PDA

View Full Version : War And Peace

Niswat Anwar Nawaz
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
While War and Peace is definitely not my favorite novel, it was very enjoyable to read. I did find the passages discussing Freemason philosophy and rituals to be unnecessarily long and detailed. Maybe Freemasons were big back in the 1860s when Tolstoy wrote the novel. Anyway the passages describing the war scenes especially with Peter Bezukhov on the field were kind of bizarre in that they didn't really evoke horror at the brutality. What I did find realistic were the myriad love stories. They were very real to me. Old men do fall in love with young girls (that army official who falls for Natasha), cousins do love each other but don't marry (Sonia and Nikolai Rostov), and dashing men often marry plain women (Nikolai and Marya Rostov). War and Peace is definitely worth the read.

Pinchi
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
As of the of the age of fourteen I also have read this book severel times, again and again. I know that I will came back to this magnificent masterpiece another severel times. <br>When you reread this book you find in the book a new way of seeing matters thru the eys of Tolstoy. <br>Should Hitler have read this book he would understand that his attack on russia was doomed to fail.

Rob Stumpf
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is my favorite novel. I have read it several times and I have never found it boring or uninteresting at all. It's not a quick read, obviously, if you want something quick and fluffy there is plenty of that available elsewhere. I don't know how else to describe it but to say you will never read another story that includes so many elements of life, whether it be in 1812 or 2002. It's magnificent.