PDA

View Full Version : Victor Hugo's books are the best!

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I totally agree with you, I am in the midst of finishing Les Miserables and I love every bit of it so far. Victor Hugo is definately a genius! and I can't wait to read the Hunchback of Notre Dame

simplyme
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I liked this book a lot because it's just... WONDERFUL!!! Those who enjoyed this book should also read LES MISERABLES! I think Victor Hugo is the best writer on earth.

Lauralou
10-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Les Miserables is amazing and my favorite book ever. I love it and everything about it. Its very deep and very exciting and very romantic and everything else wonderful about literature.

:)

AbhishekVaid
12-24-2005, 06:15 AM
I thing Victor Hugo was a genius. I have read the "hunch back of notre dame" & "les misreable" & lost myself in them. The heroism, hope & tragedy depicted in these books completely move you. I would recommend these two books to everyone.

ThruMyEyer73
10-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I <3 the hunchback of notre dame, not only is a tragic romance but it is also funny. I love how Hugo presents Frollo.

alennox21
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Agreed. Hunchback is the greatest. Just look at the love themes.

Esmiralda to phaedus infatuation
Frollo to Esmirelda lust
hunchback to Esmirelda pure and unrequited
Mother's to the boot lost yet hopeful
phaedus to the ladies for political gain
Esmirelda and the church upset and forgiveness

I don't have my copy handy. There are probalbly many more.

re-v
btw
Although I liked Les Mis I stalled out three quarters of the way through. I remember vividly. It's when Jean, from a distance, wathced the courting of the young girl around the skating park in mid-winter.

Hunchback is good t the last drop.

Renod120105
10-14-2006, 12:09 AM
alennox21-

I am a fellow hugoist and I would beseech you give les mis another try. Some of it can be a little slow, but I have never been more affected by another book. And the end is good, so you should read it again, and start from the beginning...another of hugo's greats and much shorter than les mis, though still substantial, is the Toilers of the Sea, I couldn't put it down.

Renod

ThruMyEyer73
10-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I <3 hunchback of notre dame and have heard only good things about les mis. but Hugo must have written more than those great hits. everyone i've ever talked to has just read those 2 Hugo books, i'm going to try to expand my reach

quasimodo1
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Sometimes you think a classic author has been relegated to academic study only and that done only under duress. It's great to know Victor Hugo is still appreciated for the master he is. I used to be an incurable romantic but now I take vaccines like non-fiction, obscure poetry and the NY Times. People who really love Hugo got to be put off by a presentation of his work in an expensive and happy-happy production like a broadway play. RJS

Dori
07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Victor Hugo is an exquisite writer, unsurpassed by even Dostoevsky! I loved the Hunchback and Les Miserables. I'm eager to read other works from him.

Adolescent09
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Victor Hugo is an exquisite writer, unsurpassed by even Dostoevsky! I loved the Hunchback and Les Miserables. I'm eager to read other works from him.

I loved the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Miserables but unsurpassed by Dostoevsky? I definitely don't think so. I have yet to read a piece of classical literature (besides War and Peace) that reserves a place closely behind or equal to the brilliance of The Brother's Karamazov.

Dori
07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree for now. I've only read The Idiot by Dostoevsky, which I mildly liked (but I much preferred Hugo's works to it), so perhaps I should save my opinions until I have a broader sense of his works. Besides, your preference on The Brothers Karamazov is merely opinion. I've seen many who claimed The Idiot or Crime & Punishment to be Dostoevsky's greatest masterpiece.

Adolescent09
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
The Brother's Karamazov is predominantly cosidered his greatest masterpiece which is the reason I read it in the first place. My soul opinion had little to do with me desiring to read the book or stipulate that it was his finest work. The Idiot, The Adolescent, Crime & Punishment and his other works have also been considered masterpieces, but every time I've ever heard allusion to Doestoevsky it has always been followed by rigorous discussion of either The Brother's Karamzov or Crime & Punishment.

So while my previous post strongly suggested a very partial opinion, it is an opinion that is supported by most, and thus, should be respected. Now that I read what I posted I can see why it might have been misconstrued as offensive and I'm sorry. It was only my opinion shared by a majority.

quasimodo1
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
To Adolescent09: Being an Hugo officianado makes me doubly prejudiced about the quality and subject matter of his work. To really get to the heart of the man, you must read at least a few chapters of his memoirs...they are a play by play rendition of the French Revolution and you won't find happy little tunes and romantic actors trying to put a comedic face on a tragic and seminal historic era. quasimodo1

Debrasue
07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree..Hugo's works are wonderful and inspiring reading....

I loved Andrew Lloyd Webber's Les Mis on stage...it was never meant to be a literal re-telling...but rather an adaptation to showcase his(Webber's) beautiful music...which I think represents the emotions of Hugo's story very well! They should never be compared ...Victor Hugo's work was an inspiration for ALW...why would anyone deny art & beauty? There is no competition going on there...

I love all of Hugo's works...but especially his 'History of Crime'...his unique sense of humor...the imagery and emotion he uses to describe France during those times is fascinating and beautiful...

