PDA

View Full Version : Novel or Counterfeit?

Richard Winston
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Dostoyevsky's enigmatic work, "The Gambler" is neither a novel nor not a novel. It is a counterfeit novel and it is intended to be read as such. I come to that conclusion because it is clear from his other works that this author knows exactly how to write a novel and has done so on many other occasions --- so if in this case he wrote something very strange that starts out as if it were a novel and then collapses in on itself I have to assume he did so on purpose...Does anyone else read the story like this besides Peter Hodgson and myself?

Asim
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
well, ain't it beautiful?

Dulcinea
08-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Considering he only had a month to write this, I don't think he started writing The Gambler as a long novel.

dukadenis
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
I read the story its very beautiful,specialy when he describle the old princes loosing her rubla after she was lucky the first time.

bazarov
09-25-2008, 05:47 AM
It's his description of his feelings he had while he was gambling, so he didn't need that much time or inspiration to write it.

Gladys
09-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I read 'The Gambler' a decade ago and I still remember my shock when Alexei Ivanovich runs off to Paris with Mademoiselle Blanche De Cominges.

*Classic*Charm*
12-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm actually a touch confused about her (Blanche de Cominges)- what exactly does she do? Is she a prostitute or a paid companion or just a huge mooch?

Gladys
12-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Blanche de Cominges is a femme fatale who uses her seductive powers to survive comfortably in a hard world. Her victims, including young Alexei Ivanovich, are invariably complicit in her seduction.

bazarov
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Young starlet is now days term; I believe. :D

weltanschauung
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm actually a touch confused about her (Blanche de Cominges)- what exactly does she do? Is she a prostitute or a paid companion or just a huge mooch?

to quote machado de assis:
"marcela amou-me durante quinze meses e onze contos de reis"
(marcela loved me for 15 months and 11 thousand quid)

*Classic*Charm*
12-24-2008, 02:30 AM
to quote machado de assis:
"marcela amou-me durante quinze meses e onze contos de reis"
(marcela loved me for 15 months and 11 thousand quid)

Hahaha

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure!

Red-Headed
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I bought a second-hand hardback copy of Poor Folk & The Gambler (one volume) nearly a decade ago. It has an introduction by C.J. Hogarth & was published by Everyman's Library, J.M. Dent & Sons. It is in good condition. I have no idea who the translator was though. Many of the early translations of Dostoyevsky into English were by Constance Garnett. Has anyone seen a copy like this? It is a brown (cloth) hardback 17.4 centimetres long by 11 wide & a couple of cm thick.

country doctor
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Blanche de Cominges is a femme fatale who uses her seductive powers to survive comfortably in a hard world. Her victims, including young Alexei Ivanovich, are invariably complicit in her seduction.

yes, although also a fine reflection of the willing victim in alexei ivanovich...a combination of his easy come easy go money and being overpowered by her will...very interesting 10 pages of him in paris w/ her spending money...

he wasn't stingy...

Gladys
11-13-2010, 09:57 PM
yes, although also a fine reflection of the willing victim in alexei ivanovich

A gambler, one might say.