PDA

View Full Version : Book and Play.

Beth
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
There's a slight possibility that it could be based on a real person. You never know<br>

Haley
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
The story is fiction, but according to legend: There was a man named Erik who helped build the Paris Opera House, and loved it so much that once it was completed he begged to be allowed to stay and live like a hermit within it's walls. Supposedly, this story trickled down to Leroux and inspired him to write "Le Fantome de l'Opera." But like I said, the book itself is simply historical fiction.

Vehred
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
The story was inspired by Leroux's visit to the Opera House. He recalled the 1896 incident of the fallen chandelier, and combined this element with characters who existed in reality: Raoul and his brother, Phillipe, and even Miss Daae herself. They say Leroux thought it interesting if an architect grew so attached to his work that he should choose to live there, thus creating the historical underground lake as the home of the Phantom, an architect with a flare for music.<br>He combines fact with the so-called fiction so well that "the join between truth and imagination is blurred to the point of invisibility". Taking 'accounts' as told by the Persian and Raoul de Chagny certainly sounds convincing, and yet again the audience is left to decide whether or not to believe in the ghost story.<br>If I've been of any help, I feel my purpose served. But should I go further to say that I agree with the myth?

Unregistered
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
It's kind of real... there was some contracter who after the completion of the building begged to be allowed to stay in the cellars. Somehow though... i think Leroux refer's to that fellow as "the shade"?? Oh I don't know... but no matter what any one thinks, the story is more or less true to me. Of course Leroux couldn't possibly get down to the fine details like scenes with Raoul and Chrisitne etc etc.. but whatever.. TIS A TRUE STORY!!! ERIK EXISTED!! ri--ght..

Unregistered
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I was curious too, so I did some homework. I found out that in the early 1900s they found an "apartment" below the Paris Opera House. They also found a body of a person, with a gold ring on the right ring finger. It was too early to do a carbon dating, because that hasn't been invented yet, so they did an autopsy and found out that the skull had been disfigured, and that that person did have a facial problem. They also found the lakes still under the Opera House today. Other than that, nothing else. Hope that helps. <br>I loved ALW musical and have been to see it many times. I LOVE reading Gastons book "Le Fantome de l'Opera."

David
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Leroux actually said himself in the opening of the book that yes, it was in fact a true story. Christine Daae and Raoul du Chagny where real people, and they did actually disappear one night in the Paris Opera House, much like is described in the book. the reason the book is placed in the Fiction section is not because it is a fiction but because it is a story, and like a lot of stories it has been put into the ficition section regardless of wether it is or not.

margie poo
04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
The way I look at it is that even if it was a true story, the author may have fictionalized the story or parts of the stroy he ended up writing, which means that it would be put in the fiction section.

Amanda
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I saw Andrew Lloyd Weber's 'Phantom of the Opera' when I was 15 years old, on Broadway. It was the most outstanding performace that I have seen on Broadway, so far. I was so intrigued by it that I started learning all of the sheet music for it at my piano lessons. I'm 19 now and I just finished reading the book, for my own pleasure. I loved both the play and the book so much, that I can't really say which one was better. There was nothing in this story that didn't capture my attention fully. My favorite character was Erik, by far. Also. I've heard that this is a true story, but the book is in the fiction section of the library. This would make me assume that it is merley just a story. If any one knows wether this is truely fiction or not, please let me know. Thanks!!!

emilysweety
12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
"The Phantom of the Opera"----the LONGEST Broadway running show!! And it actually beat the best film of all time: TITANIC!! Its ticket sold $3.2 billions!!!!!!!! But TITANIC only sold $1.9 Billions. I am in love with TITANIC and The Phantom of the Opera both...

Phangirl7
05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
PHANTOM BEAT OUT TITANIC! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! YAY! No offense, Titanic lovers, but I'm happy about this. I have seen the musical and read the book. (I think I'm on my 8th or 9th time through it.) It is a wonderful story.
GO ERIK!
P.G.7.