And how many people who...after seeing Les Mis on stage...were inspired to read more from Hugo...

Dori
07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
So while my previous post strongly suggested a very partial opinion, it is an opinion that is supported by most, and thus, should be respected. Now that I read what I posted I can see why it might have been misconstrued as offensive and I'm sorry. It was only my opinion shared by a majority.

I suppose I am oblidged to apologize, because it was indeed an exaggeration on my part that produced such a comment. I just finished Les Miserables today and I was thoroughly impressed. Never have I read a book like it. Thus the exaggeration. Good news: I just bought Crime and Punishment, Poor Folk, Notes from Underground, and a few more of Dostoevsky's smaller works (I already own the Brothers Karamazov) so perhaps I will be more inclined to agree with the majority once I have read them. Or perhaps not.

I hope this solves things:thumbs_up

quasimodo1
07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
To Debrasue: I stand with altered point of view but not totally corrected. If the Broadway creations inspire some to read Hugo, that is a positive thing. My view however is that the light and airy treatment of horrendous historical events is a diservice to the revolutionaries and authors like Hugo who sought to portray them in all their gritty reality. Would you have a musical about the Armenian genocide and then find ways to promote it as an awareness device? The degenerate aristocracy trying to save their corrupt and self-serving life-style by bleeding out the proletariiat will never be either humorous or musical except perhaps for a dirge by Chopin. quasimodo1

Debrasue
07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
quasimodo1...It was never my intention to correct you...you are entitled to your opinions & I do understand your point of view...it has been my own personal experience that even in the most horrendous and evil circumstances people will find and cling to the smallest thread of humour, love,compassion... and find some way to rejoice in the things that give hope...
I have studied French history quite intensively..I also have French ancestry...
As for the musical being light & airy...I found it inspiring and thought provoking...stirring the emotions, the pride and admiration that comes from the sacrifices of those who came before... and their legacy of freedom & liberty of which we partake....

quasimodo1
07-06-2007, 11:07 PM
To Debrasuea; Perhaps my familiarity with history prevents me from finding a lighter side. I see from your persuasion that you will not let the morbid overtake a view at once accurate and inspiring. On this point, I relent. Let the point rest there. Sincerely, quasimodo1

Adolescent09
07-06-2007, 11:44 PM
quasimodo1... I rarely compliment people on their intellect but I cannot abstain from saying that it takes no rocket scientist to fathom that you are one learned human being who is capable of backing up points viably. Your wealth of historical and cultural arts knowledge augments your statements and I see the nail of the point you're hammering to imply. That's all I have to say.

AngelofPhantoms
12-26-2007, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=Debrasue;408501]I agree..Hugo's works are wonderful and inspiring reading....

I loved Andrew Lloyd Webber's Les Mis on stage...it was never meant to be a literal re-telling...but rather an adaptation to showcase his(Webber's) beautiful music...which I think represents the emotions of Hugo's story very well! They should never be compared ...Victor Hugo's work was an inspiration for ALW...why would anyone deny art & beauty? There is no competition going on there...QUOTE]

ALW is wondeful, but he didn't compose Les Miserables, it was composed by Boublil and Schonberg and presented by Cameron Mackintosh. That's okay though. It's a great musical and sums up Hugo's views well. It featured Eponine more than in the novel, and Cosette was a smaller character, only appearing in a couple scenes.

Debrasue
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
AngelofPhantoms! You are so correct! I saw Les Mis only once.. many, many, years ago (and an amature production at that!) I was so moved by the story and performance that I had to re- read Hugo's story, ...and in the process gained a greater appreciation for his other works as well! Thank you for the correction....My apologies to Boublil, Schonberg and Mackintosh...

amanda_isabel
12-28-2007, 12:06 AM
hmm. i;ve seen a movie of les mis, but that version (with uma thurman and i forgot his name.. the guy who plays Qui-Gon in Star Wars episode 1) didn;t feature Eponine at all (so i was kinda disappointed, considering i fell in love with the song, On My Own).

i'm still in the middle (actually not in the middle.. i just finished Fantine.) of Les Mis and i must say, with the little that i've read, that Victor Hugo is a genius.. however, i do find his historical references a bit lengthy and when it comes to chapters i find it a bit boring. maybe i should have studied a bit more on French History before getting into the book.

jinjang
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Here I am Johny come lately.

I agree with Adolescent09 on that The Brother's Karamazov was the best one among all the Dostoevsky's books. I do not think I even finished The Idiot, although I meant to go back to it one day. The Brother's Karamazov was his last book and it dealt with people's religious or inner struggles in depths. It also was a great story. I read Crime and Punishment when I was religious and it touched me deeply. But I am not sure now. Victor Hugo is one of my favorite authors and he dramatized his characters sometimes a little too much, but I believe he is one of the greatest.
Didn't you get a little irritated, though, when he sidetracked to cover the history of Paris sewage system, instead of continuing the story of Les Miserables? It was alright when I read it the second time, but the first time I read the book, I got impatient to know the story.