PDA

View Full Version : so-so

Cate
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Now I must start by saying that Ethan Frome is not the type of book i would usually pick up. I, too, had to read it as a school assignment, and it suprisingly wasn't that bad at all. Although I did become tired with the ironic and depressing tale at times, I respect the book for its literary aspects. There are many underlying themes that can be picked up and can be taken anyway you want. You can sympathize with any one or all of the characters for some reason or another. <br>I honestly would recommend this classic -- beats today's love tragedies

mimilee
07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Although the story is about Ethan Frome's life, I do not feel sorry for him. If anything, I feel sorry for his wife Zeena. She married a depressed man who evetually fell in love with her cousin. Zeena might have been *****y but she did not deserve the life that he gave her. If he did not want to be with her, then he should have just left. I don't feel sorry for Mattie either. She ruined whatever life Ethan and Zeena could of had by sticking around. Zeena let her stay even though she knew that Mattie was destroying her life with her husband. What a selfish little girl! Shame on both Ethan and Mattie. They both deserved what they got but not Zeena. People should always be true to themselves and try not to hurt other people.

crazylover
07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I am reading the book now as a school project....and I needs help cause these questions they are asking me are upsettin the hell out of me...lol if anyone can help please contact [email protected]

tbrown
08-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Although the story is about Ethan Frome's life, I do not feel sorry for him. If anything, I feel sorry for his wife Zeena. She married a depressed man who evetually fell in love with her cousin. Zeena might have been *****y but she did not deserve the life that he gave her. If he did not want to be with her, then he should have just left. I don't feel sorry for Mattie either. She ruined whatever life Ethan and Zeena could of had by sticking around. Zeena let her stay even though she knew that Mattie was destroying her life with her husband. What a selfish little girl! Shame on both Ethan and Mattie. They both deserved what they got but not Zeena. People should always be true to themselves and try not to hurt other people.

I would have to disagree with you. I don't pity Zeena as much as Ethan and Mattie, and at most, I pity her at an equal level.
During Ethan and Zeena's fight, she says, "My folks all told me at the time you couldn't do no less than marry me" regarding Ethan's mother causing Zeena to get sick.
So, basically, both Zeena and Ethan were using eachother for company. We are constantly told that there was no love there whatsoever. It seems to be more of a matter of convenience.
Zeena makes it sound as though, due to her assistance with his dying mother, he now owes her a marriage and financial support. She wanted out of that relationship, just as much as he did, hence her struggle to make his life a total hell. I think she was begging for pity and hoping that one day he would leave her.
I don't believe Ethan and Zeena ever had anything, therefore Mattie's only effect on that relationship was that she added joy to one of their lives.

Susie Q.
03-29-2006, 09:35 PM
WHAT? Zeena is terrible. When Ethan married her, he had no idea that she was ailing and she became silent and broody. He had married her because he owed her and because he was tired of the silence. Then, she stopped talking! That was ALL he wanted. A few kind words is not much to ask...I'd have fallen in love with the hired girl(who had nowhere else to go) too. Sorry...