PDA

View Full Version : Les Miserables

Dick Oldham
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am now finishing my second reading of "Les Miserables" and again have come to the conclusion that it is the best book that I have ever read. It is a book that has many good stories within it. If you have not read it, by all means do so.<br>

odysseus
11-26-2005, 12:29 AM
i have to get a new copy or read other parts online, because the book i got is abridged, and I'm wondering what I'm missing out on, it has parts I'm not sure how big just deleted from the story, what a shame!

Castorp
05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I am reading Le Miserables for the second time. The first reading was in high school. Even then, I enjoyed his poetic prose. A good example is Jean's 'man overboard' description. There are many references to historical events and figures that are worth researching. I didn't take the time in high school. It amazes me that Hugo's power as a writer can survive translations.

Wandering_Child
12-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I read Les Miserables and am going to read it a second time quite soon. I have to say it's one of the best books I've ever read. I love all of the smaller plotlines that weave in and out of the story. The characters are so in-depth and Hugo goes back in time to explain things in detail so that you can understand the situation better. I really need to go back and read it over again now that I've seen the musical.

Is anyone else mad that everyone hates Cosette just because she loves Marius and Marius doesn't love Eponine? It makes me quite angry.

lostdog
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I read les Miserables again last summer. I liked it too for the same reasons you mention. I especially appreciate the placing historically, which gives a glimpse of life in Paris 1830 to 1832, mainly. I just read War and Peace again. I like it for the same reasons. In contrast to Hugo's book, War and Peace seems to be more a story of an era, while Hugos' book follows the life of just a few people.