PDA

View Full Version : Leo Tolstoy

Nevolia
07-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Has anyone here ever read the works of Leo Tolstoy?
He was a Russian writer, and well, is considered to be the one of the greatest. So I just wanted to know if anyone could maybe recommend any of his books or any feedback on his works. If you can thank you. :D

Blackadder
07-16-2003, 06:38 PM
His major works are War and Peace and Anna Karenina.

Be prepared though. Russian literature is generally heavy going, full depression and character and society created catch-22s and a general seriousness that is frequently unreleived. I suggest that, if this is your first time reading Russian literature, you lay in something light to read if you need to lighten up for a bit.

If you're looking for an easier introduction to Russian literature, I actally recommend Nikolai Gogol. He's weird, but he's funny. His work is critically acclaimed. Honestly, tackling Tolstoy as your first Russian author is like deciding to tackle someone like Joyce as your first English language novel, though less heavy on the symbolism.

Good luck.

den
07-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Blackadder, I agree, Tolstoy can be quite ponderous, although lovely version (50's?) movie made of Anna Karenina. One of the few times I'd say there was an adequate translation of book ---> screenplay.

Golgol's "The Nose" is considered comic mastery, and "The Overcoat" infectiously funny, dark and sardonic, considered one of the best short stories ever written.

Nevolia
07-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I appreciate that. :D
I think i'm going to check them both out though. I'm up for the challenge of Tolstoy's books and want very much to read them. Thanks for the warning though. :P

gatsbysghost
07-29-2003, 01:42 AM
I suggest The Sebastapol Sketches. It's under one million pages, which is a big bonus in Russian literature. Tolstoy is a master at developing characters, he does this, however, at the expense of many of your hard earned reading hours spent wading through the muck of his lexicon.

stavrokin
07-31-2003, 10:06 PM
if it's the first time you put your finger on Russian literature, I recommend
Turgenev as your beginning

;)