PDA

View Full Version : Borges and I

Downer
07-18-2003, 07:33 AM
I was introduced to Borges about 15 years ago and his works are the ones I most commonly re-read. however not being able to speak his native language I have to rely on the translations and I wonder how much of what I read is in there from the translator ( Andrew Hurley in this case).
I can't find any of his books translated by anyone else which is a pity as I'd like to compare two translations of the same story - can anyone give me pointers or has anyone had the pleasure here of reading them in the original?

Downer

crisaor
07-19-2003, 12:50 PM
I've had the pleasure (I still do) of reading them in the original. However, I can't give you any pointers on an english translator. It's a pity you don't know spanish, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Spanish/English and English/Spanish translations aren't something particularly difficult, so your copy shouldn't be missing as much as you think, regardless of who translated it.

Blackadder
07-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Have you tried scoping out Barnesandnoble.com or Amazon.com for different versions? You might also try out Powell's website.

Borges is such an influential and innovative author I'm sure that other people have taken a crack at him.