PDA

View Full Version : ??

Wes
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
Ralph, my bet is that the reason you found the grammar so muddled is because your own grammar is muddled. Also, Heart of Darkness is a literary masterpiece due not only in part to its ambiguity, but also to the general context on the nature of mankind. If that is too much for you Ralph, you may want the Cliffs Notes movie version, which is Apocalypse Now. If you've already seen it Ralph, I would bet you did like it. However, I also bet that you didn't understand it (as it is nothing more than a cinematographer's "mental masturbation"), you just liked to see the pretty flashes when things blew up. Anyhow Ralph, I do hope that one day you will realize that just because a book is on your required reading list, it isn't necessarily bad.

Aaron
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
Ralph, your comments about _Heart of Darkness_ saddened me to the core, primarily because it highlighted the incredible literary ignorance of the public. I agree with Wes that you probably didn't understant it not because of its poor construction but because of your poor literary experience. Whether or not you liked this novel is not really an important question, and it definitely doesn't make a damn bit of difference. In the grand scheme of things, boring or not, this novel is a masterpiece of English literature. Personal preference and literary genius are in entirely separate spheres of consideration. Furthermore, beyond philosophical rambling, which too many commenters alluded to here, Conrad's novel is historically important because of its messages about Imperialism and colonization.

Ashie
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Ralph, your amazing! lol! I totally agree! hahaha . You people get offended when someone criticize's this novel. WOW get a hobby! lol . Reading this novel was horrible. Thinking about reading it makes me cringe. I'd rather pour table salt into my eyes or even chew my own hand off! Yeah! So... Go cry you Conrad Lovers.. THIS BOOK SUCKED!<br>

Unregistered
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Why does Conrad have to make literature so inaccessible? It seems as if he deliberately tries to make this book as convoluted and boring as possible.<br>Even my lit teacher hates it

Anna
To get to the point, I agree with Ralph and Ashie. Just for the record, I do value literature to a certain extent. However, this book was too ambigious. Even critics can never contemplate the full meaning of some of Conrad's words. Conrad did say that he thought words were misleading. You can say that again! I think that it's okay to have a book such as the Heart of Darkness, but I do not think that high school students should have to read such a book and take a test trying to figure out what the true symbolism he is utilizing means. To put it into a better perceptive, I utterly despise the heart of darkness. Read the "Once and Future King!"

OLP
Wow Ashie, those sound like good ideas, go ahead, go on, pour the salt in your eyes and chew on your hands. Maybe you can get Raplh to join in.

Unregistered
I just thought this book was confusing..it doesn't mean it was a bad book it is just super confusing in the way it was written...books off these college reading lists are all confusing..doesn't anyone agree? Is there any way to understand them better?

An A.P. student
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Ralph, I read this book this year for an A.P. English assignment. I didn't enjoy the book very much, but was able to understand that it is, indeed, a literary masterpiece. It amazes me that people can brush off a book as "poorly done" simply because they can't handle analyzing its complexities. The "cloudy" writing style adds to the theme and setting of the book. It's about a man taking a journey down a river where civilization and order do not exist. It wouldn't make any sense for the tale to be clear-cut and easy to comprehend. It is a trip into the mind of a man that has seen trouble and learned from it. A trip into anyone's mind (perhaps with the exception of yours) would be intricate and complicated, especially the mind of someone that has suffered from disease and the fatigue of staying strong through the world's temptations. Summing up, I'm willing to bet that I, as a senior in high school, am younger than you and yet I understand that just because I don't necessarily like something doesn't mean that I can't learn from and appreciate it. Some of the greatest minds in the world view Conrad as one of the best writers in history; cash in your ignorance, Ralph, and go buy a clue.

May
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I agree with Ralph and Ashie. Heart of Darkness has the potential to be interesting but it ended up making you wonder why you ever wasted the time to read the book. The people who defend Conrad, you're entitled, but I don't think it's very nice to mock others just because you don't agree with their viewpoint. Shame on you!

OzBrad
02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
To understand this book is to answer this question. I encourage all of you who have criticised Conrad’s work to read it, and then re-read it again. Ask yourself what is "redemptive illusion"? Isn't this concept what Marlow was searching for, embodied in his illusion of Kurtz? This simple tale of Marlow’s journey up the Congo to find the mysterious Kurtz changed my life. It changed the way I look at the world and challenged everything I believed in. It may be a difficult, confusing and challenging text to understand, but believe me its worth it.

