PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Justin
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
I disagree because even the most cursory reading of the Mayor Of CasterBridge reveals a structural pattern that relies heavily on coincidence indeed the story would hardly progress were it not for the chance occurrences that push Henchard closer and closer to failure

Random
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I totally agree and i too have unfortunatly got to read it for school and have real trouble writing essays on it.

Unregistered
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I agree I read alotta books andthis 12 is by far the worst

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
seriously it has taken me 5 months to read this book its so0o0o boringggggg

mike69
04-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Those who cannot appreciate "The Majore of Casterbridge" must be complete ignorants with no understanding whatsoever of the art of literature. Not only do we have a compelling story, told in a brilliant way, but behind it lies a philosophy, part of which has already been pointed out by Justin above. TMoF is anything but boring: Considering that Hardy wrote it for publication as a newspaper serial, he tried, more than in any other novel, to invest each chapter with sensational events - from the "wife-selling scene", which opens the book, right through to the melodramatic death of Michael Henchard at the end. Maybe those who do not see the structural patterns in the book, the brilliancy of the narration, the psychological insight offered, the interdependency of chance and human acts as described by Hardy, etc., are just 16-year olds bored with being told to read. If one appreaciates literature, one cannot help but appreciate The Mayor of Casterbridge.

me
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is probably the most boring book I have ever had to read! I have to read and research it for school work and I'm finding it more painful every time I try and pick it up!

Lozenge121
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I understand, I'm reading this for literature and it's the only book I haven't been able to read all the way through, but it's ok in small chunks which was the intention, considered it was written as serials.

quikmart
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I hesitate to call people ignorant, because I've met too many people more intelligent than myself in this world.

What concerns me about the posts is not the ignorance of the writers. No one has said, "I don't understand it". They have said, "it's boring", which I interpret to mean, "I don't care".

This says to me that the posters cannot identify with remorse for the mistakes in their lives, and would not seek redemption for them. The very idea would bore them.

That being the case, I'm not sure why they're bothering to post their complaints. They're people with modern attitudes; I'm bored; don't know, don't care. All this is familiar to those of us living amongst them - there's no need to serve us notice of what is so obvious.

AARONDISNEY
10-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm absolutely shocked by all the negative comments on the Mayor of Casterbridge. Someone said it pains them to pick it up. It pains me to put it down. I'm on chapter 42 and I started it about 6 days ago. I've had to work 40 hours in the mean time and have a family.

I find the story so involving and I care about the outcomes of each character a lot.

I'm wondering will Henchard go off the deep end or will he find meaning and order in his life once more?. I'm wondering will Elizabeth find out that Newson is still alive and will he return for her? Will Farfrae's good fortune lead him even further and further up the ladder only increasing Michael's frustrations?

The story just starts out with a bang and doesn't let up. I absolutely love it. And I love Hardy's insightful narration. I'm far from a super intelligent person and in order to understand his commentary, I'll occasionally have to re-read it to get it, but it's well worth it.

Please, anyone, if you are considering a Hardy book and have read some of the above comments, do not allow them to sway you from this book. It's great!