PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Gray, a masterpiece

Valentina
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
wonderful. The best book I've ever read, a mix of love, passion, death, cuture, mistery. A travel trough the false values of the ociety, of the london bourgeoise at the end of the XIX century. And the usual fear of time which floats above us.

America141
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I agree it was a great book! It is filled with Wilde...a great quip there...a great quotation here....

~Maude~
11-03-2005, 12:36 AM
I think it was wonderful, too. One of my old faves, I'm glad you brought it up because it has been awhile since I last read it.

mingdamerciless
01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
I AGGGGGGREEEEEEEEE!!! absolutley brilliant. so thought provoking

malkatoj
04-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I just read this for school and it was amazing. Oscar Wilde is probably one of the best people who ever lived, and I'm a huge fan of his plays but Dorian Gray was one of the most addictive books (at least, that count as real literature) that I've ever read.

Though, does anyone else agree that Chapter 11 is extremely dull? It was the one thing I did not like about the book.

Charles Darnay
04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I just read this for school and it was amazing. Oscar Wilde is probably one of the best people who ever lived, and I'm a huge fan of his plays but Dorian Gray was one of the most addictive books (at least, that count as real literature) that I've ever read.

Though, does anyone else agree that Chapter 11 is extremely dull? It was the one thing I did not like about the book.

Look up the book "Against Nature" (this is the yellow book Lord Henry gave Dorian. If you are familiar with this book, chapter 11 becomes quite interesting and more enjoyable.

malkatoj
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm planning on reading Against Nature at some point. It was more the constant listing of information, as opposed to the plotline. If you've read The Princess Bride, it reminded me of "What with one thing and another, three years passed" simply because things didn't happen. I like character development, but only when there's plot involved, too.

However, once I find Against Nature, I'll re-read the chapter and see what I think.

Herr Herr
06-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Yes, I always found chapter 11 to be dreadfully boring. I'm oft tempted to skip it:) But, I think I also will try to find "Against Nature"!

hyperinsomnia
03-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Old thread, but, I didn't this book down once!

dotk
05-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Look up the book "Against Nature" (this is the yellow book Lord Henry gave Dorian. If you are familiar with this book, chapter 11 becomes quite interesting and more enjoyable.

i believe it wasnt entirely that exact copy that Lord henry gave to Dorian.
Wilde used it as a ideal. because Against Nature is different frm
that yellow book that is said of in e story.

anyway, Dorian is a really good read. period.

Hallword
12-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello, this is the first time I have posted on this website & I'm slightly nervous. I am not really sure what to think about Dorian Gray at times. The way he kills Basil Hallword seems like the actions of a deranged man. He was his friend, after all. The way he can't discern between reality and a stage performance when it comes to Sybil Vane is alarming.

I don't think this can be attributed to Harry, per se. He only says such things after someone's death. And seems to find something romantic about a tragic love suicide.

I just fancy chatting to people here about ideas on this novel. :)