PDA

View Full Version : On a search flook for her books, unabridged.

Casie Smith
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
The movie has filled my heart with love and joy. I loved this movie very much and beening as old as I am I still cry at the end . This is a okay site for others who feel the same way.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I grew up with A Little Princess and A Secret Garden, and today they are still some of my favorite books. I have to say, though, for all those who liked the Holywood movie of A Little Princess, it was one of the worst renditions of book into movie I had ever seen. There is, however, a BBC version of both books. The movies there are a bit longer- I think six hours, or more, but they hold true to the books, if I remember correctly, then completely. They are a bit older, at least 15 to 20 years, but for anyone who loves the books, it might be worth it to search for them.

measanan
FH Burnett wrote 44+ books, most of them published pre-1920. If you liked this one, try Little Lord Fauntleroy, or the Lost Prince, as unabridged as you can find them. Or of course, the Secret Garden. As others have started, the books can provide a fuller story for some folks than movies.<br><br> You might also try Dodie Smith's original of the 101 Dalmations.<br><br>Best wishes.<br><br>

Anonymous
I first read "A Little Princess" when I was in the 7th grade and I even watched the movie. It has a way of bringing tears to your eyes and a smile on your face all at the same time...... I loved the book and the movie. I couldn't put the book down......!

Diana
I have read 'A Little Princess' countless times. I am now reading it to my niece. I have always loved the story from the first time I read it. The author was an amazing artist who has the ability to make the words on the page come alive. Over the years I have also seen a number of movies that have been made from the story. They are decent stories, but most change the ending so that Sara's father is alive at the end. I am not sure if this is due to Hollywood's need for a happy ending to movies, but I think the viewers could definitley have handled and enjoyed the ending that is in the book. I think the book has a happy ending and makes more sense. <br><br>There is one movie, however, that is a much truer rendition of the story. It was made by the BBC. It is longer than your typicla movie, it is 2 VHS casettes. It runs in three parts and I believe that the BBC made it originally to air on TV. It really does a great job of following the book, with only minor adjustments. All of the important parts are there, including the ending primarily as it was originally written. The only real difference is that the children of the "Large Family" have a smaller role in the movie, but it does work well. I would recomend that if you wanted to see a movie that does it's best to be true to the author, check out the BBC version. Enjoy!

Ashley
This book was good. If you like a riches to rags story. It was a good fariy tale. I call it a fariy tale because I don't think it could actully happen. Thank you Frances Hodgson Burnett for writing wonderful books. If her books were not written a part of America would be gone. It would be like it never happened. Books would be different. She helped people write better. She helped me write better. Want to be better. Thanks Frances for helping me be a better writer!

Hannah
I loved this movie and book so much! It filled my heart with joy, but at the same time made me cry. The relationships are so real! I read the book and saw the movie when i was little and i will still do the same when i am old!