PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

-bj-
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm halfway through Les Mis and it is already reaching towards the position of my "favorite work." The only aspects of it that trouble me are not the fault of the author. My poor background in French history during the Napoleanic era and the Revolution, as well as my total ignorance concerning the French language are indeed serious impediments to my understanding of some parts of the novel. Regardless, what follow are my humble opinions.<br> I've read only a small amount of fiction from the 19th century, and none of it was French so I've not a great deal of other works with which to compare Les Mis. Dostoevsky is about the closest I can come, and, I have to say, Hugo has him beat. Dostoevsky, while perhaps being able to get you inside the protagonist's mind more effectively, falls behind on nearly every other front when one stands him up against Hugo. It seems to me, as I plunder through Les Mis, that I should be writing down almost every other sentance so I can quote it later. With so many beautiful analogies and metaphors used to describe powerful abstract ideas the work seems half prose and half poetry. <br> Hugo's genius also shines in the intricateness of his plot. I struggle to comprehend the power of a mind that could map out this ornately interwoven plot. On the other hand, Hugo does get a bit carried away with the use of unlikely meetings and convenient chance encounters between characters. Jean Valjean must have said "Gee whiz, what are the odds of meeting you, just the man to help me, and here of all places," more times than any other person living or fictional. In this regard, Dostoevsky conquers, with incredibly realistic and believable plots. <br> Still, Hugo is the type of author that would make another writer want to say "I give up. I could never even approach this level of talent, so why bother writing?" Les Mis encapsulates all that is great literature. Positively a must read for anyone interested in history, literature or both.