PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Bob #2
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Ethan Frome is one of the most powerful books created, and that can't be arguable. It was anything but boring, specially with the tension existing between all characters and the passion between Ethan and Mattie. But the ending was truly horrifying and depressing to me. Although it contributed with Wharton's purpose, I have to admitt that I hated the ending with a deep passion. If there was no other way out of the misery ( since it was impossible for Ethan to escape because financial and other reasons), why couldn't Wharton just end the story with Mattie and Frome both dead? Yes, i know it sounds crazy, but at least in that sense, they could have escaped the harsh realities of the world, and could have been together at last. But no, Edith Wharton had to make them be both (Mattie and Ethan) miserable at the end(after the incident that should have ended their lifes), and have Mattie become even worse than Zeena, and Ethan live with even more despair. I do appreciate Wharton's style and the power that she can create even with the simplest words, but I just completely abhorred the way this awesome novel had to end. I know that not all endings are happy, as a matter of fact we live in a world of cruel truths and realities, but I wish there could have been another way for love, hope and freedom.