PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom of the Opera

Jessica Lewis
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I saw the ALW play here in Los Angeles when I was 10 years old. When I was 11 I finally read the book... in two days. Since then I have read it again and again probably about 5 times. It is by far my favorite novel. The reporter style that Leroux writes in adds a new dimension to the characters pulling them out of the fiction section and into reality. Everytime I read the book I fall in love with the Erik again. And I always cry at his monologue at the end of the book. After all these rereadings, it still moves me.<br> 2 years ago I traveled to Paris and stood in front of the Opera Garnier. It was beautiful! I was so excited my friend (now the man I am going to marry) could hardly keep me still long enough to take a picture. I was able to go inside and see the stair case but there were rehearsals going on and I was not able to see the stage or Box 5. I walked around the house and imagined where different things would have happened, carriages waiting and wondering what part of the lake was beneath my feet. At that point in time I was reading the novel, again, and in the middle of the chapter on the roof. I was dying to see it for myself but gave up. My friend, Matt, pointed to a near by building, we went up to the roof and looked down on the Opera house. It was amazing! Dusk, gorgeous sunset and an amazing picture of what Raoul and Christine would have looked like talking. It was amazing to read the book after that trip and have a personal image of the figure of Apollo and other locations mentioned.<br> Now at 20, I just saw the play for the 3rd or 4th time, this time with Matt. He loved the play and just finished "Box Five" of the book. I cannot wait to share the whole book with him and hope he enjoys it as much as I do. Needless to say I am getting ready to read the book yet again.

prc_rotc2009
07-24-2005, 08:57 PM
you are lucky!i would love to go to the opera house that started it all!im 14.....i just started getting into the phantom of the opera after seeing the movie,now im reading the book and seen the movie twice.im dying to see the play and go to the opera house.i know ur post is old but i just started coming here.tell me is the book that good?

emilysweety
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I wish I could visit the Paris Opera house on my honeymoon...that would be awesome(pardon my spelling)!! I saw the musical on Broadway(the Majestic Theatre) last Wednesday. I intend to see it again next year! Merry Christmas by the way. ;)

Phangirl7
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I saw the musical once and would love to see it over and over again. I've seen the movie about 6 or 7 times.
Hopefully, I will see the musical again someday!
P.G.7.