PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Jessica
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am another person that has the misfortune of writing about Ethan Frome and his troubles. However, I have found many things in this book that I respect. The class that I am in required me to read this book twice, first time to understand it and second time to analyze it. I found that Ethan's life is riddled with misfortunes and woven with failures. He never loved the woman he had, but fell for the woman he never could get. Personally, I don't think Ethan ever loved Zeena, but maybe she loved him. Ethan failed to give Zeena his attention and praise, so she then began to make sympathy through her health. But really the question I have is: Did Ethan love or lust for Mattie? Did Mattie really love Ethan or did she just use him for company? He failed to continue his studies, he failed to leave the farm, he failed to pursue his dreams, he failed to stand up to his wife, he failed to protect Mattie, and he even failed suicide. Mr. Ethan Frome seemes cursed. However, he trudges through the day, a strong man with a weak spirit, bound by the misfortunes of a rutted road.