PDA

View Full Version : Good Book

Michael Bargar
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I just read this book a few weeks ago, and immeadiately started to read it again just to try and understand what it is about. I think it is a great story, but it is funny that the way I found it was through quotes left in DEUS EX. The plot justs sucks you in and then floors you at the end.

Petro Vlad Ilich Ivanov
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The Book THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY is a great tale. I read it just a few weeks ago because segments of it were included in the game DEUS EX MACHINA: THE CONSPIRACY. I found the book to be a great adventure, a chilling horror story, a rousing Christian metaphor, and quite hilarious.

JoeLopp
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Really looking forward to getting into this myself, and will very soon! On the surface it seems a cross between Joseph Conrad's 'The Secret Agent' and Jack London's 'The Assassination Bureau, Ltd.' - both made into, respectively, a rather interesting indie movie and a camp 60's lickspittle... :nod:

JoeLopp
09-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, chapter 1, The Two Poets of Saffron Park, is in the books, as it were :goof:

Saffron, the sky's color, that of the brick of the locale, and that which is set to unfold all blend in quite neatly as metaphor.
Syme could use a livening up, of course his kind of protagonist is a popular one to enmesh in wild adventure.
Gregory is a decently crafted zealous revolutionary type, though his bringing Syme into the inner circle (which is where they seem to be heading at this stage) of 'Anarchists R Us' simply because he irritated and doubted Gregory, seems a trifle unrealistic in its pettiness.
And, I'm sorry, but the sister seems a throwaway character.
Well, looking forward to a ruthless case unfolding. Cheers!

JoeLopp
10-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Chapters 2 & 3 + 1 pg of 4

So, Syme has managed to outwit Gregory's outwitting attempt. Something didn't quite fit too securely, what w/ Gregory attempting a softening up of his political stance -no doubt at the shock of Syme's 'secret' identity- coupled w/ Syme's fevered 'act' to usurp the position of Thursday ... just did not quite fit, as I said.
I believe this has more to do w/ trying to get a grip on just who Syme really is? Which is how the beginning of ch.4 seems to be unfolding. Interesting to hear that he's never gone to the extremes of absinthe ... never cared for the stuff myself, though I've known those that do. :santasmil

JoeLopp
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Thru ch.5, all I can say is ... Bulwer Lytton = Ha-Ha! 'It was a dark and stormy night!' Even Chesterton got this way back when, though he spoke of the man's fictional villains. Still I suspect he appreciated the 'typecast'.

As to Sunday, while I cannot condone his villainous intents ... I can certainly respect a large man w/ a large appetite. Bon Appetit!

JoeLopp
11-06-2009, 08:32 PM
What an outstanding performance, and such eye to detail ... I recognize a true artiste instantly!

And, yes, totally agree, it is a debate, a veritable battle between idealism and realism when choosing how one is to enact a 'role'.

I prefer to let the character speak to me before making such decision... :brow:

Lynne50
11-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I read this quite a number of years ago, so many I can't remember any details, but the only thing I do remember is how much I liked the story.
I think I willl have to go back and revisit it.

JoeLopp
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
You should give it another look, Lynne!

It is finally Finis, for myself, and I must say Sunday is an exquisitely unforgettable character. I know, many will focus on the Christian metaphor which he represents ... but I? Ahh, he-ha, he is a character I would love to play and would gleefully abandon my long retirement from the stage to realize. I'm sure there are some scripts out there that have been adapted from the novel which it would be possible to revise... :banana:

Truthlover
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I read this book about four years ago. So the plot is kind of hazy at this distance of time. However, the impression that remains in me is of a dream. There is a way in which G.K. tells the story that reminds me of the way dreams develop. When I reached the end of the book, I wondered to myself What is the message the author is trying to communicate, somewhere beneath the story? I think I may have to read it again to figure this out.

kev67
03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Just finished this book. All I can say about it is hmmm http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/img/smiley-bored-1.PNG (not bored, just non-plussed). The final chapter was very odd. Didn't do it for me. If it were a movie, Terry Gilliam would film it.