PDA

View Full Version : Siddhartha

Unregistered
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Hesse brilliantly integrates his understanding of Eastern religions and Jungian psychoanalysis to produce the fictitious character of Siddhartha. This clever fairy tale (1922) was a forerunner in the blatant promotion of New Age deceptions. In Siddhartha’s sentimental narrative, one is tempted to believe that divinity can be realized within one’s self. Siddhartha’s conceited search to save himself leads him into the pit of self deception, believing Creator and creation are One. <br>Like the teacher who tries so many paths to wisdom in Ecclesiastes, Siddhartha’s search takes him through wealth, lust, and worldly pleasures. The definitive difference is that the seeker in Ecclesiastes comes to correctly acknowledge the Creator, whereas Siddhartha decides, with his false assumption in the circular nature of history, that a rock is potentially a Brahman and a god.<br>Let the reader be warned that the smooth propaganda of Siddhartha is enticing as it blends truth and lie. It is true that learning contentment regardless of circumstances is highly valued. The Apostle Paul had learned to be content in all situations through union with the living Christ (Phil.4:11-13). Conversely, Siddhartha “exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator” (Romans 1:25). In so doing, he deceived himself. Hesse vividly endorses the deception.<br>

Davide
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
still your questions satisfied? or you have some new ones after this reading?

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Hesse has been dead for a few decades, so i don't think he keeps anything much up anymore

Unregistered
02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
It's unfortunate that your belief in dogma has ruined your ability to realize that the "self" is just as much a deception as anything else. Duality and division (particularly that of creator/created) are what lead to spritual desolation in the first place.

Kelsie
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Man, I just LOVE this book! I am a Christian and this was required reading, but when you start reading Hesse's work, you just can't stop. It was so fun to travel to a different county and religion for a day...Keep it up Hesse! I bet many people would love your books if they read them...I know I did! Kelsie