PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
06-26-2002, 01:00 AM
'Anonymous May 29' is an imbecile. The person CANNOT be "a pretty bright person" because Quasimodo was spelled incorrectly after reading the story. And how do you spell 'godforsaken'? Stick to 'People' magazine.

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
I've read this book in english and now im working on reading the original in french. i love it to bits. I read it once in grade 8 and now in grade 12. how can you possible say you disiked this book....do you not have any sense of a classic!

Unregistered
Good luck in college....

Unregistered
At least you read it. I suppose that counts for something. So sorry you found it boring. What kind of books do you like?

Unregistered
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
What you get out of the book can depend a lot on which translation you read. I bought a copy at a bookstore that was written simply and clearly, and was loving what I read so much that when I misplaced it, I went to the library to check out a copy, so I could pick up where I'd left off. It was hardly recognizable as the same book. The language was dense and antiquated. Reading it was like banging my head against a wall. Maybe you had a version like this? It would make a world of difference.

donettes and brownies
03-01-2003, 02:00 AM
What did you expect? Obviously you must have gone into shock whe you realized it was nothing like the movie. I agree that it takes forever to read and understand everything that takes place in the book, but I'm a high school junior who does not normally read such dark and much older books such as this one. I suppose that whole open-minded thing doesn't quite work out for you very often.

Tetraforce
01-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Ha you think this is hard? try reading the Principia or the Iliad, which i had to read in my high school sophomore year. maybe you would rather read something simple and fun like Harry Potter or the like.

Unregistered
01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
U VERY STRANGE PERSON! im in gr 8 and i can understand ALL of it. smart person...

Sarah
04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Anyone who anything short of loved this book has got to get emotion transplants. It's a wonderful story, and it was writtin so long ago, what did you expect the writing style to be like? May all Hunchback-haters burn in hell! No one has any sense of morals anymore!

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This book was, by far, the most boring book that I have ever read. I kept reminding myself to read this book with an open mind and to just take my time and enjoy it... WRONG!!<br>With this book, there is no such thing as taking your time... if you did that, then it'll take you forever and a century to finish the book. <br>It was boring, confusing and worst of all, you can barely understand the dialogue. The characters have no personality (except for Quasimoto... who just wants a damn friend in his godforsaking life). <br>I consider myself to be a pretty bright person, and I can comprehend almost anything, but you've got to be someone extremely special to like this and ESPECIALLY understand it. <br>Cheers and Kudos to those who see through it! I take my hat off to you!

fuzzer1
09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
I did find it a little slow. I also had difficulty understanding everything. But this is probably because I'm in grade 6 and the language was very advanced for me, and because not many people use those terms.

But no personalities? I disagree. I think Esmerelda was a ***** (Excuse my blunt terms, but I really think it suits her). Phoebus had an ego as well as a perv. Frollo was in too deep in things he shouldn't have gotten involved with. And Quasimodo had some anger issues. And that is just plainly speaking. I think that the detail he put into the characters and description of Notre Dame is admirable and a truely great feat.

AngelofPhantoms
12-26-2007, 12:16 AM
U VERY STRANGE PERSON! im in gr 8 and i can understand ALL of it. smart person...

You said it! I'm in grade 8 too, it's not that difficult if you take the time to appreciate it. Same with his [Hugo's] other books.

AngelofPhantoms
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Also, to add, was it the part where Hugo describes Notre Dame and a view of Paris that you found boring? I get that from a lot of people and I tell them: Hugo wants us to be familiar with the church of Notre Dame and Paris, so later in the story he doesn't have to explain where they are and why they are there and break the flowing of the story.

bazarov
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Also, to add, was it the part where Hugo describes Notre Dame and a view of Paris that you found boring? I get that from a lot of people and I tell them: Hugo wants us to be familiar with the church of Notre Dame and Paris, so later in the story he doesn't have to explain where they are and why they are there and break the flowing of the story.

Part with describing church is really boring; I think I could follow Quasimodo and Claude through secret passages without that part. But of course, no way I would remove it.