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 11:43 AM
After reading the comments of the readers who found this novel to be confusing and difficult to read I feel sad about the state of the intellect of the world today. Perhaps if the story was presented as a TV miniseries on Fox it would be better received by the naysayers of the quality of this work.

sabrina
03-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I agree with you!!!I found this book boring too and I don't understand why it is considered as a Best seller!

Desi
03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
I would like to say that I am a senior in High School and was given this novel to read over the summer. Even though I did not understand it , and abhored the thought of having to read it again just to understand it, I had enough sense to realize that it is an amazing piece of literature. The complexity in the true underlying meaning of the text only makes me appreciate both the book and the author even more. I re-read it a few weeks ago and am able to say that I almost completely understand it ( although some specific parts still elude me ) and I am glad that I did read it again. Conrad's perceptions of civilizations and differences in cultures are so controversial and at times narrow minded that it makes it a pleasure to analyze this work.

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 05:11 PM
It's kind of pathetic that a man writing a story in his third language strikes you as hard to understand... maybe you should brush up on your english?!

adam
03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok first off, I'm a freshman in highschool, thats right a freshman at a public school in fact and i had to read heart of darkness. Now truely im on page 40 right now and i have quit. I'm actually thinking about going and buying the clift notes just so i can get a better understanding of it. Also, I would like to add that i have read many writings of shakespear and understood them to the full extent so i ask you what kind of an idiot assigns a book like heart of darkness. Oh and also my teacher assigned it over springbreak and its for a history class!

Joe
03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
It is impossible to make a value judgment against one person's view of a literary work. The Heart of Darkness's muddled nature can be attributed as a symbolic triumph meshing dark and light symbols to illustrate the biased, perhaps even racist nature of the european colonial time period. On the other hand, the muddled nature of the work could simply be attributed to a writing style that is over ambitious and painstaking to read. The question is are you a symbol hunter or a symbol hater? The readers of this work can easily file their opinion based on this question. You either love Conrad or you hate him. No middle ground.

Snake
03-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Ralph, Ashie, and all who agree,<br>Open your God Damn eyes. Personal enjoyment of the story, and respect for literary talent are completely separate, and you have none of the latter. I think Anna and An AP Student accurately depicted you and your ability to assess letierary works. I chose to read Heart of Darkness in high school. I nderstood the literature quite well and still feel this is one of the greatest works written. Do I feel the book should be required reading for a high school calss? No, but for an advanced, dual enrollment, or AP calss it is fine. If you are in these classes, then you should have the ability to understand this great work. That does not mean you have to like the story or the underlying themes, but you should respect the work.

college student
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I am studying this book fo A-level i am only 16 years old, and i have more respect for good lit than you. This book is truely amazing the book is hard to understand yes i agree but thats the whole point it is a in depth book with numerous interpretations. This is why the book is so exciting to read. Is is not boaring as many critics say, maybe you are just blind, and dont know a good book when you read one. I have not read many books but i am glad that this was one of the first, it has inspired me to read more.

Stephanie
04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't understand Aaron's comment "...boring or not, this novel is a masterpiece of English Literature". How can a book that is "boring" be a masterpiece? If it's boring, no-one is going to read it and as such, it will just be a collection of boring words, rather than literature. I liked this book and didn't have a problem understanding Conrad but I understand that some people don't like it and they're perfectly entitled to their opinion of it; it is hard going for people who are not used to this style of writing. I also understand where Ralph is coming from, I have just had to study a book called 'Dispossessed" by Phillip Hodgins. It was a terrible book but we studied it because it was written in blank verse. Just because a book is written in blank verse doesn't make it good but my teacher had orgasms over it anyway!

