PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Ian
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For anyone who couldn't quite manage through the long and laborious task of reading War and Peace, I suggest reading the abridged version first. It still had the whole story yet it omitted much of the political theories and war strategies. It helped me to more fully understand the magnatude of this amazing novel.<br>

xiaoding
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Yikes! The theories and politics are what make the book interesting! :)

mono
06-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Though I understand that abridged versions of any novel help some people comprehend a book better, deleting many seemingly 'unnecessary' details, but I have always felt that reading an abridged version, for me, feels like taking a photograph with extremely low resolution - you recognize what appears in the picture, yet not with the detail preferred.
Especially with War and Peace, or any book by Leo Tolstoy, a reader ought to prepare one's self for a challenge, and if you desire a challenge in reading, go with the unabridged. :nod:

Sarka
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I read an unabridged version first by accident, actually, in grade 9. I wanted to be all impressive, so I figured, hmm, maybe I'll read War & Peace. So I read the abridged version and totally loved it, and then was annoyed that I'd only read an abridged version. So now I'm reading the whole thing, like, three years later.