PDA

View Full Version : Catcher in the Rye

Pages : [1] 2

Millow
06-12-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm supposed to be comparing existentialism and the importance of individuality in Catcher and 1984, I'm completely stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

nome1486
06-12-2003, 08:29 PM
As I understand it, existentialism basically is belief in the importance of individuality--that life has no meaning except what each individual makes of it. So, if you have some information on existential philosophers (Jean-Paul Sartre is one), you can demonstrate how this philosophy is used in those novels--how the characters make their own choices about what their lives should be like. I know that's not much, but does it help at all?

chrissy
06-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Simone de Bouvoirs another existentialist philosopher that's worth checking out. I don't know much about it and it's been a while since I read Catcher in the Rye but I remember the book focusing on the individual character and his inabilty to fit in to the structures around him.
Maybe that's a starting point for you.........

AbdoRinbo
06-13-2003, 04:16 PM
I remember the book focusing on the individual character and his inabilty to fit in to the structures around him.
Maybe that's a starting point for you.........

That's it! Existentialism was partly a response to the pre-WWII fascination with Ferdinand de Saussure's Structuralism (in which each identity takes on its meaning on the basis of a relationship with other parts of an overall structure). The Existentialists spear-headed the movement that the Postmodernists (or, more precisely, Poststructuralists) became famous for. Jacques Derrida (Deconstruction), Jacques Lacan (Psychoanalysis), Michel Foucault (New Historicism), and Judith Butler (Queer Theory), as well as William V. Spanos (Postcolonialism) are some of the big names in the field of Poststructuralism. Here's a brief explanaton of the three different schools and their relationship with each other:

Structuralism preaches the doctrine that signs (words, for example) operate based on a system of differences. Words correspond to certain ideas . . . obviously we couldn't have just one word to capture every meaning, because the word would be too vague and would, subsequently, become useless. On the other hand, we could not have 1,000 different words that all mean the same thing, because, practically speaking, it wouldn't make any sense to use so many different signs to represent one idea. So we generally have a system of one idea per corresponding word . . . sometimes words share many different meanings (e.g. 'dull', 'grace', 'fly') and other times one meaning is signified by many different words, but the whole system is generally balanced. Those are the bare bones of Structuralism. You can apply this theory to anything that has an identity (this theory has been applied to everything from Economics to how the Human Mind operates).

Existentialism rejects the notion that meaning exists out there somewhere, and that the words (or any other sign, be it audial, visual, sensual, &c.) we use are nothing more than little doorways to the presence of those meanings. Existentialists are individuals who are willing to live their lives both within and without the system that frames their identity. They accept the truth that life is absurd and that no prior meaning can be found . . . in that sense, they operate within it. However, as individuals, they construct their own meanings--their own fates--outside of the system they are operating in from day to day by creating their own moral code and living each day as if it were the last. Existentialism is a way of soothing the anxiety that transpires when everything you have known up to a certain point becomes a lie.

The Poststructuralists point out a few of the major flaws in both Structuralism and Existentialism: That signs are thought of as gateways toward meaning . . . and that meaning exists out there somewhere beyond our reach, is founded on a very poblematic set of concepts. First of all, I have said that Structuralism is based on a 'system of differences'. The Poststructuralists pointed out that Saussure still presupposed that meaning was 'out there' somewhere without adequately explaining the nature of the signs, which are the revealers of the presence of meaning. After all, 'meaning' is a word . . . it is a sign that operates just like all of the other signs . . . founded on the principle that differences precede identity. It forms its own particular identity (just as all signs do) because there is another sign out there that is opposed to it and it alone: 'absence'.

Consider this question: Can there be a 'derivitive' without an 'original'? Of course not. So, likewise, there cannot be an original without a derivitive to make it 'original'. If there was never a derivitive, then the idea of originality would never have been there to begin with . . . the two are co-dependent. It works just the same with other dichotomies such as Male/Female, Good/Evil, Father/Child, Being/Nothingness. If difference does indeed precede identity, then meaning of the sort that Saussure imagined is illegitimate since it exists outside the system of signification (the collection of all signs).

But what is a structure? It is a relationship of signs. For example, when I (an American) say 'yes', I am converying a very specific meaning. Perhaps I am responding to a question, or maybe I am just letting someone know that I am ready to listen. Regardless, I am using a certain sound to represent an idea. At the same time, Jean-Charles in Strasbourg, a Frenchman is saying 'oui' and conveying the same idea that I am . . . but why the different word? Why do I say yes while he says oui? Because yes has a different placement in the structure of the English language. Oui means the same thing, but its placement in the French linguistic structure is not the same as ours. Yes means 'yes' because it is not the word 'less', 'mess', 'bless', 'blast', 'past', or any other word for the matter. And, of course, the same goes for jean-Charles. The identities of words are the same as the identities of people . . . read the French Neo-Freudian, Jacques Lacan, if you want to know how peoples' minds work in a linguistic system. You are the reader because I am the writer. I am AbdoRinbo because I am not Chrissy, nome1486, Zooey, or anyone else for that matter, which comes as a slap in the face to the Existentialist theory of the 'autonomy of the individual'. Check out any of the authors I have listed above for a more thorough and articulate description of Poststructuralism.

Millow
06-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks! I'll try and use some of the stuff you guys said.

fayefaye
12-07-2003, 12:32 AM
ok, let's get a discussion going. What did you think?

Stanislaw
12-07-2003, 02:09 AM
I have heard the name, And have heard that it is a good book, but I have never read it. What is it about.

*showing off my ignorance:(*

fayefaye
12-07-2003, 03:08 AM
This guy, Holden Caulfield, gets kicked out of another school. the stuff that happens after that.

one of my fave things about it-it makes fun of Dickens.[delightful]. Anyone want to discuss Salinger's writing style? At first I really liked it, but halfway through I got pretty sick of it. It was killing me, it really was. The continuous double negatives, repetition in the sentences, and millions of sentences ending in 'and all.' I started going nuts. I know he did in on purpose, but I got sick of reading things like 'they didn't hardly ever.' [maybe I'm just pedantic. should I be the new grammer nazi?]

Demona
12-07-2003, 05:56 AM
*reading it now*
I agree that the grammar part gets pretty annoying at some point but on the other hand - it`s an average teenager...what did you expect?
in general, i like the book so far - its very funny; the way he describes everything, and all. (c) =]
Holden is a non-conformist, has his principles...
i pretty much agree with the phony-people/world idea but
lets see how it goes on.

Dick Diver
12-07-2003, 09:57 AM
And the author has been true to his art - the book's cover, his hermitic existence, etc.

In a world where so many artists 'sell out', kudos to him for writing 'the assassin's favourite novel'.

His other published work is excellent too - I do hope he has been writing all these decades and not just masturbating or something.....;)

:eek:

crisaor
12-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Stanislaw
I have heard the name, And have heard that it is a good book, but I have never read it.
You should give it a try. I'm positive you'll like it.

Originally posted by fayefaye
Anyone want to discuss Salinger's writing style? At first I really liked it, but halfway through I got pretty sick of it. It was killing me, it really was. The continuous double negatives, repetition in the sentences, and millions of sentences ending in 'and all.' I started going nuts. I know he did in on purpose, but I got sick of reading things like 'they didn't hardly ever.' [maybe I'm just pedantic. should I be the new grammar nazi?]
I actually enjoyed it. As you say, it's part of the vocabulary of a 16 years old. It can be tiresome, I'll admit that (not for me, though :D ).
About that new occupation, I wouldn't apply for the job if I were you. There's too much of that already ;)

Koa
12-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Double negatives??? Good I read a translation.... I'll tell you a secret...if you ever want to get me very confused, use a lot of negatives in sentence :D

fayefaye
12-08-2003, 11:21 AM
most sixteen year olds have better vocabulary than that. Or at least, I would hope so.

Koa
12-08-2003, 11:23 AM
You're far too optimistic on that Faye. I believe most 16-year-old, at least British ones, have a far worse vocabulary than that, and I'm talking about spoken language, cos when it comes to writing they would spell correctly 1 word out of 5.

fayefaye
12-08-2003, 11:30 AM
I think you're way off-people in england are far better at english than people here, and excellent spellers to boot.

IWilKikU
12-08-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm an american who lives in England. I live in a city called Bracknell. It's a disgusting city full of disgusting people. Back in the US, I live in a little redneck town called New Market, VA. And lemme tell ya, average joe New Market could out grammer average joe Bracknell with in his sleep. People here are illiterate.

Koa
12-08-2003, 02:12 PM
oh my god

den
12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
All around... you have my sympathies. ;)

Originally posted by IWilKikU
I'm an american who lives in England. I live in a city called Bracknell. It's a disgusting city full of disgusting people. Back in the US, I live in a little redneck town called New Market, VA. And lemme tell ya, average joe New Market could out grammer average joe Bracknell with in his sleep. People here are illiterate.

Dick Diver
12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
I live in England and there are many plebs here.

Part of the problem is the dumbing down of society which is encouraged by our dear leader Phony Blair.

Most plebs only read The Sun newspaper or if they are feeling adventurous, Heat magazine.

Don't get the wrong impression - I'm not feeling superior because I read - I just get angry at how people get fed crap and accept it.

I should add that where America leads, we follow - culturally as well as militarily.

IWilKikU
12-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Whereabouts do you live Dick?

Dick Diver
12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Beautiful South London.....

imthefoolonthehill
12-09-2003, 12:12 AM
As a 16-year-old, I object. I have, like, a big vocabulary, dude!

By the way... Catcher in the Rye is a wonderful and inspiring book.

While the writing style may grow tiresome for some people, I believe it adds to the tone, as well as defining the style of the writing. It helps create the image of a teenager who doesn't give a **** about tradition or conformity. In fact, he hates all the phoniness around him. All the high-horsed freaks who talk like Harding from One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest display phoniness in their language whereas Holden shows that we needn't use words no one understands to appear smart.

Oh... P.S. I love his ideas on Phoniness... it REALLY IS all around us.

AbdoRinbo
12-09-2003, 05:15 AM
Koa, I love your signature.

fayefaye
12-09-2003, 05:57 AM
I KNOW that your average sixteen year old's vocabulary and grammer's got to be better than that. Aside from that, Holden was supposed to be 17 when he wrote it, recounting things that happened when he was 16. And I'm definately sticking up for British spelling ability. Just cause I love that country.

