PDA

View Full Version : grade: A-

Unregistered
04-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I agree. THe first chapter, it was hard to get into but after that it was hard to put down. So many lessons about life are found in this book. The end did get predictable but it was very rewarding and satisfying.

A. Foster
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
This was a great read! There was politics, a love story, good vs. evil, and more. I was happy to "discover" this author. Had never read any of his work before. Lots of twists and turns, surprises are intermingled in this action-packed novel. Toward the end things become very predictable, but still there is plenty of drama to finish out the story. Enjoy!

Aramis
08-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I really enjoyed this novel; it was so amazing! To be honest, I thought it would turn into a tragedy, and even though I like that sort of thing, the ending did not disappoint me at all. It was also interesting how the tulip became a kind of character of itself, and I was rooting for it (well, them) to survive the whole time.

Schoolmeister
12-26-2005, 09:57 AM
I agree that this novel was excellent. It was the third Dumas novel I have had the pleasure to read after having "discovered" him a few weeks ago. I was a little confused in the begining because I was confused about the two Corneliuses but I was back on track after rereading the first two chapters. I loved the story and also learned about Tulipmania which I had heretofore never known about. I think I should like to plant some tulips myself now. I also found myself noticing several qoutable passages throughout the book. I also like the reliance upon Judeo Christian religious beliefs that Dumas seems to employ. BTW, I have found an artist in a bookstore in Virginia whom has Dumas stamps that have been issued over the years and she then frames them in small frames; she also has other authors she does the same thing with. For example, she had a Shakespeare for about $30. If you are interested let me know and I can try and get ya'll more information in re this cool idea.

haydee1815
04-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Great book! I quite enjoyed it. Although I have only read it once, I'd like to re-read it again.

AC_fan
06-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I read this book recently. I even presented it at a class. lol
It was the first book I read from this author and I loved it. I believe Dumas is one of the best authors from his generation; his ability to describe the environment, the expressions, the emotions, .... is just amazing!! Like somelse said, I found several quotable passages, which is very interesting because, most of the times I'm unabble to nostice them. lol
This was the first book I read from this author. Now I am looking foward to read The Count of Monte Cristo, also from Alexandre Dumas.

sbmarti2
09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Excellent book for sure, I started reading it one day at midnight, and I read it cover to cover. It was a rough day at work the next day, but totally worth it.

closedbyrequest
09-08-2007, 04:43 AM
I just read it. It was a good book, but not Dumas' best. Next up... The Companions of Jehu.

cherrytheone
06-14-2008, 06:20 AM
great great great book! couldn't put it down! it has so much wisdom in it, so many emotions.. I'd recommend it to everyone! I adore that recognizable Dumas'
style..