PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame de paris ou les miserables which one is better?

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
I never thought to compare the two before, simply viewing each as I might two distinct individuals. However, once the thought came to mind I considered since they are products of the same genius, I guess one might compare or contrast them, as it is so common to do with siblings. Then to me, "The Hunchback" seems to have a sensitivity, which I think is more appealing to the feminine, while "Les Miserables" seems more involved with masculine characteristics. For example, even though there exists crime, power, punishment, rebellion, escape, capture and death in each story, the circumstances surrounding each incidence of those things in "Les Miserables," strike me as stemming from primarily masculine constructs. In The Hunchback" The love of Quasimodo for Esmeralda, Esmeralda's sympathy for the unfortunate bell-ringer, and even Esmeralda's duped and doomed love for villainous Phoebus Apollo seems more likely to happen to the feminine in nature. I kept hoping she'd wake up and love the man she'd saved and married. His was a humorous voice. "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" has moments of humor. I cannot remember finding anything funny in "Les Miserables." I loved and appreciated both books, however "The Hunchback" remains my favorite of the two.<br><br>Thank you for putting me on this train of thought. I plan to explore this further.<br>

Unregistered
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I was never aware that length was a critereon for measuring the content of a book...and there are plenty of books longer than Les Miserables anyway...sorry

Maximilian
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
<br>They are all super novels, but in my personal opinion, Les Miserables is better, in length no novel came close to Les Miserables!