David J
12-09-2003, 08:15 AM
I once saw on tv a debate about which book better represented the voice of American rebellious youth - Catcher in the Rye or On the Road. Just wondering what you think about that.

IWilKikU
12-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Dick Diver, do you know any really good used book stores anywhere near central London? Or at least near an underground stop? If so can you give me directions? I'll probably get into London at least once more before I go home for the holidays.

johnnyb7
12-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Charing Cross Road is lined with used book shops. Also outside the National Film Theatre on the South Bank there are open air book stalls where you can just walk around and browse away to your hearts content.

IWilKikU
12-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks Johnny

Dick Diver
12-10-2003, 02:39 PM
I can only concur with johnnyb7 - I'm so poor at the moment, it's either the library or shoplifting.:)

Koa
12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Sorry...I can't help it...I believe it's 'grammar', not 'grammer'...

I'm almost sure cos in my mind English words are listed using Italian reading rules...therefore I know how I'd read them if I didn't know English... therefore I remember how to spell them.

I've noticed how many little spelling mistakes English speakers do, because of the irregularity of the English spelling rules... At first I was shocked, then I realised how it works in their mind and noticed how easy it is to get it wrong

*throws fireworks to wake people up after this speech*

Hey about Holden...I once lent the book to a friend of mine, he read it all (quite rare for him), and liked it...and he's still wondering where the hell the ducks go when the lake is frozen (or whatever that question was ;))

Jay
12-11-2003, 02:55 PM
lol Koa, it indeed IS "grammar" ;) :D

lol lol, still awake and with you there, and I got to the same conclusion myself, but without the Italian thingy, I know maybe ten or less Italian words

Does anyone know where the ducks go when the lake is frozen? ;) :D

azmuse
12-11-2003, 08:22 PM
or where the butterflies go when it rains?

fayefaye
12-12-2003, 05:16 AM
the ducks fly south for the winter [I think. Maybe they just disappear into some weird parallel universe?], and the fish stay in the pond, but it's only frozen at the surface, of course. Maybe butterflies just search for shelter somewhere? i dont' think Judas is in hell either, but maybe I shouldn't say that. (?)

IWilKikU
12-12-2003, 02:34 PM
I have a friend with a pond. They feed thier ducks year round so they never fly away. Sometimes they are flying around and try to land on the ice and just splatter and skid across the lake. hehe. They dont really get hurt, it just looks funny.

But seriously, Ducks, along with most songbirds, fly south. They ususally end up in Mexico or souther US, depending on how cold it is that winter.

fayefaye
12-14-2003, 05:07 AM
that sort of takes the wonder out of it, doesn't it?

IWilKikU
12-14-2003, 07:49 AM
sorry :)

fayefaye
12-15-2003, 05:39 AM
that's ok. I like his idea of pretending to be mute. Sometimes I like to pretend I can't speak English. :)

Jay
12-15-2003, 05:44 AM
LOL Faye :D, sometimes I don't even need to pretend :D ;)

fayefaye
12-15-2003, 05:53 AM
It's pretty funny.. until they start getting desperate and giving me weird looks, then I go and TALK and they realise I can understand them. which sucks, because then I'm drawn into a -oh-no- conversation.

Koa
12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
That's fun... I know some guys that stopped people asking for directions pretending to be tourists, and after the person struggled to explain for a while, they just said 'Ok guys, that way', in our dialect... :D

Sometimes I wonder how I'd feel if I couldn't read, and all these signs were nonsense to me...

imthefoolonthehill
12-19-2003, 02:08 AM
fayefaye

Read one flew over the cukoo's nest...

it has a guy in there who pretends to be mute... and the author has some really good ideas as to why we should pretend to be mute... (or something like that)

fayefaye
12-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Not just mute, but deaf too. :)

DumbLikeAPoet
12-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Dick Diver

His other published work is excellent too - I do hope he has been writing all these decades and not just masturbating or something.....;)

Seriously does anyone have any info on what Salinger has been doing since he dropped out of sight? Does he give interviews?

Jonus

imthefoolonthehill
12-24-2003, 02:12 AM
fayefaye- have you read it?

(you are right of course)...

I have yet to find someone who has also read that book... I absolutely LOVE it...

I've read it twice so far... bought the book from the library... :-D (they were going to discard it after the next book sale)

fayefaye
12-24-2003, 05:49 AM
No. ... but sometimes I pretend I'm deaf too. ;) I don't even know who it's by....?

Jay
12-24-2003, 10:56 AM
It's by Ken Kesey if I'm not mistaken and understand you wanted the author of the One Fly Over the Cuckoo's Nest...

Zooey
12-27-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by imthefoolonthehill
As a 16-year-old, I object. I have, like, a big vocabulary, dude!

By the way... Catcher in the Rye is a wonderful and inspiring book.

While the writing style may grow tiresome for some people, I believe it adds to the tone, as well as defining the style of the writing. It helps create the image of a teenager who doesn't give a **** about tradition or conformity. In fact, he hates all the phoniness around him. All the high-horsed freaks who talk like Harding from One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest display phoniness in their language whereas Holden shows that we needn't use words no one understands to appear smart.

Oh... P.S. I love his ideas on Phoniness... it REALLY IS all around us. Thank gawd that there's at least one illuminating post on this whole thread. I was hoping for some interesting discussion on this controversial book, but alas, none is to be found.

And the thing is, I can't really add much to it. Obviously I prefer Salinger's Franny and Zooey, but I'd consider Catcher to be one of my favorite books as well. Problem is, I read it so long ago I don't really remember a whole lot of specifics. I do agree, as a teenager, that this is a book that tends to speak to teens more than any other age group. Holden embodies those of us who dare to break the mold and search for something deeper than the superficiality most teenagers (and people in general) are content to live their lives in. He may not be the best or the brightest or the most eloquent, but damn it, he's trying. Just for that I think he's one of the most fascinating characters in all of fiction.

Actually, I just received a copy of this book (the awesome reprint of the first edition) for Christmas, and was planning on giving it another look over Christmas break. Will add some thoughts when that actually happens.

Originally posted by Dick Diver
His other published work is excellent too - I do hope he has been writing all these decades and not just masturbating or something.....;) Hmm... never really thought about this. It would be interesting (and wonderful) if after his passing (God forbid) a bunch of his work suddenly surfaces a la Kafka. Hopefully the man has been writing all this time.

And if he has been masturbating this whole time, hopefully at least he's enjoyed himself and feels that it was worth it in the end. ;)

fayefaye
12-27-2003, 05:10 AM
All us teens should gather together to overthrow the stupid image that Nic has given to youth. And, yeah, I like the phoniness idea too. I've probably come across far worse phonies than Holden has.

imthefoolonthehill
12-30-2003, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the compliment on my post, Zooey...

I got Catcher in the Rye for Christmas too... and have the same plans... if I can ever get through that *#%&@*(%& Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)... it is so dry, it could soak up the pacific.

fayefaye
12-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Why don't you throw it into the ocean and see what happens?

DumbLikeAPoet
12-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Don't do it Fool!!!!! OMG what if it really soaks up the pacific?

Jonus

fayefaye
12-31-2003, 06:17 AM
lol. then I can make my trek to the US. :)

imthefoolonthehill
01-04-2004, 03:24 AM
lol... I finally finished that... and I think you can start walking anytime, fayefaye

cheers_see
01-04-2004, 06:16 AM
i was drawn to the book by its big fame as the most important book of the most important author so taken by many americans, for a reason i believe, that's their hero of their time. but for the style and language, forget it...

imthefoolonthehill
01-11-2004, 02:53 AM
All us teens should gather together to overthrow the stupid image that Nic has given to youth. And, yeah, I like the phoniness idea too. I've probably come across far worse phonies than Holden has.

who is nic? Not the author... not Colden Haulfield... who?

fayefaye
01-11-2004, 05:52 AM
never mind. hey, looks like it's time for my random quotes!

'I'm sort of glad they've got the atomic bomb invented. If there's ever another war, I'm going to sit right the hell on top of it. I'll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will'

'It's hopeless, anyway. If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'F*ck you' signs in the world. It's impossible'

'I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say 'Holden Caulfield' on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say 'F*ck you.' I'm positive, in fact.'

Don't know why I chose those....

crisaor
01-11-2004, 12:10 PM
You know, just because AbdoRinbo is gone, you don't have to fill his "pointless replies" void.

Koa
01-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Why? The quotes are nice, I like to find quotes in books and I thought it was nice fay put hers...If u were referring to that.

imthefoolonthehill
01-12-2004, 12:17 AM
I liked those quotes so much... they are going into my aim profile.

IWilKikU
01-12-2004, 01:59 AM
those are great quotes. Good call Faye.

fayefaye
01-12-2004, 07:03 AM
I wanted to get a discussion going on how Holden thinks. You know, he sorta sounds a bit trapped, but is he really? Anyway, I like 'em. fool-what's an aim profile anyways?

crisaor
01-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Koa
Why? The quotes are nice, I like to find quotes in books and I thought it was nice fay put hers...If u were referring to that.
I like to find quotes too, but I wasn't referring to that post specifically. Nevermind :) .

imthefoolonthehill
01-13-2004, 02:37 AM
fayefaye- an aim profile is uh... well first I should say what aim is...

It stands for Aol Instant Messenger. (I like msn better but my friends are all on aim)... anyways.. Aim gives you a place to talk about whatever... most people have quotes or say who they are... and they call it the aim profile.

Munro
01-13-2004, 04:20 AM
To state the obvious - Holden doesn't want to grow up but feels it's too late and that he has to, and despises the corruption of the world he's awakened to. He wants to protect kids from the faults of adults, like the word "****" written all over Phoebe's school. He wants to catch all of the kids before they fall, maybe to stop them from having to grow up.
For some reason, I always interpreted the catcher in the rye as a psychologist. My English teacher frowned when I told him that.

Sindhu
01-13-2004, 04:57 AM

one of my fave things about it-it makes fun of Dickens.[delightful]. I'll state the obvious first- I think Salinger's books are great- thogh I prefer the Glass books to Catcher. Catcher IS a favourite read though.
But faye, I never noticed the "makes fun of Dickens" bit- or am I forgetting something? Are we talking content or style here? I'm intrigued- information, please!:)
Sindhu.

fayefaye
01-13-2004, 05:55 AM
like at the start when he refers to 'all that David Copperfield kind of crap', he also makes another reference to Dickens books later, can't pinpoint it now though. Might try to track it down later. I think it was a reference to Great Expectations, but can't remember at the moment.

