PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
read the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo (check spelling on the last name) its short and a real soul searching book. Also, I've heard that Sophie's World is one you should check out

Sonia
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
"When things fall appart", by Pema Chödrön, is a really amazing book. I think you'll like it. And the Dalai Lama's books are really, really moving and inspiring (you don't have to be Bhuddist to appreciate them, believe me).

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I will support the previous comment by suggesting Cohelo, not only the alchemist but also the rest of his work such as Veronica decides to die. However, I would valuate Cohelo as Hesse's copy.

I'd like to suggest Frank Herbert's Dune... not so much a book that makes you search your own soul... but it makes you search other's and also is a very intense read...

Sarey
06-23-2004, 01:00 AM
The Bible is the ultimate spiritual book. It is God manifested in writing. The Bible has over 4,000 prophesies that were written over 200 years before the life of Christ-- and Christ fulfilled each one. When Scholars found the Dead Sea Scrolls in the 1940's they finally had absolute proof that the documnets were not forged. The Bible offers so many sipritual ideas and guidelines that can benefit your life far more than any other book-- even books as amazing as Siddhartha. The Bible teaches you about the leader that impacted more peoplet hroughout the World than any other, the True, Holy, Son of God.

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 05:35 PM
<br>I read "The Messiah" by Richard Bach around the same time I first read Siddartha. I continue to love them both.

Unregistered
03-18-2005, 01:02 PM
in tune with the infinite. unfortunatly it has been a while since i read it. I no longer remeber the Author or other info. but it is worth searching for. good luck.

teddy
03-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I agree entirly with the others segestions of the book THINGS FALL APART- but the authors name is CHINUA ACHEBE i read it for an antropology classs.....its a great read. My teacher said the book is like two things. A meusem exibit where by you get pieces of african cluture and it is a story. the important things is that it is a look at the african colonializm from an africans point of view. it was the first book of this kind to be written. it has great irony and is about a man dominated by anger to his father who he did not respect for being a musiacian. it shows human qualities adherent to men of all times and places. If you want to read my essay on it please email me---it is a great book i know you will like it. please email me if you are interested.

eshana
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Read 'The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali' and 'The Bhagavad Gita'. There are literally hundreds of translations of these two Yogic texts. They also form part of the literature (or scripture?) of the Hindu religion - and after all, Siddharta Gautama was a Hindu before his Samadhi! Good contemporary translations of the above books are by Sri Swami Satchidananda, very readable, very relevant to the world we live in now. You will find these books are available from any theosophic book store. May your life journey be filled with truth and peace.

Wendy
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Eckhart Tolle's books, The Power of Now and Stillness Speaks show a little of how we can find relief from our human angst by simply being present in who we are at the moment. He, like Siddhartha, had an awakening after falling into depths of dispair. His ability to put into words his concepts of finding peace within ourselves is simple and profound.

Joel
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This was a great book, i think that Herman Hess has done a fantastic job in showing the reader an inside view of what happens to someone as they strive for enlightenment. Does anybody else know of any other good spiritual books?? thanks.