PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Inquisitor vs God Emperor of Dune

Alyosha
06-14-2003, 09:30 PM
I took my college liturature requirement in the spring, and one of the books we read was The Brothers Karamazov. Like many people, I was fascinated with the Grand Inquisitor parable. The prof mentioned that the fourth book of the Dune series was a perfect illustration of this, so I took some time to read it this summer.

I can definitely see some parallels. In "The Grand Inquisitor", people are not given any real freedom. Same with God Emperor of Dune. Also, the common people lead very simple lives in both, although in God Emperor of Dune it is obvious that people are not happy without freedom.

Miracle, mystery, and authority, the concepts that the Grand Inquisitor's system run on, play a large role in God Emperor of Dune. Leto's metamorphosis from human to worm is the miracle and mystery, and Leto is the sole authority.

Leto takes on the burden of the golden path and of historical knowledge just like the Grand Inquisitor takes on the burden of knowledge of good and evil. In this, both characters have a sort of impersonal love for mankind that leads to some terrible induvidual actions. Although, I do find it interesting that Leto can actually show induvidual love.

These are only the obvious parallels.

Has anybody else noticed this connection? What do you think Frank Herbert was trying to say by modeling Leto and his golden path to survival after the ideas in "The Grand Inquisitor"?