PDA

View Full Version : meaning of a word?

libby
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am doing an assignment and must find the definition of a "sugar-hogshead." It appears on page 2 of the text. I have looked multiple places and tried to use context clues, but I cannot figure out what it means. If you know please reply ASAP.<br> Here is the word as it appears in the text: <br>"Now the way that the book winds up is this: Tom and me found the money that the robbers hid in the cave, and it made us rich. We got six thousand dollars apiece -- all gold. It was an awful sight of money when it was piled up. Well, Judge Thatcher he took it and put it out at interest, and it fetched us a dollar a day apiece all the year round -- more than a body could tell what to do with. The Widow Douglas she took me for her son, and allowed she would sivilize me; but it was rough living in the house all the time, considering how dismal regular and decent the widow was in all her ways; and so when I couldn't stand it no longer I lit out. I got into my old rags and my SUGAR-HOGSHEAD again, and was free and satisfied. But Tom Sawyer he hunted me up and said he was going to start a band of robbers, and I might join if I would go back to the widow and be respectable. So I went back. "

kat
05-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Libby,
A hogshead is a big barrel and a sugar hogshead is a barrel used to hold sugar. Huck made one into a bed when they used to hide out.
Kat

Tanja Bacikin
08-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Thakn you, it was very helpful.