ARG
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Dear Ralph,<br><br>Although I do not agree with your sweeping condemnation of the book, I know exactly where you are coming from. The first time I read the book, I was roughly bout the same opinion as you regarding the book's merits. However, on the advice of my former English teacher, I undertook to read the book a second time. I am now firmly of the opinion that "Heart of Darkness" is probably the best thing I have ever read. The seemingly impenetrable writing you complain of, serves largely to imbue the monstrous horror with a sense of subtlety. It adds an atmosphere of enigma to Kurtz's descent into debauchery.<br><br>Give it another shot. Read it again.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
The critics have presented the following evidence:<br><br>"poorly and confusingly done" <br>"utterly boring and clouded "<br>"Reading this novel was horrible"<br>"convoluted and boring "<br>"Even my lit teacher hates it"<br><br> Although this novel's plot is not neatly laid out and does require careful reading, I cannot agree that it suffers from either a poor or confusing structure. While not "utterly boring," it is not a Dan Brown, Higgins Clark, or Tom Clancy reproduction of literature. <br> Do not take Heart of Darkness with you to the beach because it is not meant to entertain your brain in lieu of television! It presents the nature of the primitive man and of a man restrained by the opinion of society. The horror is that a man can flip between both with ease, but can never fully leave either stage. For example, the fireman in the steamboat becomes caretaker of the boiler after some simple training, but still wears a charm of rags and leaves the bone above his lip. He fires a gun at the attackers in defence, and is the only one struck down by an arrow. Kurtz is the "civilized man" set loose---he controls the natives with a showcase of violence and dies realizing the revolting fate of man. Marlowe analyzes all of this but does not judge. Kutz is still a "remarkable" man and the natives are not at fault. It is really hunger and self preservation that drive both groups. <br><br>A similar point of view is seen in Lord of the Flies (although nature plays a larger role in HOD) and Robinson Crusoe (although less overwhelmingly condeming of the fate of man). It is through Nature that we see our true selves...within this Heart of Darkness it is possible to glimpse the animal instinct and recoil in horror. This is what Conrad wants to show us.<br><br>PS: Lit teachers who say, "I hate this book but you must learn it anyway" are hypocrites.

Unregistered
04-28-2005, 10:44 AM
We're studying it right now and I must say Ralphs "reading" of Heart Of Darkness put the sunshine back into my day. Why is everyone so in love with this book? In my opinion this is just some guys way of showing off his intimate knowledge of the english dictionary while telling a story that might have succeeded had he come off his high horse and gotten over the whole "no words under three syllables" rule. And we can relate to the mental masturbation thing as our lit teacher is obsessed with this book and it's painful as noone takes it seriously in our class except for my boyfriend-I'm wprking on that. Cheers, Love some sick and tired lit students

Kat
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Heart of darkness is stupid-I see what it means so I am not an uneducated simpleton, yet I still dislike it. Yes, a lot of people post hate messages simply because they do not understand-I am not one of them and neither is the majority of my literature class. Yet it must be saying something that informed, educated young adults who have taken the time to read and analyse this frustrating novel, still find reason to dislike it. If anything, it should be taken off the lists. It is not aimed at young people and thus should not be forced upon us. Those who choose to read it, all the power to you, your opinions are your own. However, when a book this complex is forced upon a class of 16-18 year olds, disaster is immenant. Good day to you

andrew
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Just because something is difficult to comprehend does not mean it's a failed piece of literature. However i do agree with certain points both 'parties' have brought up. It is a deep novel, as it was written describing the human psyche; some people prefer those genre of novels and some do not. My teacher also found it a distasteful novel whereas I am throughly enjoying it. Seriously though, just because you can't appreciate a piece of literature that is too deep for you does not reduce it's value in anyway. If anything is reduced, it is your argument against the novel by your allusion to crude allegory's: "Mental Masturbration"? Yeah that's really what the teachers love to do Ralph, just spend all day pleasuring themselves over English texts.<br>

Ralph
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
This is one of the most poorly and confusingly done novels ever written. With such an interesting plot, I was amazed at how utterly boring and clouded the novel became, the only reason this novel is still in print is because english teachers get hard-ons through mental masturbation trying to analyze this overly ambiguous work.

PigeonWing
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Ralph, your amazing! lol! I totally agree! hahaha . You people get offended when someone criticize's this novel. WOW get a hobby! lol . Reading this novel was horrible. Thinking about reading it makes me cringe. I'd rather pour table salt into my eyes or even chew my own hand off! Yeah! So... Go cry you Conrad Lovers.. THIS BOOK SUCKED!<br>

OMG lol like, WOW! I totally no wat U meen! hahaha...

A literary criticism, Ashie, involves the analysis, evaluation and judgment of the quality of a text based upon circumstantial evidence. If provided this those who read this novel, will not to be offended. Rather, it builds greater appreciation and in-depth understanding.
I (and I think I can safely say 'we') are however offended by your of despotic resistance to the utilisation of intellect. I'd suggest pouring your hand in your eye while chewing on some table salt.