PDA

View Full Version : Human masterpeice

Jessi
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is a great book in every way. Please allow me to point out the difficult to understand occurences in the begining. They are explained and add some mystery to the plot. Gaston Leroux was not perfect, keep in mind he was human and try to write better, but much was also lost when translation to English occured. The length of the novel insures an easy read, or at least one not too challenging. Erik's actions must however be explained by pointing out that he is a traumatized genius who has never been loved and never will be, except in the hearts of the readers who have one. He is not simply a "murderer" or the "dog that would die for [Christine]". He needn't be analyzed to be understood, but look beyond the actions and apperances to find Erik. Maybe he isn't the legend we made him, maybe better, maybe worse. All the murders were caused accidentally or by necessity. This book inspireed tens, maybe hundreds of plays, movies, books, and songs, even by Iron Maiden. It is the best purchase I have ever maid, launching me into and endless obsession, from elementary school, to now, Freshman year at high-school. The personalities of the characters, the operas so eerily connected to the story, the lack of obvious explanations, and various other little touches would keep a patient reader hooked. It is the only book I have willingly, for my sake alone, taken notes in, and probably always will be. DO NOT read this if you are looking for a gory murder thriller, as this is a romanti tragedy. And if you do read it, don't stop there. Read it again, dive into the legend in every form you can find it. You may be surprised at what you might discover. Pay attention when you read because this is NOT a work to be blown off, you may miss something you may regret having ignored later. And to better enjoy the book, don't keep wondering if Erik is real, pretend he is. <br> P.S. I would like to point out that Raoul DOES love Christine, and even "leaned against the wall in pain" when he heard "the man's voice in the dressing room".

Phangirl7
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Well said, Jessi! Brava!
P.G.7.

lillottezobel
11-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I am in complete agreeement, and think those are the words I actually used when I was trying to convince a friend to read it. Maybe you and I are twins seperated at birth :) .