PDA

View Full Version : Extremely great read.

Andrea
02-05-2005, 08:50 PM
I might have to disagree. I was forced to read and analyze this horrible novella this year. I am currently a senior in high school. I found it confusing and just utterly boring. The plot is amazing but I believe that Conrad does nothing to embelish it. Right now I am currently doing my rewrite (the entire class has to rewrite their essays) for my essay and I cannot wait to finally be done with it. I might disagree with you mainly because I do not like the Lord of the Rings either. I found both of these books highly dark and just plain depressing. I am a fan of, however, Catcher in the Rye. Although he is in depression during the entire book, at the end there is an uplifting ending because he is getting help for his depression. So, thats all I wanted to say. Have a nice day

Jared Hecht
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Breaking from my Lord of the Rings second re-read to find this was one of the greatest choices in my life.<br><br>This book is probably most famous through its 1979 film adaption to Vietnam. This movie? None other than one of the greatest cinematic experiences one can have: Apocalypse Now.<br><br>I'm a big fan of the movie, so when I found out it was based off of a book, I decided I needed to read it. And I'm glad I did.<br><br>****1/2 out of *****

sakuks
11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
hi
I need help
I have 2 write an essay on The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
The essay topic is “what exactly is the heart of darkness?” my teacher said it isnt the congo or africa
I think it is the darkness that lies within each human being but I am not sure
Can anyone help me as I do not want to write this whole essay then realize that I am writing about the wrong thing
thanx

starrwriter
11-16-2005, 01:56 PM
I think it's the dark side of human nature that Conrad meant. We all have a dark side, but humane people keep it in check. Those who yield to their dark side are sociopaths like Col. Kurtz.

Conrad also contrasted the supposedly "civilized" white people in Africa with the innocent natives they oppressed.

PsycsX
11-23-2005, 09:12 AM
good answer, I think it's the right one. thanks for sharing the info.

cruise
11-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

Heart of Darkness, by joseph conrad could be taken as an exploration into the interiors of human thoughts, which are subjected to the conditions of the milieu in which a struggle persists between the instinctual and the fabricated thought (projected thought which humans show to the society in general). The subtle reference of the novel inherits in it the beast nature of humans and at the very same time the pathetic approach towards seeking solitude in goodness. "And on the other hand reveals the connectivity between the text -context and the pretext of the author". which being woven into a fabric with vivid spectrum on the nature, instinct, thought, action, the versimilitude and eventually the consequence of predilected thoughts by human beings.
And the novel throws light on the naiveity of uneducated folks and the inhumane behaviour of the the educated white men (The latter being the native the black men).

But the focus of the author is basically on bringing out the contrast between the colors of external appearance(skin color of human beings), with the critical actions and accordingly thoughts subtly emerged in the subversive consciousness of the author. The novel also depicts the knowhow of the author of the dark continent.

Further the characters, when closely examined depicts more complexity into the plot.

"I believe that this brief summary is not that convencing. I hope that some body here could possibly bring out this novel in much more clarity and suppleness towards enlightening us in learning the novel in a better degree of perception".

Thank's

Cruise