PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Sean
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I disagree that a major theme of "HEART OF DARKNESS" is slavery. There is definantly a contrast between the European "pilgrams" and the natives of the land, and Conrad gives us an account, no doubt as he witnessed first hand during his own trip to Africa, of the "pilgrams with their staves" wrongfully using the Africans. However inhumane that is, it is not a theme of slavery. There is mention of a chain-gang building railroad tracks, but it is hardly a theme. Conrad gives most of the European characters a distinct edge, I feel to show that humankind, even in "civilized society", perhaps especially in "civilized society" has a darker instict, a darker nature; the natives, whether they "had been enemies, criminals, workers, [or rebels]", "prehistoric man", or cannibals, they are treated much more kindly throughout the first two chapters at least. Conrad offers then in the third chapter a contrast of black peoples and white peoples based on the relationship of Mr. Kurtz and his followers. One good example of the symbolism comes from Marlow's first viewing of Mr. Kurtz: "It was as though an animated image of death carved out of old ivory had been shaking its hand with menaces at a motionless crowd of men made of dark and glittering bronze." Conrad's longest commentary on the people of Africa (in a negative conotation) is when Mr. Kurtz, Marlow and the ship leave at noon back down the river. Phrases like "horned-heads" and "scarlet bodies", as well as the "mass of naked, breathing, quivering, bronze bodies"; this is certainly from a Europeans perspective, but, once again, is not a whit to do with Slavery. <br><br>An excellent book that deals with several issues, just not slavery.

To Sean
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
I meant savagery Sean not slavery. It's just that I was working on a term paper at the time that dealt with slavery and typed it instead. However, the theme could be slavery as well because this is actually what Conrad wanted to point out - the horrific events in the Belgum Congo - Exterminate all the brutes - remember. Check the African studies and you will see that I am right.

Sean
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
I think you are on to something, Natasha B. I think what you mean instead of slavery, however, is the European Imperialism. That is defininatly a major theme, and I think it's safe to say that Conrad was not in favor of the British influence in the Congo, as can been seen from his personal letters from the Congo as well as from HEART OF DARKNESS. Several quotes from that text to support that follow: [from the Barnes & Noble edition, HoD and Secret Sharer, 1994]<br><br> "I couldn't help asking him once what he meant by coming there at all. 'To make money, of course. What do you think?' he said, scornfully." (p. 33)<br><br>"Once, I remember, we came upon a man-of-war anchored off the coast. There wasn't even a shed there, and she was shelling the bush. It appears the French had one of their wars going on thereabouts. Her ensign dropped limp like a rag; the muzzles of the long six-inch guns stuck out all over the low hull; the greasy, slimy swell swung her up lazily and let her down, swaying her thin masts. In the empty immensity of earth, sky, and water, there she was, incomprehensible, firing into a continent. Pop, would go one of the six-inch guns; a small flame would dart and vanish, a little white smoke would disappear, a tiy projectile would give a feeble screech--and nothing happened. Nothing could happen. There was a touch of insanity in the proceeding, a sense of lugubrious drollery in the sight; and it was not dissipated boy somebody on board assuring me earnestly there was a camp of natives--he called them enemies!--hidden out of sight somewhere." (p. 22)<br><br>"She talked about 'weaning those ignorant millions from their horrid ways,' till, upon my word, she made me quite uncomfortable. I ventured to hint that the company was run for profit." (p 19)<br><br>Marlow himself doesn't become completly detached from the European camp until after he meets Kurtz, although from the moment he sets foot on Africa he starts going that direction. Marlow finally chooses between "civilization" and "wilderness" though, when he defends Kurtz to the manager: <br><br>"I had turned to the wilderness really, not to Mr. Kurtz..." (p 110)<br><br>I still have to disagree that "Slavery" is not the question, but Conrad does strongly oppose the Social-Darwinist dogma and even the very idea that Europe is in the Congo for any reason at all, except to make a few people rich off it while taking advantage of the natives. I think we are both thinking the same thing just using different terminology. <br><br>I don't mean to put words in your mouth though; correct me if I mis-spoke.

limmy wang
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
For European ,they regard the black as slavery and want to control them in mental,just like Kurtz in this novel.<br>But actually for himself,what he had done is not what the civilized person should do.<br>

Natasha B
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
A major theme of "Heart of Darkness" is civilization versus slavery. The book implies that civilizations are created by the setting of laws and codes that encourage men to achieve higher standards. It acts as a buffer to prevent men from reverting back to their darker tendencies. The book implies that every man has a heart of darkness that is usually drowned out by the light of civilization. However, when removed from the civilized society, the raw evil of untamed lifestyles within a soul will be unleashed. One should also check "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding who finds a group of young boys totally thrown off the restraints of civilization de-evolving into a primitive state.

pink_panther
05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi! I am hopping you have read Heart of Darkness. I had to read it for my ISU essay but didn't really finish it. Well i am wrtting my essay on the role of women; man domanice, if there are any quotes that would help me out, please email me at [email protected]. ASAP Please with page numbers.

amuse
05-31-2005, 06:45 PM
*edits in disgust