Munro- I love your interpretation of it. The significance of the whole 'catcher in the rye' thing is something else I wanted to discuss.

Munro
01-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Holden doesn't "diss" Dickens. I haven't read it and probably won't for a long time to come, but 'David Copperfield' begins with a really long introduction of family pasts and related stories that occurred before the story, it probably goes on for a chapter. So Holden begins the story without a long Dickensian introduction, not necessarily denouncing the novel. Just rejecting it's style.

imthefoolonthehill
01-14-2004, 01:53 AM
uh... no... you misunderstood.... he didn't start out with a dickensian introduction... he starts out saying he hates stupidly long introductions like the one in David Copperfield.

Zooey
01-15-2004, 04:19 AM
I got Catcher in the Rye for Christmas too... and have the same plans... if I can ever get through that *#%&@*(%& Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)... it is so dry, it could soak up the pacific. Halfway through Catcher, but it's competing with two other books (not counting reading for class) for my attention. I'm falling in love with it all over again, though.

I understand and sympathize with you on Scarlet Letter. It's tough going, and I realized yesterday it's on the syllabus for one of my classes, so I'll be reading it again later this semester. I think I may enjoy it more now knowing the characters and themes going into it... and I also think Dimesdale (sp?) is one of the most interesting characters in fiction. But hopefully it'll be more, uh, interesting this time.

fayefaye
01-15-2004, 08:34 AM
uh... no... you misunderstood.... he didn't start out with a dickensian introduction... he starts out saying he hates stupidly long introductions like the one in David Copperfield.

yeah-exactly. And the problem with Dickens is that he's boring and VERBOSE. (hehe faye's unresolved issues with Dickens)

IWilKikU
01-15-2004, 01:52 PM
i like dickens :(

Dick Diver
01-15-2004, 03:14 PM
I avoided Dickens for years, then last summer finally faced up to him. He beat my a$$. No, seriously I doff my cap to him - I love characters like the Aged in Great Expectations, they are very original and very strange. I think that Great Expectations is a masterpiece and SO not boring. He was obviously fettered by the needs of weekly publication and is prone to melodrama - but his reputation is founded on his unique imagination and confirmed by prose like at the end of A Tale Of Two Cities.

Koa
01-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by crisaor
I like to find quotes too, but I wasn't referring to that post specifically. Nevermind :) .

Ok i wasnt sure infact... :)

I know I underlined some sentences when i read it... I might quote them here but I'd have to translate them roughly...

I love when he says soemthing like 'don't tell anyone anything, otherwise you'd miss everyone'... or something like that...It's so true somehow...

Sindhu
01-16-2004, 01:30 AM
i like dickens :( I LIKE DICKENS! :)
You really can't stand him, can you faye, Catcher is one of my favourite books, but I never picked on the Dickens angle as particularly important! Trust you to spot it!;)

fayefaye
01-17-2004, 02:19 AM
hehe. I was teasing kik about dickens earlier-hence the tiny print. :) Here, I'll get more quotes for you to devour-
'Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway.'

'Game, my *ss. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all tight - I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game.'

I HAVE to ask, do american's REALLY spell goodbye 'good-by'?? THAT'S CRAZY.

Munro
01-17-2004, 05:46 AM

You told me I misunderstood, then backed up exactly what I was saying...your immense wit and insight seems to inverse itself sometimes.
Read posts more carefully before you refute them.

Munro
01-17-2004, 05:47 AM

fayefaye
01-17-2004, 06:13 AM
I love your sig, munro.

well, we're already off topic.

Koa
01-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Have I ever told you that the Italian title of the book is just 'The Young Holden'? There's a note inside explaing the chatcher in the rye thing, but I guess they had no clue of how to translate it in a way that could sound good and have the same effect.

There's a quote I like.... It's towards the end, when Holden is at a teacher's house, I don't remember anything else. Rough translation by me (argh re-translating a translation, I feel like a murderer... I need to put my hands on an original copy, the language must be interesting... in the translation he sounds like comedians on tv shows that try to sound young but are close to be ridicolous...)
"Those who hurl down (??) are not allowed to realise not to feel when they touch the bottom. They just keep on hurling down. This beautiful chance is in the destiny of men who, in some moment of other of their life, looked for something their environment couldn't give them. Or that they thought their environment couldn't give them. So they stopped searching. They stopped before they even really started"

I think I liked it cos when I read the book I was feeling like that: falling down cos I had refused to try and fit in my environment, and I probably gave up before even starting to struggle...

fayefaye
01-18-2004, 05:32 AM
GOT IT KOA!! It's one of my faves, too.
here;
'This fall I think you're riding for - it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. The gave up before they ever really even got started.'

IWilKikU
01-18-2004, 07:09 AM

I HAVE to ask, do american's REALLY spell goodbye 'good-by'?? THAT'S CRAZY.

Well, I'm American and I spell it goodbye. I dont think that I've ever seen it spelled like that. But I have seen people spell "See you later", "Cyal8r" so who knows what those crazy Americans will do next. ;)

Koa
01-18-2004, 12:04 PM
I've seen british do the cul8r thing, and worse *sighs*

Aww thanks Faye! Wow I'm not that bad as rough translator, if I had dedicated more than 3 minutes to it I might have done a vrey good job ;)

imthefoolonthehill
01-19-2004, 01:03 AM
fayefaye- is that falling quote from Catcher in the Rye?

fayefaye
01-19-2004, 01:45 AM
of course. :)

imthefoolonthehill
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
I read half of it today... haven't got there yet.

got...gotten? haven't read that yet....there we go.

I know I'm posting three times in a row.... but does anyone have any other thoughts on this book?

Koa
01-23-2004, 03:19 PM
fool, that quote is towards the end

gotten is American English, got is British. Unless I'm mistaken :D

imthefoolonthehill
01-28-2004, 01:27 AM
yeah... I finished it the other day... it wasn't half as good as I remembered it.

fayefaye
01-28-2004, 06:58 AM
lol. haven't gotten there yet? nah, that can't be it. :) I finished the catcher the same day I bought it, I think that ruins it a bit, because all the syntax gets to you, and all.

Other than that, holden reminded me a bit of Tom from the Glass menagerie. hmm.... will write more later.

IWilKikU
01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I love reading a whole book in a day. It gives you such a round sence of completion.

Sindhu
01-29-2004, 01:10 AM
So do I- I try really hard to finish any book in one day unless it is something REALLY impossibble of The War and Peace or Ulysses proportions.It does give a rounded off feeling!

fayefaye
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
I jaywalk like Phoebe. Absolutely mad. Most of the time the cars slow down. Except for this one time when some guy stepped on the gas! Illustrious game of chicken. He/she stepped on the gas, and I stopped walking. :p In the end, they stepped on the breaks, and I ran like anything. I'm such an idiot. I'll get myself killed one day. But the way I figure, THEY are in a car. I have to walk and catch public transport everywhere I go. THEY should wait for ME. Life's too short to stand there by the crossroads, hoping they'll stop. Gotta run, run, run!

azmuse
01-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Please don't visit Philly or San Francisco, faye ;)

IWilKikU
01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
haha or Bracknell. Once a guy swerved out of a round-a-bout and off the lane part of the road to try and hit me. Than he turned around, went back to the round-a-bout and left in a different direction. What a jerk!

Koa
01-31-2004, 06:14 PM
LOL...here they never stop... Crossing a street is becoming the most dangerous task of life. When they do stop I start crossing veeeeeery slooooooowly to piss them off (cos most dont really stop, just slow down- if I'm that slow they eventually have to stop. Until the day they don't ...:D) When I drive I stop to make pedestrians cross, especially if there's a car behind me, again to piss them off: I detest having cars 2 cm behind me, it drives mad!

imthefoolonthehill
02-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Yep... I hate tailgaters too.... especially on the freeway... I have stopped before on the freeway just because someone is tailgating me.... I slowly slow down... 75...65...55..........35....25......0. I can't wait till I am 21 and can get a conceiled weapons permit... then I can feel a heck of a lot safer when I'm pissing people off.

fayefaye
02-09-2004, 10:33 AM
lol. freaky s***, fool with a concealed weapons permit.

imthefoolonthehill
02-09-2004, 02:24 PM
both my parents have them... i intend on getting one asap ... er... as soon as legally possible... asalp

Koa
02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
wow sorry to generalise but that sound so...American. Never ehard of anyone wanting to get a weapon to piss people off when driving here... even if we definitely have roadrage.
I remembered how much I wanted to be 18 to get a driving licence (yep 18 here), to be independant (public transport sucks here, I often had to ask my parents to drive me at friend's houses).
Nothing relevant happens at 21 here, it's just a birthday like all the others. *feels suddenly very old*

fayefaye
02-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Stupid constitution. Nothing here about gettting big guns to ring in the new year. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

imthefoolonthehill
02-13-2004, 02:44 AM
lol... I already own several firearms... its just that I can't legally conceil them in my vehicle... so they would have to be in plain view (and could possibly be stolen)... and I just like the security of having Betty Lou next to me... its a good feeling...

please note it would only be used in defense... and when I get road rage... i get passive aggressive... not aggressive aggressive. :-D

Cassandra
02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Can anyone give me a quick outline of this book. I think I got it but I feel that i missed some of the points the author was trying to make.

fayefaye
02-21-2004, 05:16 AM
Fool, I'm scared. :) cass, do you have to do an essay on it or something?

Cassandra
02-21-2004, 06:47 AM
Not really, just curious. I found it really interesting and was just curious.

IWilKikU
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Read it again. I find that if I pick somthing up myself, its much more rewarding than if someone tells me about it. And don't feel bad. When I finished it I was blown away, but I was also like "uh... what the hell?" So I read it again. Its short enough that you can do that.

Oh yeah, also try searching this forum's archives, because I know that we had a pretty in depth discussion on it a few months ago.

Cassandra
02-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks

Munro
02-23-2004, 06:16 PM
I want to revive this discussion with a question you've proabably all considered:

What do you think happened to Holden after the novel?
I like to think he found some kind of harmony and sense in his world. Other people on the net say his fall didn't end, and he was destined for the bottom.

imthefoolonthehill
02-24-2004, 03:09 AM
hmmm... I imagine him working at McDonalds for the rest of his life.... just because that is his sort of luck.

