PDA

View Full Version : Duelling, horses and passports

kev67
09-07-2019, 03:31 PM
The copy of The Count of Monte Cristo that I read had no notes. I am not that bothered, but there were several things I kept wondering about:

Quite a lot of duelling take place in French society.In fact quite a lot in Europe generally at that time. In the last 13 months I have read six books where a challenge to a duel took place. It must have been a significant factor of mortality in them days.
Horses: horses get tired and have to be changed at coaching inns. I have recently been reading Bleak House and there is a fair bit of coach travel in that too. So how did that work? How did the horse owners get their horses back? If you hire a team of horses at one inn, they have to be fed and stabled at another inn. This will cost money so how was it all worked out?
This seems to be uniquely French, but passports just to get into and out of Paris - how long did that go on for? It seems very curious to me, Couldn't a Frenchman go where he liked in his own country?

Danik 2016
09-07-2019, 04:51 PM
I`m afraid there isnīt much help for you in the internet, background infos are very superficial. Donīt you have a good library at hand, preferably a university library, where you could find a version with notes or a detailed account of the background?