PDA

View Full Version : addicting thriller

Irene Truong
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have to but say that Phantom of the Opera is a great horror story and even though I hate to admit that I usually despise horror books, this one was exceptionally good. The love between Erik and Christine is so ROMANTIC! And one more thing to say; I saw Kane, N, and anonymous's "pathetic" comments and I jest need to say that "if nothing nice comes out of that trap of yours, then shut it!"

Phangirl7
08-22-2009, 12:20 PM
It is a great horror story. I'm on my 7th reading and I'm suprised I haven't had any nightmares yet!
P.G.7.

lillottezobel
11-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with the last bit. NOT THE POINT. Anyway, I think the format-of a news journal report style-should have some credit in the success. Also, it isn't only a mystery-I put it in the genres of Horror, Classic, Romance. My name for the mix- a new genre I call "Leroux".

Leannain
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
It wasn't about a love story. The Phantom of The Opera concerns the value of beauty human beings add on other people, the lack of respect a genius receives(during his lifetime) and the fragility of Human relationships.

Erik never loved Christine. He was bewitched by her beauty and was emotionally dwarfed by his lack of physical appeal; which in turn made him a very bitter man.

Christine. She never loved The Phantom. Or Raoul. She was a little girl. Lost in the world. Both her parents had died, she had no one. What was a woman to do, during those dark times? Women had to get married by a certain age or they'd be "old news."

What Cristine wanted(and gave her beauty and youth for that) was guidance. Protection. She lacked the strength of a father. Hence, she looked for that male power in the figure of the Phantom - The Angel of Music.

But Raoul came along and his money, position, status and power was far more "rewarding" than whatever the Phantom could give her. You know, women don't survive on love.

It's true that many, many women would look at this in a romantic light. To be honest, can a woman look at anything and not see some romance/love story in it? ;).

What Erik and Christine shared was an obsession(Erik obsessed over her like the Edward Character from the Twilight books) while Christine obsessed over her lost father; the violinist from the frozen land.

Raoul, that fella, he was in love with the sweet little girl he met when he was a little child. If he had been clearer in his mind(not let his mind be flooded by chemicals), he would've realized Christine wasn't interested in him per se. She wanted the protection he was capable of giving by being a young, in shape man(youth means he can protect her longer) being in shape means he has the strength and vitality to defend her from other men(women look for the safety feeling when they want a mate) and his money, status(title: his value in society, how he was above other males) and power clinched it for her.

If the Phantom was rich and powerful like Raoul, Christine would've stayed with the Phantom instead. Why? The Phantom was obsessed over her. She had what he most longed for(Beauty and a music talent to match his own); he'd stay with her, until he died, leaving to her all his security. But, the little "bonus" of his aggression and frustration didn't help his case.

Christine was a woman. Like it's clearly stated in every single page. A young woman, true. But a woman. And women(like men do) think firstly of the "WIIFM" Principle of Love.

"What's in it for me?"

Great book, nonetheless.