IWilKikU
02-24-2004, 12:15 PM
I imagine him surviving life until he becomes one of those increadibly bitter old nursing home men.

Munro
02-24-2004, 10:39 PM
You think his talk with Mr. Antolini meant absolutely nothing? I'm sure some of what he said stuck to him. Now I'm starting to think he turned out as a lonely old hobo.

I used to think that he'd straighten up and find some consolation in some people he'd eventually meet and fit in with. Finally finish school, maybe.

fayefaye
02-25-2004, 12:22 PM
I bet he did something good.

IWilKikU
02-25-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't think he did. I saw the book more as a warning. Like, "Don't become bitter and unhappy like Holden."

fayefaye
02-27-2004, 10:33 AM
No! I saw it like 'You can overcome bitterness and unhappiness' Holden, at the end, doesn't he go back to school? And he talks about how nice it is, sitting there watching Phoebe, like it all worked out.

I had a test today, and I couldn't stop thinking about catcher because '**** YOU ****' was written on the desk in big, fat letters.

imthefoolonthehill
03-13-2004, 01:48 AM
I can't see it written and not think about Holden desperately trying to remove it.

fayefaye
03-18-2004, 07:43 AM
I tried to rub off the biro, but it was kind of carved into the wood.

avid_reader
03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
read it some yrs back .. great read .. esp if you are a high school kid ... the book would touch you (not that it would touch others!)

imthefoolonthehill
03-20-2004, 01:21 AM
you mean wouldn't right?

y2jazz
03-20-2004, 11:31 PM
wow, i just finished this book 2 weeks ago.

fayefaye
03-21-2004, 03:57 AM
your point?

imthefoolonthehill
03-30-2004, 02:39 AM
fayefaye's point?

emily655321
03-30-2004, 07:50 AM
I read it in 10th grade and hated its guts. Although my friends and I still call each other 'sexy moronic bastards.' Holden was a hypocrite; he didn't like phonies, but he always put on a fake face for everyone. He's an example of one of those hypothetical young men who think they are Napoleons but are actually quite ordinary, to allude to Crime and Punishment.

I don't think he would actually go through with suicide, because his unhappiness was just more like narcissistic bitterness. He's gonna live a bitter, unfulfilled, perfectly ordinary life.

fayefaye
04-02-2004, 08:01 AM
he gets over it. wasn't that the point? somewhere along the line he grows up?

emily655321
04-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Well, I bought him getting over that spat of whatever-his-problem-was, but he still seemed kinda...out of touch. He didn't get over the "carousel" obsession (you know, some kind of child divinity)... but then, neither did Salinger.

EAP
04-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I read it in 10th grade and hated its guts. Although my friends and I still call each other 'sexy moronic bastards.' Holden was a hypocrite; he didn't like phonies, but he always put on a fake face for everyone. He's an example of one of those hypothetical young men who think they are Napoleons but are actually quite ordinary, to allude to Crime and Punishment.

That's the reason behind my liking it. The book is half choked of ironies. And is fun to read too.

Avalive
04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
People've been talking too much about it. Some like it, while the others don't. The votes for every book should only be 2---"Yes"&"No" and nothing can be justice. Reading a book is a personal thing. Enjoy what u like is the point. Farewell comments.
I like "The Catcher inThe Rye" much, very much...

IWilKikU
04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I see what you're saying Avalive, but this is a literature forum, where people discuss literature, wether or not they like something, and why.

Avalive
04-02-2004, 10:32 PM
That's true, Iwillkiku, I see ur point too. There is actually no conflict in this.
And I've jioned this discussion. I've been listenning and ready to be talking.

fayefaye
04-08-2004, 08:22 AM
*grinning at kik's avatar and trying to figure out what's on his head* looks like it might be one of those 'hannibal lecter' head things. you know, to stop you going crazy and trying to eat people. :)

simon
04-08-2004, 03:36 PM
The fact that the theme of teenage troubled boy has been so overplayed in recent years took away from the innovativness of the book.

IWilKikU
04-08-2004, 08:30 PM
*grinning at kik's avatar and trying to figure out what's on his head* looks like it might be one of those 'hannibal lecter' head things. you know, to stop you going crazy and trying to eat people. :)

*Grins back at Faye* Actually there's nothing on my head. Its somthing in the background. I think a wicker chair? Maybe? Anyways, a wicker chair isn't going to stop me from going crazy and eating people. *evil grin*

Anyways, the innovation... yeah... The angsty teenage youth bit is overdone, but I don't think that its ever been done as well as Salinger was able to do it. I've read several books with similar plots, but Catcher is by far the most moving, realistic, well-written, and all around enjoyable of the lot. And it came in the early days of teenage angst literature, so its innovation is there too if you can take yourself back 40 some odd years.

I'm taking a closer look at my avatar and I see that it does need some explination. So here it goes ONLY ONCE!!!! After this, it shall forever remain a mystery. I'm lying on a sofa in the lobby of my dorm, stomach down. My head is in my girlfriends lap, nestled in my dull yellow hoody. Its about 3:30 AM, so that explains the half stoned look on my face. In the background there is a dieing plant. But there is nothing affixed to my head in any way, shape, or form. As I crunched the immage down to fit it into a 50X50 block it sort of squashed the colors together, so thats why I have bright red blotches.

Any questions?
Too bad.

Thats all I have to say about that!

emily655321
04-09-2004, 10:53 PM
LOL I think we should start a thread just to tease kik's avatar in any and every way possible.

fayefaye
04-09-2004, 11:55 PM
lol. Oh, absolutely. Hey, kik, the great thing about wicker chairs is, you can use them to knock your prey unconscious, or at least stun them, then move in for the kill. :D hehe. This is a more amusing conversation than the whole teenage angsty thing. :)

[if I ever fix my digital camera (unlikely, technology hates me) I'll stick up a funny avatar and you can have revenge]

well, I read one flew over the cuckoos nest.

I think I like it better than catcher.

emily655321
04-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Haven't read Cuckoo's Nest yet. Ooh but for my 16th b-day my mom got me tickets to the Broadway production starring Gary Sinise. Fourth row center....Sinise....hooray. So much better than Jack. Gotta read the book though -- I hate seeing a film/show and not reading the original.

simon
04-12-2004, 12:20 PM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is a classic and a well written book that flows. Start today emily.

I usually read the book before seeing it's movie counterpart too, since the movie version is invariably worse and not well portrayed.

amuse
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
i just saw "x" yes i know it was filmed years ago. but i'd read the book and had no desire to see the movie. well, it was so well done that i was impressed. of course, my boyfriend's sister asked me what i thought of the ending, and i replied "it's a lot different from the book," then i remembered malcolm had written the book - duh!!! :rolleyes:
and recently i saw an excellent masterpiece theatre video of moll flanders. :) :) i'm going to read the book now, because the video was great.

Koa
04-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by simon
I usually read the book before seeing it's movie counterpart too, since the movie version is invariably worse and not well portrayed.

I try to do that too...it feels more 'fair'...

fayefaye
04-13-2004, 07:07 AM
I like everything in its original medium. books instead of movies based on books, and movies instead of books based on movies, if that makes sense.

emily655321
04-13-2004, 06:16 PM
I find the concept of books based on movies abhorrent. There is of course enough material in a book to condense and cut and generally mutilate into an interesting enough flick, but trying to do it in reverse is like stretching turkey meat. How can the amount of material fitting into 2.5 hours not be LESS valuable when diluted over 300 pages?

Okay, that's my rant :p

IWilKikU
04-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know if Randall Wallace wrote Braveheart the book or Braveheart the movie first?

fayefaye
04-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Does anyone want to discuss one flew over the cuckoo's nest?

emily655321
04-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know if Randall Wallace wrote Braveheart the book or Braveheart the movie first?

A totally uneducated guess, but I assume the movie, because I read "The Scottish Chiefs" and always assumed the movie was based on that. What with the sickening number of times the author uses the phrase "braveheart."

Capnplank
04-15-2004, 01:51 PM
'Tis a wonderful book of the hypocrisy of the teenage mind convinced it is one of the few to escape being a cretin. I loved the overused phrases. Haven't any of you had friends that said the same stupid expressions over and over until you wanted to beat them with various parts of their own recently-removed anatomy? A few years back anytime my friend's sister and her friends were around, every other word coming out was "gay". Gay this, gay that, gay you and your gay mother too. Somehow in their minds this repetition never occurred to them though.
Salinger's ability to crack into the habits, mannerisms, and all else of his characters has always impressed me, though like someone else I think I appreciated the Glass stories (like "Seymour: An Introduction") moreso than "Catcher".

And back to the topic of your average 17 year old vocabulary - where I work right now they are grading standardized writing tests for that very age group, and I assure you the lack of written eloquence is somewhat staggering. It varies greatly inside of every little area, but for the most part most students don't seem to have the desire to even try to express themselves in anything other than as few and as short words as possible. Those who do manage to want to voice themselves in say, a place such as this, aren't quite the routine; just as Holden, though he still cannot escape many teenage stereotypes, is not quite the routine... which really does make one typical.

Anyhoo, I'll have to paraphrase since it's been a few years, but "Liberate yourself from my vice-like grip." stands out in my mind.

qxdc
04-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm reading this book in my senior class. Along with reading it, I must answer specific questions, analytical questions. But, I don't get this one, check it out.

Chapter 6: Is Holden secure sexually? Explain. By this time, Holden's red hunting hat has been mentioned repeatedly. Explain some plausible reasons for this and suggest a symbolic interpretations or two.

I read the chapter twice, the word "hat" is only mentioned ONCE, and the sexuality thing seems bogus. Am I wrong? Help me out guys.

Also, if u want to re-red it

http://lib.ru/SELINGER/sel_engl.txt

emily655321
04-15-2004, 11:25 PM
qxdx--

Okay, I read Catcher in 10th grade, so I don't remember it in great detail. But the hat/sexuality thing does ring a bell, cause we had loooooong discussions about the symbolism of the stupid hat. It's like his security blanket, so I believe the way it went was: when the flaps are up he's feeling confident, when they're down he's uncomfortable, and when they're fastened under his chin he's really upset. I don't remember how often it was mentioned by chapter 6, but is that the chapter with Sunny the hooker? Or is it when what's-his-name, the sexy bastard roommate, is going on a date with Holden's old girlfriend? I seem to recall something about him suddenly pulling his hat down on his head at some remark about a girl, or when he's approaching a girl... so, no, he's not too confident. I don't want to get into specific situations, because I don't know how far you've gotten in the story, but basically : he needs his security blanket (hat) when he's thinking about sex, and he gets upset when a woman's "honor" is threatened.

