PDA

View Full Version : The two versions of Henry V, and Shakespear in Love

Mike
06-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi there,

For a English asignment, I am asked to compare the two film versions of Henry V - the ones written by Kenneth Branagh and Laurence Olivier, and also Shakespear in love.

The paper I have been given is set out like the following:

Compare the three productions we have sampled:

1. Shakespear in Love
2. Henry V - directed by Kenneth Branagh
3. Henry V - directed by Laurence Olivier

A) Compare 1, 2 and 3:
[list]Which had the most convincing background?
Which had the greatest visual impact?[/list:u]

B) Compare 2 and 3:
[list]Comment on the portrayals of Henry
Comment on the presentation of Agincourt in each.
Discuss the different interpretations of Henry's speech to rally the troops.[/list:u]

Some of that will be pretty simple to do, but it's the visual bits that I think I am going to struggle with. Would someone please help me with the comparisons mentioned above?

Thanks,
Mike

Janine
12-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Very interested in your question. I saw Branagh's version of Henry V and I adore it. I still have to see the Olivier. I only heard it was gung ho on war since it was released during WWI and they wanted to rally the GI's and the troops...sort of propaganda. I have reservations on watching it, since I love the other version so much. To me it is the perfect film and the best Branagh ever did. If you give me the time to review the Olivier I will give you my opinion. I loved "Shakespeare in Love". I have watched it several times now. I believe it is mostly fiction but quite well done and hightly entertaining. Joseph Fiennes is a wonderful young actor.
If you begin telling me what you think on each of the assignments I can comment and probably help you. I have seen Branagh's Henry about 10 times now, I own it and that is how much I love the film.
We could discuss it after Christmas - what do you think? It is a good assignment and interests me greatly, since I am very interested in Shakespeare on film. I have read much about it and the actors/directors who have made it assessable to the general public. I aplaud them! Let me know what you think?