I know, Tony's spirit may not have the adventourus capabilities of Don Quijote, or Rambo, or Bruce Willis in Die Hard -- movies where a guy faces increidible odds and fights with his wit to overcome his circumstances, fighting with "bad" guys to surivive, and fight for whats best, for what is noble. Oh but, I forgot, these movies are fiction! Actually they are actors performing! Yeah they are fiction just like Don Quijote, but guess that movies and books dont have anything in common---people feel insulted sometimes, if you see a movie instead of reading the book, I dont know why--is that the case?

zorro
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
maybe you should stick to pulp fiction............or to TV listings.<br>Maybe the point was that.....oh never mind you still would't understand passion , love and dreams

DAVE
02-05-2005, 08:49 PM
SADLY, MIKE REFLECTS THE STATUS OF EDUCATION IN CALIFORNIA TODAY - IT SUCKS!

Sarah
02-11-2005, 04:21 PM
read the story and then when you are finished tell me you were not at all entertained.

Manny Ramirez
03-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I never read Don Quixote. I just want wanted to say that the Red Sox are the best so if you're a Yankee fan I want you to know that the Red Sox are definately gonna get in first in the AL east this year!

anon
03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Don Q is the SpongeBob Squarepants of his day. He tries to do what is right, but the rest of is world isn't seeing things the way he does and so he falls on his face. But he gets up again and continues to try to do the right thing, to be a good person inspite of the shallowness and superficiality of the world around him.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Mike,<br><br>I just read your comment and I do think, like the others, that you need to actually read the book before judging it. Don Quixote is not just about "a guy who goes around and destroys windmills." Its full of intrigue, suspence (read: finding out what injury Don Quixote will acquire on his mis-adventures), and excitement. But it still offers its readers more than just that. I invite you to dive in and have a great time reading it!!

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
"How is it entertaining?" If you have to ask, you'll never know, no matter how many explanations you are given. Perhaps after more living and life experiences, a widening of your mind, you can grasp it.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have never read this book. I was doing a report on it, and visited a website with a summary on it. What is the point of this story? I guy goes around and destroys windmills? How is it enertaining?<br><br>Mike, Los Angeles