Hope that helps.

Em*~

qxdc
04-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes, thanks! And dont worry about "spoiling" it for me or what ever, I could care less.

simon
04-16-2004, 12:46 AM
He's only a boy, he's not sexualy secure, who is at that age?

Avalive
04-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Honestly.
It's ridiculous to analyze a novel. I'm not saying anything bad toward this topic or qxdc. Really. I'm very sorry if i'm using any unpleasant words. (smile).But, for one thing Im sure about is that--the writter,himself,might not think about why he writes like that while he was writing. For some points,he didn't even notice himsely, I bet. It's natural. But,many years later, when we read it, we find troubles forourselves--Analyze! .....I don't understand. Nobody can analyze a novel. But, yes, people can talk. Share feelings and attitudes. That's good.

btw: <catcher in the rye> is my all time fav

qxdc
04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, i think its silly. And our teacher is terrible!

"well, notice how he didn't toss the snowball? this means, he's insecure, ugly, loves nature, has sexual confusion, and the word "snow" rhymes with "no" which he says a lot, this means..."

it's like, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Dick Diver
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
snow rhymes with ho too;)

IWilKikU
04-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Ava, there's a difference between analysing and overanalysing. Some analysis is a good thing like the hat bit, reread it and see if Emily is wrong. Real people also have 'security blankets', thats one reason why Holden is easy to relate to. Salinger's strength is in his ability to add minute details like that to give his characters depth and make them more real. I don't think its fair to Salinger to say that he did all that on accident. But the whole snow rhyming bit is a bit out of whack. I said 'bit' way too much in this post.

Avalive
04-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Ava, there's a difference between analysing and overanalysing. Some analysis is a good thing like the hat bit, reread it and see if Emily is wrong. Real people also have 'security blankets', thats one reason why Holden is easy to relate to. Salinger's strength is in his ability to add minute details like that to give his characters depth and make them more real. I don't think its fair to Salinger to say that he did all that on accident. But the whole snow rhyming bit is a bit out of whack. I said 'bit' way too much in this post.

Agree...

fayefaye
04-17-2004, 05:26 AM
*quiet voice* I'm seventeen....

And I do resent these criticisms of people my age group. Just because you're young, it doesn't necessarily mean you're ignorant, illiterate and incapable of expressing yourself, even if I'm a poor example.

[edited for grammar purposes, lol. :D]

soo.... one flew over the cuckoo's nest??

emily655321
04-17-2004, 05:35 AM
True, fayefaye...but, I went to school with 950 other teenagers, and...most of 'em are. :p

OK, CUCKOO'S NEST, PEOPLE -- GO!

IWilKikU
04-17-2004, 07:40 PM
with my anylising or that I said 'bit' too much? :D

Just one more thing to add about teenagers, even though I'm not one anymore :(. My freshman year of College I peer-edited a paper that had "I be watching football." in it. But I sure as hell didn't write that way. Everybody's different and its perfectly logical for Holden to either sound like a stupid kid, or a poet and a prophet. Hell, I wrote a book when I was 16, and I like to think that it didn't sound like a stupid kid writing. BTW, I really did write a book. I don't talk about it much because either A) people don't believe me, B) people think I'm showing off, or C) people are awe inspired and think I'm some sort of God-creature and that's really uncomfortable. In case you fall under A, here's a link:

http://www.rhpa.org/newproducts/product.pl?type=sku&sku=0828013381

simon
04-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I'd hardly have the gall to write about my own family.

verybaddmom
04-17-2004, 11:08 PM
i have to say, kik, that i am impressed.
if it were not for your impeccably bad taste in music and some genres of literature, i would elevate you to God status, and fall then into category C. as it is, i think that's pretty cool, and good for you.

Avalive
04-18-2004, 02:38 AM
*Smile*

fayefaye
04-18-2004, 05:48 AM
I don't fall under any of those categories, but clicked on the link for the sake of it, wouldn't work. :confused:

ah, hell. this is too off-topic.

emily655321
04-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Kik, I'm most impressed by your perserverence. I can't think as well anymore cause of the meds, but I used to start writing the beginnings (or endings, or middles) of books all the time, but the longest I ever held out on one was about 5 months and 30 pages. (I guess I'm more of what you'd call an "idea woman.") I assure you, my respect continues to climb Mount Kik. :D (and I mean that in the most innuendo-free manner.)

fayefaye
04-18-2004, 05:59 AM
lol. I'm tired of all this kik complementing, and not enough faye complementing. :D

emily655321
04-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Aww, Faye Faye... poor Faye Faye. :D *Much complimenting of Faye*

ravana
04-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I liked Salinger with "The Cather in the rye". I liked Holden who hates almost every one and every thing. liked his poney language. First read it in my native language, then in English. listened broadcast performense version in Russian. The same thing that I feel was - enjoyment, nothing else.

What do you think happened to Holden after the novel?
I can't picture quite. Maybe he did something to be close to Jane.
All the same Jane and his little sister were the ones he loved.

I,ve read Salinger considered Hemingway and Steinbeck second rate writers but praised Melville. What d'you think about it?

emily655321
04-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Melville became popular in the 1920's just because no one knew about him, and it grew from an underground cult following into a mainstream movement. Critics are human, too, and jumped on the popularity bandwagon by reviewing it (Moby Dick) favorably, to say the least. Personally, I thought Melville could have used a good editor to cross off two thirds of the tangents he went on, just being self-indulgent and utterly losing track of the story. *thinks* A lot like Holden, actually. And half-page sentences are just bad writing, I'm sorry. I think Salinger was one of those people on the end of the spectrum opposing mass hysteria; instead of liking people because it was popular to like them, he hated people who were popular and liked things just because they happened to be part of "the underground," like Melville. You don't hear people nowadays praising Melville the way they did in Salinger's day. Unfortunately, the masses seem to have collectively willed him into the category with the greats.

Or, I could just be one who shares space at Salinger's end of the aforementioned spectrum. Probably a bit of both. :p

Koa
04-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by emily655321
Kik, I'm most impressed by your perserverence. I can't think as well anymore cause of the meds, but I used to start writing the beginnings (or endings, or middles) of books all the time, but the longest I ever held out on one was about 5 months and 30 pages. (I guess I'm more of what you'd call an "idea woman.") I assure you, my respect continues to climb Mount Kik. :D (and I mean that in the most innuendo-free manner.)

LOL...i started writing books several times... the first time I was 9 I think :D Well I've only finished a few (3 or 4) short stories, some of them were started one day and finished 2 or 3 years later... That sucks, I wish I had some pervseverance...or better, I wish that ideas could be put on paper through telepathy, without having to write (no way I'd use a computer, believe it or not I hate to type)... so I could just think and then see it done and edit by thinking... I guess I'm a desperate case of laziness :D

amuse
04-18-2004, 09:56 AM
em, i read your post, and thought not of melville but hawthorne - and though it's morning could feel my brain falling back asleep... lol :D

emily655321
04-18-2004, 10:40 AM
LOL@amuse. I read over my post to see what you meant, and uh yah that's true hehe. I've already caught the proverbial second-wind awakeness-wise (how delightful) about three times since yesterday evening, and I'm starting to go dizzy. I'm afraid what happens when I'm this tired is the prefrontal and glazzballs get some swelling and I sit like a zombie while my fingers start flying and my thesaurus-brain just kinda spills out all over the keyboard. And I ramble like this :D Great for poetry, not so good for communication. Sorry.

amuse
04-18-2004, 10:46 AM
oops, em! i didn't mean you put me to sleep like hawthorne (or rambled like faulkner :( :() i meant melville reminded me of him.

emily655321
04-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh LOL. Well, I've been told that before so I guess I assumed. Yeah, I agree with you there too. Seems like another case of critics stamping something wordy with an "A+" because they're afraid they don't understand it -- Emperor's New Clothes complex.

random_hero
04-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Wow, looking at GMT it is pretty early, 4 AM. Wow. Anyway, I would like to say that everything about that books seems to be a statement of F-U to society. maybe Im wrong, but the language may be an outlet for that rebellion. There was, if I remember correctly, alot of controversy over the book, so maybe that was the purpose. Oh yeah, and Im 18, but at sixteen I was nothing like Holdon (or however you spell his name) was. Or 17. And I like the idea of illiterate brits. Its encouraging when you live in a land of people who worship literary greats like Eminem and Tupac and Slipknot... *sarcasm*

amuse
04-30-2004, 12:06 AM
ah, but there are american brits who like tupac.
but they may also appreciate brautigan, tolstoy, twain (because of his wit and the shared b-day) and a host of others.

emily655321
04-30-2004, 12:09 AM
ROFLMAO you are, as Kik once said, "a little bitty drunked," aren't you az? :D

amuse
04-30-2004, 12:13 AM
if i drank i would be. i get punchy this time o' night for some reason. :D

emily655321
04-30-2004, 12:15 AM
LOL. It's quarter of midnight here. My brain's just beginning to wake up -- I won't be punchy till at least 5am. :D

amuse
04-30-2004, 12:21 AM
me too! and usually wide awake until 3 :D but tonight am sort of foggy brained. :eek:

imthefoolonthehill
05-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Fayefaye... I had no idea you were my age... I imagined you in college already.

anyways.. yeah, like I'm like in uh... High school man, and I'm like 17, and I, dude ya know have a uh... whaddyacallit ... big vocabulary, man uheh heh heh....

seriously... I know big words... antidisenstablishmentarianism.... SO THERE HA!!!!

:-D I do admit that about 50% of my classmate's creative writing starts out with "it was a dark and stormy night" or "I felt scared as I walked into the gloomy house" ... but to bash our collective vocabulary is to insult your future employers.... ... ... ... it must be getting late or something so.... one more big word.... Hunnuhhunnanakua. yeah... I can't spell... but thats some sort of Hawaiian fish we had to learn about.

fayefaye
05-12-2004, 05:48 AM
Fool, at least PRETEND to be articulate. :)

A huge proportion of my peers are somewhat ... *cough* WELL..... But that still doesn't justify the statement 'it's ok.... sixteen year old's vocabulary. They're all pretty dumb'

emily655321
05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Is that what this was all about? I wasn't quite following. Why does Holden have to be an example of one of the articulate ones? It doesn't mean he was supposed to represent the best and the brightest, or even the norm. Just one individual teenager, who I guess happened to have less-than-stellar communication skills.

fayefaye
05-15-2004, 01:00 AM
What's interesting is when it works the other way-people assume that if you use big words you're pretentious. I nearly wiped out 'prima facie' from an essay because I didn't want to come across as grandiloquent, and took 'elucidate' out for the same reason. And then you see people who use words all the time just to sound smart... it's kinda funny.

