PDA

View Full Version : a good read

Unregistered
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
This "aristocracy" in the play, does NOT exist today. That is a very simplistic and jealous view of the upper class in today's society.

Unregistered
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Yeah, it's like he's saying that everything that should matter, dosen't matter to them! They'd rather live a lie, than tell the truth...cause the lie is so much more interesting. Death, love, religion and education is not near as importanat as looking good, proper class and for Jack and Algernon; food Then there is the parts that are just about nothing!! It is like a glimpse of what Seinfeld would have been like in the 19th century...haha..anyways, I totally agree with you..it is priceless...I have only seen it acted out in my Eng. class, but have to see it on stage sometime SOON!

HIlda
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I completely agree that the play makes fun of religion, politics, and the so called aristrocacy. Although some may feel it does not exist in today's world, I feel that there are some forms of aristrocacy still evident today. Even if there wasn't, the play can still be applied to the multitudes of people that make society as superficial as it is.

Unregistered
03-20-2005, 08:17 PM
It is not a satire, it is a farce. Consider Highet and Bacon's analysis of the differences between the two. Wilde has no intention of changing the aristocracy, only to poke fun at them.

Stephanie
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
i thought that this was a very well written satire. it is basically making fun at the aristocracy and how they are just so carefree and how nothing matters to them. i found it to be very funny because it still stands true today. if anyone feels the same way that i do, please email me at [email protected]<br><br>hope you enjoyed it as much as i did<br>steph