PDA

View Full Version : Classic piece of literature!

Unregistered
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Read Phantom of Manhattan, by Frederick Forsyth. It is a good follow up to Phantom of the Opera.

Dana
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
You know, I thought about it, but after looking at some reviews, it seems the general consensus is that it wasn't very good... though perhaps I'll give it a try. As a follow up, I would like to read "Progeny" by Becky L. Meadows. Currently, I'm reading "Phantom" by Susan Kay and enjoying it immensely (heart-wrenching as it is!). It provides wonderful insight on Erik's character!

Haley
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
"The Phantom of Manhattan" is alright, I suppose, but it just didn't capture me as did the original. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book, I just personally think that the original stands fine all by itself without a follow-up. Yes, I would like to know what happened to Christine and Raoul, but I'm happier imagining a secluded happily-ever-after. Besides, Forsyth doesn't follow Leroux exactly, but instead follows Lloyd-Webber. I love the musical, but that's one thing, while reading material is another entirely, and the original should be followed if at all.

Unregistered
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Foryth follow's ALW, Kay's is kinda a mix between the Leroux and MC's portrayal... and um.. i noe how much others like it and all, but i seriously prefer Leroux's to it. I don't know, she gives you no room to imagine, and so far she's been hitting me in all the wrong spots. I believe it a good book, but i get more inspiration form Leroux... yupsy.. i write phan phics... or poems.. whatever. I believe Kay's would be very enjoyable to most, but for some strange reason, not to me. LEROUX'S ROCKS! yeah, i get you entirely on the humour bit... the Masquerade... "Poo.." etc etc.. LOL!

Dana
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
After seeing the play, I developed a great interest in the story of The Phantom of the Opera and could hardly wait to read the book. Though I was a bit disappointed to find it wasn’t written in the same gothic air that other such classic novels used, I enjoyed the more contemporary humor of Gaston Leroux. I find his characters and their dialog believable as well as entertaining. This classic tale definitely has worthy roots and I look forward to “further uncovering the Phantom’s legacy” if you will. =)

emilysweety
12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I could MEET the Phantom of the Opera someday. I would do anything to see him, even just a glance would be enough...

Phangirl7
05-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I've never read this and based on the reviews I've read, I'm not sure I want to, but I being the Huge Phantom Phan I am, I may just read it anyway, 'cause it's Phantom!
P.G.7.