*smiling at use of word 'grandiloquent' in a post about wordiness*

wait a second... I use words!! :eek:

5Parker
08-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Simple... he's a dude feeling insecure. Imagine that, an insecure teenager. Freud might say a simple security blanket complex. Red hat = feel more stable sexually. It's like that in all he does. Trying to prove himself to the world as well as to the reader. He doesn't have it all together, and the beauty of the book is... who does?

atreides
08-05-2004, 06:15 AM
I got it! the red hat means he is gay! he is expressing it through the bright, inappropriate colour and style of his hat.

j/k

seriously though, there is nothing like highschool english classes to destroy good books and make you hate them forever, or until you get older and start to appreciate them a little more. I just despise overanalyises. How many times has Lord of the Rings been analysed, when its basically just a great story?

Nemi
08-18-2004, 07:17 PM
I know this thread seems a bit on the dead side, but i really didnt want to start a new one...

Anyway, I've just read catcher in the rye, after a friiend got it for my birthday. First thing my dad said when he saw it was "great book to slit your wrists to".

I think I missed something, because I didnt find it depressing at all. He's just an average, whiney, arrogant teenager, who can't accept responsibility. He observes the world with one eye shut - unable to see that theres other angles to actions, and never seems to consider his own actions or longer consequences. I have no sympathy for him, and I would put his acting at 13 rather than 16. The events etc. arent depressing, they're just BORING.

(I write this as an eighteen year old, if you're wondering)

Starkiller0613
04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I know I'm new here and I hate to have this be my first post, but I have to write an exploratory essay explaining my final paper for my lit theory class and I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye. I've decided to look at it through New Historicist theory, but I'm not really sure exactly under that theory I should write about. I think I want to talk about the issue of marginalization. I also have to give a textual example that supports my reading. So I'm sort of stuck. I need a good textual example and to be able to say what I want the paper to do. I think if I had a good example that I could easily do the rest. I just can't think of anything. I'm getting close to the deadline...it's at 12am. I have to e-mail it in. Please help.

amuse
04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
i've never read catcher in the rye, but in case anyone has and wants to help you, what time zone are you in? because here it's 71 minutes to midnight but if it isn't for you -

Starkiller0613
04-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm in the eastern timezone.

elysium
04-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Sorry, but I have no idea if you missed the deadline already or not. However, I read Catcher in the Rye last year, and coincedentally just re-read it last weekend and wrote a bit about it for a column. Did you have anything particular you wanted help with? Sorry if I missed you, I just joined about five seconds ago.

IWilKikU
05-01-2005, 02:19 PM
New Historicist theory isn't going to help you a bit with somthing written so recently.

Razeus
05-01-2005, 02:35 PM
i've never read catcher in the rye, but in case anyone has and wants to help you, what time zone are you in? because here it's 71 minutes to midnight but if it isn't for you -

You really should read Catcher in The Rye. You won't spend forever with it...I did in 3 days.

Starkiller0613
05-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I've been busy studying for finals. I didn't miss the deadline. I pulled enough out of my butt to get by. The problem now is that I have to do my final paper on the book. What I need help with is putting my ideas together and just the paper in general. I'm still using New Historicism to look at the text, but now I'm looking at language and communication.

The purpose of my final paper is to explore the issues of language and communication in The Catcher in the Rye through New Historicism. By doing so, I hope to draw some comparisons to those aspects of our society today and to also explore how the book has shaped certain texts and ideals since its publication. I think I can accomplish this through looking at how Holden communicates throughout the book and the language he uses to communicate, as well as how the story itself is written to communicate its ideas in connection with its time period. I would then look at how that communication was received by the reading audience and how the interpretations of those messages have in turn influenced our culture. Thus, it is possible for some interesting conclusions to be drawn about how it was shaped by its time and how it has shaped the future.

I need to address the significance of the argument that I'm making. I also need to answer questions like (1)What does such a reading add to our understanding of the novel? (2)Does it challenge, support, change some structure within society? (3)Does it reveal some hidden agenda, uncover some latent element?

I'm supposed to consider why I think this reading is important and what I see it doing in terms of “opening up” the text to alternative understandings of history, language, communication, and narrative.

My final paper has to be turned in on May 9th before 5:00PM just to let you know what kind of time I'm working with. I have the intro part done, but the rest is coming really slow I also suck at finding good sources so I need help with that too.

I know thats alot, but this has been a rough semester for me and my mind is just killing me. I need major help and I would appreciate any that you could offer. Thanks everyone.

amuse
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
if you post the material you've written already for this paper, that might help.

i'm on the same time crunch as you, well more so - paper on Coming of Age in Mississippi, due monday at noon, starting on it tonight.

well, good luck with this! and perhaps we'll see you in other parts of the forum as well?

sp00ky
05-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I had to write this big essay about The Catcher in the Rye. My question to answer was why the story was so endearing. So for my answer, I wrote that youths today can relate to Holden Caulfield as he struggles through life picking the wrong paths. I'm done everything except for a creative title for the essay. Can anyone help me with a good creative title?

kilted exile
05-31-2005, 09:13 PM
I aint great at titles but how about "keep on holden on"

metaxy99
05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
hmmm...of course it would have to fit your paper,
but i always loved the ducks.
how about something straightforward like 'i wonder where the ducks go...'
or something outlandish and ironic (ie pseudo-academic) like 'ducks on the pond: the creative errancy of holden caufield'
or how about a playful one like 'ducking the bastards'
ok, i might be getting carried away...

Basil
05-31-2005, 10:00 PM
"Catcher in the Wry: The Unique Perspective of Holden Caufield"

sp00ky
05-31-2005, 10:06 PM
lol those are all good ideas. Thanks guys:)

mono
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
"Catcher in the Wry: The Unique Perspective of Holden Caufield"
I like this one. :nod:

Scorpionwingz
07-24-2005, 12:16 AM
This is one of my top five greatest books of all time. Please add a discussion here about the book.

thanks,

Fenton

Jay
07-24-2005, 05:54 AM
You might get more replies in General Literature (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4), this section is for requesting books to be added to the archive. Also if you'd have any questions or a certain topic in mind you'd like to discuss (ie something less general than the whole book to get a discussion started) it might help, for example 'what do you think about this-and-that from the book'?
Your thread might be moved to the above mentioned link in case you can't find it here.

Scheherazade
08-22-2005, 12:02 PM
I (finally) read The Catcher in the Rye yesterday; I liked it very much but it left me with mixed feelings and thoughts. There is no doubt that, in Holden, Salinger has created a memorable character but do you like him? Are we supposed to like him? I could not help thinking that Holden is a bundle of contradictions. Throughout the novel, he criticise others for being 'phoney' but isn't he just like anyone else? His simple refusal to 'grow up' and take responsibility for his own actions are not the real issues?

As for the imagery in the book...

Does the 'red hat' stand for his desire to be different?

He often looks out of the window... Is that a symbol that he is not willing to take part in 'real life' but rather be an outsider, a spectator?

I love the image of 'catcher in the rye'... beautiful. However, Phoebe says that the actual poem is “If a body meet a body, coming through the rye.” What is the significance of this?

There are so many things I would like to talk about this book if there is someone who is not fed up already and still willing! :D

*edit*

I was reminded of On the Road while reading this book although I am not sure why.

fayefaye
08-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Of course he's a bundle of contradictions; he's human.

mono
08-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Out of every novel I have read, J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye I consider one of the books that got me so interested in literature.
As you both mentioned, Scher and fayefaye (welcome back, by the way ;)), Holden Caulfield, I think, Salinger intended on sounding confusing and self-contradicting. I have seen this novel very often compared to William Golding's The Lord Of The Flies, since both involve a young adolescent (or adolescents) growing, gaining independence, making choices, and forming a concept of self-reliance. Of course, Holden attempts turning back again many times to his family (especially Phoebe, his younger sister), but with no help.

Does the 'red hat' stand for his desire to be different?
I think I will have to review the book again for this question. :D

He often looks out of the window... Is that a symbol that he is not willing to take part in 'real life' but rather be an outsider, a spectator?
I noticed this also, while reading the book, and agree with your idea, Scher. I feel that Holden does desire to "take part in 'real life,' " but feels the need to gain influence from others, relying on his surroundings. Young children (younger than Holden) learn very well common tasks of living by observing and imitating others around them, often their parents or caretakers; somehow, in Holden's development, he frequently tries to gain influence, feeling, in a way, fearful of too much independence.

I love the image of 'catcher in the rye'... beautiful. However, Phoebe says that the actual poem is “If a body meet a body, coming through the rye.” What is the significance of this?
I absolutely loved the character, Phoebe; her wit and almost sage-like intelligence for someone her age amazed me, for a fictional character. To me, Holden wanted to seem a kind of savior for other lost adolescents, wanting no one else to fall into that apparent "phoney" oblivion he labeled so often, so that when people "fell" from that comfort in childhood that seems to disappear with the confusing adolescence, he wanted to "catch" them.

fayefaye
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I have a cousin just like Phoebe. I love her to bits :) (and i'm trying to mould her in my image, MWAHAHAHA)

hmm.. I'm probably quite weak on the analysis of catcher... I read it a couple of years ago. For me, I tend to look out of windows a lot when my mind starts to wander and I reflect ont he world. Maybe holden does the same thing? (Whilst simultaneously trying to escape reality, if that makes sense?)

Scheherazade
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Of course he's a bundle of contradictions; he's human.Thanks for the insight!
I have seen this novel very often compared to William Golding's The Lord Of The Flies, since both involve a young adolescent (or adolescents) growing,This is an interesting point... Though I wouldn't get carried away with this comparison as the children (yes, they are children; no more) in TLOTF are forced into isolation from the adult world, 'grow up', take responsibilities. Holden, on the other hand, tries to isolate himself from the adult world willingly, and resists the necessity of 'growing up' and taking responsibilities although he is old enough to do these. Interestingly, he does not mind being 'grown up' when it comes to drinking or getting Sunny into his room. He often claims he is older than he is throughout the book when it suits him.
To me, Holden wanted to seem a kind of savior for other lost adolescents, wanting no one else to fall into that apparent "phoney" oblivion he labeled so often, so that when people "fell" from that comfort in childhood that seems to disappear with the confusing adolescence, he wanted to "catch" them.I agree with your intrepretation of the title, Mono. However, my question was that Holden remembers the poem as 'a body catches in the rye'. Later on Phoebe reminds him that the actual poem is: “If a body meet a body, coming through the rye.” It isn't 'catch' but 'meet'; what is the significance of misquote?

Here is the actual poem:

Coming Through The Rye
by Robert Burns

Coming thro' the rye, poor body,
Coming thro' the rye,
She draiglet a' her petticoatie
Coming thro' the rye.

O, Jenny's a' wat, poor body;
Jenny's seldom dry;
Coming thro' the rye.

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the rye,
Gin a body kiss a body -
Need a body cry?

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the glen,
Gin a body kiss a body -
Need the warld ken?

It is interesting that even though Holden associates this with children and his desire to stop them from falling into the adult world, the actual poem has a sexual connotation.

faith
08-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I read Cather in the rye, and totally loved it! All thou I read it for school, I never went as deep in my analyze as u do... I just loved both Holden and Phoebe. They were so symphatetic. Holden might have been 'phoney', but that was what was so lovely about him. *just must comment*

mono
08-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I agree with your intrepretation of the title, Mono. However, my question was that Holden remembers the poem as 'a body catches in the rye'. Later on Phoebe reminds him that the actual poem is: “If a body meet a body, coming through the rye.” It isn't 'catch' but 'meet'; what is the significance of misquote?
Like faith, having read it in high school, I suppose I never noticed the misquote. And, though I knew Salinger based the quote on a poem, I have never read the whole poem; thanks for posting it, Scher. ;)

Coming Through The Rye
by Robert Burns

Coming thro' the rye, poor body,
Coming thro' the rye,
Coming thro' the rye.

O, Jenny's a' wat, poor body;
Jenny's seldom dry;
Coming thro' the rye.

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the rye,
Gin a body kiss a body -
Need a body cry?

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the glen,
Gin a body kiss a body -
Need the warld ken?
I agree with you, Scher, that the poem does seem to have a slight sexual connotation, though Robert Burns does not seem like the easiest poet to read. :D
In the comparison of the misquote from "catch" to "meet," perhaps Phoebe more insists Holden that he cannot save his fellow "fallen" adolescents, but must aide them more passively, as cliché as it sounds. This might also point out that Holden may desire to remain stagnant in this stage to adulthood to help others, maybe out of fear for what lies beyond the "rye."

Scheherazade
08-28-2005, 06:03 AM
New quizes on JD Salinger and Catcher have been added to the Forum:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/quiz.php?quizid=30

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/quiz.php?quizid=28

samercury
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Catcher in the rye is one of the few books that I keep reading over and over without getting bored and everytime I read it, I learn soemthing new. Holden is a very interesting character yet, he keeps contradicting himself. He says that everyone around him is phony-yet, he is so much like them that if he didn't some really nice things sometimes, you would think that he is one of 'them'

queenrah
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Holden is absolutely terrified of growing up, hence his apparent fear of being sexually attracted to women. This said, the significance is the original poem by Robert Burns is actually about sex. It's basically Salinger being ironic and showing Holden to be a child.

Mark F.
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Holden's contradiction are the whole points of the character. Throughout the novel he points out things he doesn't like about people but that he also does. I wouldn't call him a hypocrite because I believe he realizes this, he's just growing up and having the same difficulties as everyone. I love the part where he pretends he has a bullet in his guts, then again there are so many other similar parts when he fools around (the talk about the suitcases...). I also think his admiration for Phoebe, Allie and D.B. his touching

What do you think about his teacher-friend, Mr Antolini? I don't know weather to like him or not, what his intentions were...etc

mono
09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
What do you think about his teacher-friend, Mr Antolini? I don't know weather to like him or not, what his intentions were...etc
I loved Mr. Antolini; he seemed a teacher who went far above and beyond his expectations as more of a mentor than a formal teacher. Holden obviously thinks highly of him, seeing him as a "non-phoney" and noncomformist; but Mr. Antolini offers Holden a new perspective for committing to school, and doing well - not to impress others, or "get a slice of the American pie," so to speak, but merely for himself.
That some readers interpret Mr. Antolini's manner as sexual with his gestures, I cannot agree with; like Holden, Antolini has his own faults (like alcoholism), and I saw his physical gestures more as almost father-like, exaggerated by a common teenager's fear of homosexuality.

Mark F.
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I also saw the gest as a fatherly one, maybe at the time the novel was written their was antagonism towards homosexuality. The other teacher he visits at the beginning (the elderly one) is also a fatherly figure. I see what you mean about Mr Antolini as a teacher. I feel his intentions are good but can't help identifying to Holden's fears.

Scheherazade
09-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Holden is absolutely terrified of growing up, hence his apparent fear of being sexually attracted to women. This said, the significance is the original poem by Robert Burns is actually about sex. It's basically Salinger being ironic and showing Holden to be a child.I was thinking about this and I wondered whether Salinger is being more than ironic here; maybe expressing a quite pessimistic view? Something Holden comes up with to 'save' children actually has sexual connotations. Sex is one of the sure signs of growing up; somewhat a loss of innocence. By this twist, I thought, Salinger might be trying to show that there is no escape (for Holden) or way to 'save' (children).

With all this focus on growing up, Holden is the only person who is really childish in the book. Phoebe talks and acts much more maturely than Holden does; all the other teens seem very much interested in sex while Holden just feigns an interest in it (although he thinks a lot about it).

What do you think about his teacher-friend, Mr Antolini? I don't know weather to like him or not, what his intentions were...etcI, like you Mark, am not sure how I feel about this character. I am not sure what Antolini's intentions were when he stroked Holden's hair but I don't think he was overstepping some boundries. I think there are some suggestions that he might be gay (if you would like to interpret them that way): he is not a conservative or conventional type; he is married to an older, well-off woman... However, I think the whole incident is about Holden and Antolini's sexuality is kind of irrelevant: he is unsure about his sexuality (surprise, surprise) like he is unsure about anything else about himself. Is Holden worried that he might be gay (because his relationships with the girls are not 'successes' as we see in the book) so gets very upset by Antolini's gesture?

I thought Holden's reaction to Antolini's gesture was typical of him: even though he has been one person he could really talk to and gave him sound advice he could relate to, Holden did not hesitate to get away from him when he suspects that Antolini might have a flaw.

jamie
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I am (half-way) through reading it. It's slightly dull.

Scatterbrain
09-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I have very mixed feelings towards this book
I still don't know what to think, really
A part of me thought it was fantastic, even "one of my favourite books" worthy
But then on the other hand...I don't know

I think I might have to read it again to decide

Sunflower05
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Hello guys!
How are you doing? At the moment im writing up an important paper for my literature class on the Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye. However im having some difficulty with some parts of the essay which i thought id share with you and would appreciate any help or ideas, little or large!
Well looking at both of the novels we can see that the authors have chosen adolescent protganists. Holden in catcher in the rye and Esther in the Bell jar. My question is to see why the authors have chosen to use adolescence as their protaginists? Why have them as the main storyteller expressing their views through teenagers? As the books are about teenagers growing up and making the tansaction to adulthood but why do they present adolescence?? Any ideas would be soooo grateful and appreciated!!! Thank you!
From Sunflower! xx

genoveva
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
That's a good question! Maybe they were writing for the 'young adult' audience? Maybe they wanted the teenager to be a symbol of transformation?

Sunflower05
03-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey!
Yeah thats what i thought and wrote on that they were purposely aiming for the younger audiences and showing that the transcation from childhood to adulthood is a huge step! BUt i was thinking why not use an adult protaginist speaking from experience? Or is it because they are the 'phonies'?? Would it be different if it was an adult? Im sorry i know im asking quite ambigious questions but this paper is for my final grade! :S
Thanks again for reply! And i welcome any new ones!!
Sunflower.xx

genoveva
03-16-2006, 06:15 PM
why not use an adult protaginist speaking from experience?

I don't think teenagers relate as well to adult experiences (even in reflection) as they would to another teenager. Teenagers are much more influenced (generally) by their own peers than by what they may consider an authority figure. My opinion.

emily655321
03-17-2006, 08:03 PM
First, hi Sunflower. :)

Second, I think the word you're looking for is "transition," not "transaction."

Third, I'm not sure what Salinger had in mind, but Sylvia Plath was writing a thinly-disguised autobiography, and those things really did happen to her when she was nineteen. So, in her case, it was just a matter of recounting personal history.

That doesn't mean the theme of "adolescent protagonists" can't be a valuable one. I think if you ask "how" instead of "why," you'll find some of the answers, and possibly some good questions, too—as in, "How have I, as a young adult, been affected by the age of these characters? How would I have reacted to them had they been ten years older? How does society (in the book) treat these characters? How would they be treated if they were having these problems at an older age? Would they be having the same problems if they were older? Are the issues in the book inherently adolescent in nature, or do older people experience them, too? If so, how does an older person's experience with depression/whatever-Holden's-problem-was differ from that of a younger person's? If not, why not? Exactly what are the problems that these characters experience, anyway?" (That last one should probably have come first.)

And so on.

Virgil
03-17-2006, 08:09 PM
This is just a comment on novels of adultlescence, not specific to Catcher in the Rye or The Bell Jar. The reason I think they are so interesting and common is becuase of the inherent situaton of a person undergoing a rite of passage. The situaton then is inherent with tension and conflict.

Sunflower05
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Thank you for your replies and i will definatly take them into account. Yeah i see what you mean, with writing about the bell jar it is Plath's autobiographical account so i can see why she has chosen to present adolescence. I will just mostly work on Salinger, any ideas if this too was how he was when he was young? I know that he did become a recluse afterwards? Any ways thank you for your help! :nod:

hii
05-25-2006, 02:06 AM
can anyone think of some songs that would fit the book "the catcher in the rye?" songs can relate to themes, symbols, messages, etc.

kimpossible
05-25-2006, 02:25 AM
just wondering, but why do you need these songs?

Basil
05-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Mark David Chapman, the man who killed John Lennon, perceived connections between Lennon's music and Catcher in the Rye. Compare the chorus of "Watching the Wheels" with the final scene of Holden watching Phoebe on the carousel:

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

Apparently, there is an audio file of Chapman reciting the lyrics to this song.

ShoutGrace
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Mark David Chapman, the man who killed John Lennon, perceived connections between Lennon's music and Catcher in the Rye.

Does that have to do with why he shot him? Why did he do that, btw?

The assasin was also carrying a copy of the book when he shot Lennon, right? Was there a connection he made between the two, other than the music?

blp
05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
The Boy with the Thorn in his Side - The Smiths

Spring - The Rites of Spring

Out of Step with the World - Minor Threat

Creep - Radiohead

Mis-shapes - Pulp

Teenage Depression - Eddie and the Hotrods

Dark Globe - Syd Barrett

Is This It? - The Strokes

Meaningless - The Magnetic Fields

Insitutionalised - Suicidal Tendencies

What a Boring Life - The Slits

Why Don't You Shoot Me - The Subway Sect

rabid reader
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
"Working Class Hero" the song responcible for Lennon being blasted

blp
05-26-2006, 07:51 PM
In My Life - The Beatles

Everybody's Happy Nowadays and Boredom - The Buzzcocks

After Hours, Sunday Morning and Beginning to See the Light - The Velvet Underground

Mongoloid - Devo

It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding, Ballad of a Thin Man and Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan

Petrarch's Love
05-26-2006, 09:29 PM
There's always the song that inspired the book's title, Robert Burn's "Comin' Through the Rye. There's a link here (http://ingeb.org/songs/rye.html) that has both the words and a sound clip with the melody (it's not the greatest rendition, but it'll give you the idea).

mono
05-26-2006, 10:24 PM
This seems like a very interesting question, and I can hardly think of anything that would match the uniquity of The Catcher In The Rye, though I may recommend almost any melancholic song by Radiohead (which consists of almost all of their songs), possibly from Velvet Underground, or maybe some of the popular works by Depeche Mode. :nod:

us183sub4
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
i teach the book to my junior american lit class, and these are some of the songs i use. some of the connections are obvious, some are more of a stretch...and it may be a longer list than you were looking for!

After Midnight J.J. Cale
All The Young Dudes Mott The Hoople
Another Lonely Day Ben Harper
Baba O'Riley The Who
Behind Blue Eyes The Who
Catcher, Call Me Holden Summer Always End
changes David Bowie
Circle Of Life (Elton John) Elton John & Tim Rice
coming through the rye Cyrus Chestnut
Crazy Patsy Cline
Creep (acoustic) Radiohead
Days Of Our Lives The Blue Nile
Dear God XTC
Epiphany Staind
ether Nothingface
express yourself Charles wright
Holden Caulfield Piebald
I Am Holden Caulfield The Contingency Plan
I Wrote Holden Caulfield Screeching Weasel
I'm One The Who
IHateMyselfAndWantToDie Nirvana
Individual Bad Religion
Loser Beck
Mad World Gary Jules
Magna Cum Nada Bloodhound Gang
Marked Bad Religion
My Generation The Who
Outside Staind
Reach for the Sky Social Distortion
rebel rebel David Bowie
Rock N Roll Woman Holden Caulfield (304)
sleeping_awake pod
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters
story of my life good charlotte
Story of My Life Loretta Lynn
Story Of My Life Social Distortion
Take The Long Way Home Supertramp
teenage desperation Loudermilk
The Handshake Bad Religion
The Kids Aren't Alright The Offspring
The Story Of My Life Neil Diamond
Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everthing There Is A Season) The Byrds
Unwell Matchbox Twenty
Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? Green Day
Will The Circle Be Unbroken The Carter Family
William Holden Caulfield Too Much Joy
Won't Get Fooled Again The Who
young americans David Bowie
Youth Of The Nation POD
seven nation army white stripes

SpecteR
06-02-2006, 05:37 AM
I thought it was a great quick, easy read. It is definately a book I would read again.

Miss Smilla
06-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I would have to completely agree with 'Mad World'. I know there are 2 versions of it though. I'm not sure who does which, but (for once) the original is a load of trollop and the cover turns the song into something glorious and thought provoking. You'll find it on the soundtrack to the movie 'Donnie Darko'. IF you don't know it already you must check it out!

smoothherb
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I would agree with whoever said creep and I think all aplogies by nirvana I know it's a contradiction but I think the lyrics kinda link with the book I know writeing this makes me look stupid but I always think of holden when I hear it.

mono
06-02-2006, 05:33 PM
I would have to completely agree with 'Mad World'. I know there are 2 versions of it though. I'm not sure who does which, but (for once) the original is a load of trollop and the cover turns the song into something glorious and thought provoking. You'll find it on the soundtrack to the movie 'Donnie Darko'. IF you don't know it already you must check it out!
Tears For Fears did the original version, I believe, and Gary Jules did a revised version for the film Donnie Darko.

larimausi
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey guys.

I have to write an english test in two days, and I have to answer some questions, and I'm stuck with two of them: Chapter 25: What does he feel threatened by? What happened last Christmas, i. e. what’s going to happen just after Christmas? You would save my life by answering them. Thanks a lot.

sumalan monica
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Like many other heroes,Holden Caulfield is an example of a young ,though shy young teenager who is in search for his own system of values,and identity.He is easily hurt by the luck of love and endowed with a great sensitivity that makes him fully realize and remember any significance of certain things,which pass unnoticed by most people.HiS attempt to find a new home in the adult world,beyond the limits of his adolescent experience,may be compared to an odyssey,a spiritual journey ,full of tests and dangers

dramasnot6
03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
What are YOUR thoughts larimausi? MAybe if you share some of your ideas we can help you structure them rather than give the "answers" away. Literature isnt like math, it has many right answers.

Matrim Cuathon
03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
this was the most hated book ever! we ahd to do so much **** for it in lit class. and it wasnt that good.

JGaoiran
04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Has anyone read The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger?

barbara0207
04-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi, JGaoiran,
yes, I've read it. Great book. But it's been such a long time ago that I think I'll reread it in the summer holidays. Thanks for the suggestion.

PS: Is it true that it's banned in some US school libraries on the grounds of language?

THX-1138
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
PS: Is it true that it's banned in some US school libraries on the grounds of language?

yes it was

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bannedbookslist.html

JGaoiran
04-30-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm REEEALLY stuck on theme. Why would Salinger write this?? WHAT IS THE PURPOSE!! My analysis is due tomorrow and.. well.. i have NOTHING.

THX-1138
04-30-2007, 06:22 AM
try spark notes.com it is great

barbara0207
04-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Thank you very much for the link, THX-1138. It was very informative - and shocking. To think that some major work of literature are on that list seems unbelievable. I think I'll open a thread on banned books.

Ineverland
06-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry if this reply is a bit sketchy. I'm not quite sure myself.

As far as I know J.D Salinger was fairly sociable when he was younger. He was sent to military academy at a young age but got on well with people. I think he suffered from Post traumatic stress after serving in the war and that could have caused a lot of isolation later on in life. There's a part of the book where Holden feels as if he is drifting away when he's walking down the street. That is one of the symptoms of PTSD so it could be related to his experiences with that. Salinger himself really hated ''phoneys'' and he could apparently empathise with teenagers more because he thought of them as more honest. This reply is a bit rubbish I'm afraid. If you want to know more then you could read his biography or his daughter's book; Dream Catcher: A Memoir. It's very interesting! :)

amarie3o3o3
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm supposed to be comparing existentialism and the importance of individuality in Catcher and 1984, I'm completely stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

the first part i'm not so sure .. but the individualism part i think i can answer... well holden in the novel is being alienated, and alienating him self. And the reason is because he tries so hard at first to conform, not be and individual , that he is being pushed away. That and the fact that he is not yet ready to be an adult. So acting so is causing others to alienate him. And those who do so he calls phonies.

I have to explain how setting plays a significant role, and how the city setting contributes to the theme. I have a few ideas but not enough to develop and entire essay. Any ideas?

barbara0207
06-28-2007, 09:31 AM
As you said in the other thread, Holden is not ready to be an adult. And so it seems to me that - although NY is his home - he feels somewhat lost in this city, as lost as he feels concerning his existence. No place like the big, anonymous city to get lost in - and lonely. There are rather few friends he can turn to, and those he calls rather turn out not to be such good friends after all (Sally, Mr Antolini). The only one he can rely on is a child (Phoebe).
The time and the weather are important, too, I think. It's around Christmas, and if I remember right there is a lot of rain, which may add to his depression.

Hope I could give you a few ideas. For details I'd have to think harder... :)

amarie3o3o3
06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks that did help a lot.. I'm really not sure how to work this site... i found it on google. But thanks and if you come up with anymore let me know... I'll find it somehow

barbara0207
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks that did help a lot.. I'm really not sure how to work this site... i found it on google. But thanks and if you come up with anymore let me know... I'll find it somehow

Why don't you bookmark the site? That's the fastest way to get here again. And for all other questions - you can always ask the mods or other members.

Concerning the Catcher: What are your own ideas? Have you got any special questions?

amarie3o3o3
06-29-2007, 12:36 PM
well i understand the whole catcher analogy. I took the cliff he's trying to save the children from falling off of as a symbol of catching them before they fall into adulthood. He shows this also when he's walking through New York and states that when he steps off a curb he's scared he will infinantly fall. So that made me think that falling to him is the transition into adulthood which he fears. And towards the end in the museum he says he pictures himself catching the person who graffitied "**** you" on the walls and punishing them himselves... But I'm stuck on the setting prompt

barbara0207
06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Yes, very good thoughts so far. And he feels depressed and lonely in the big city, as lost as he feels in the adult world. He makes a few attempts to behave like a "man" (the prostitute, trying to buy alcoholic drinks). But more often than not he is let down by the adult world (waiters who do not give him alcohol, Maurice) or by himself (he does not have intercourse with the prostitute). All that and his wish to get away from the city and get a job somewhere and live in a cabin show that he is not yet mature enough to enter the adult world. But he learns, and especially his little sister makes him feel his responsibility. There is a key scene at the end of the book. He refuses to have a ride on the carrousel in the park, and he watches Phoebe riding in the pouring rain. He knows now that living as a deaf-mute, i.e. without any social contacts, without having to communicate with the adult world, is not a solution.

If you have further questions, just ask. :)