PDA

View Full Version : maggie

na
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The girl, Maggie, blossomed in a mud puddle. She grew to be<br>a most rare and wonderful production of a tenement district,<br>a pretty girl.<br><br>None of the dirt of Rum Alley seemed to be in her veins.<br>The philosophers up-stairs, down-stairs and on the same floor,<br>puzzled over it.<br><br>When a child, playing and fighting with gamins in the street,<br>dirt disguised her. Attired in tatters and grime, she went unseen.<br><br>There came a time, however, when the young men of the vicinity<br>said: "Dat Johnson goil is a puty good looker." About this period<br>her brother remarked to her: "Mag, I'll tell yeh dis! See?<br>Yeh've edder got teh go teh hell or go teh work!" Whereupon she<br>went to work, having the feminine aversion of going to hell.<br><br>By a chance, she got a position in an establishment where they<br>made collars and cuffs. She received a stool and a machine in a<br>room where sat twenty girls of various shades of yellow discontent. <br>She perched on the stool and treadled at her machine all day,<br>turning out collars, the name of whose brand could be noted for its<br>irrelevancy to anything in connection with collars. At night she<br>returned home to her mother.<br><br>Jimmie grew large enough to take the vague position of head of<br>the family. As incumbent of that office, he stumbled up-stairs<br>late at night, as his father had done before him. He reeled about<br>the room, swearing at his relations, or went to sleep on the floor.<br><br>The mother had gradually arisen to that degree of fame that<br>she could bandy words with her acquaintances among the police-<br>justices. Court-officials called her by her first name. When she<br>appeared they pursued a course which had been theirs for months. <br>They invariably grinned and cried out: "Hello, Mary, you here<br>again?" Her grey head wagged in many a court. She always besieged<br>the bench with voluble excuses, explanations, apologies and<br>prayers. Her flaming face and rolling eyes were a sort of familiar<br>sight on the island. She measured time by means of sprees, and was<br>eternally swollen and dishevelled.<br><br>One day the young man, Pete, who as a lad had smitten the<br>Devil's Row urchin in the back of the head and put to flight the<br>antagonists of his friend, Jimmie, strutted upon the scene.<br>He met Jimmie one day on the street, promised to take him to<br>a boxing match in Williamsburg, and called for him in the evening.<br><br>Maggie observed Pete.<br><br>He sat on a table in the Johnson home and dangled his checked<br>legs with an enticing nonchalance. His hair was curled down over<br>his forehead in an oiled bang. His rather pugged nose seemed to<br>revolt from contact with a bristling moustache of short, wire-like<br>hairs. His blue double-breasted coat, edged with black braid,<br>buttoned close to a red puff tie, and his patent-leather shoes<br>looked like murder-fitted weapons.<br><br>His mannerisms stamped him as a man who had a correct sense of<br>his personal superiority. There was valor and contempt for<br>circumstances in the glance of his eye. He waved his hands like a<br>man of the world, who dismisses religion and philosophy, and says<br>"Fudge." He had certainly seen everything and with each curl of<br>his lip, he declared that it amounted to nothing. Maggie<br>thought he must be a very elegant and graceful bartender.<br><br>He was telling tales to Jimmie.<br><br>Maggie watched him furtively, with half-closed eyes, lit with<br>a vague interest.<br><br>"Hully gee! Dey makes me tired," he said. "Mos' e'ry day<br>some farmer comes in an' tries teh run deh shop. See? But dey<br>gits t'rowed right out! I jolt dem right out in deh street before<br>dey knows where dey is! See?"<br><br>"Sure," said Jimmie.<br><br>"Dere was a mug come in deh place deh odder day wid an idear<br>he wus goin' teh own deh place! Hully gee, he wus goin' teh own<br>deh place! I see he had a still on an' I didn' wanna giv 'im no<br>stuff, so I says: 'Git deh hell outa here an' don' make no<br>trouble,' I says like dat! See? 'Git deh hell outa here an' don'<br>make no trouble'; like dat. 'Git deh hell outa here,' I says. See?"<br><br>Jimmie nodded understandingly. Over his features played an<br>eager desire to state the amount of his valor in a similar crisis,<br>but the narrator proceeded.<br><br>"Well, deh blokie he says: 'T'hell wid it! I ain' lookin' for<br>no scrap,' he says (See?), 'but' he says, 'I'm 'spectable cit'zen<br>an' I wanna drink an' purtydamnsoon, too.' See? 'Deh hell,' I<br>says. Like dat! 'Deh hell,' I says. See? 'Don' make no<br>trouble,' I says. Like dat. 'Don' make no trouble.' See? Den<br>deh mug he squared off an' said he was fine as silk wid his dukes<br>(See?) an' he wanned a drink damnquick. Dat's what he said. See?"<br><br>"Sure," repeated Jimmie.<br><br>Pete continued. "Say, I jes' jumped deh bar an' deh way I<br>plunked dat blokie was great. See? Dat's right! In deh jaw! <br>See? Hully gee, he t'rowed a spittoon true deh front windee. Say,<br>I taut I'd drop dead. But deh boss, he comes in after an' he says,<br>'Pete, yehs done jes' right! Yeh've gota keep order an' it's all<br>right.' See? 'It's all right,' he says. Dat's what he said."<br><br>The two held a technical discussion.<br><br>"Dat bloke was a dandy," said Pete, in conclusion, "but he<br>hadn' oughta made no trouble. Dat's what I says teh dem: 'Don'<br>come in here an' make no trouble,' I says, like dat. 'Don' make no<br>trouble.' See?"<br><br>As Jimmie and his friend exchanged tales descriptive of their<br>prowess, Maggie leaned back in the shadow. Her eyes dwelt<br>wonderingly and rather wistfully upon Pete's face. The broken<br>furniture, grimey walls, and general disorder and dirt of her home<br>of a sudden appeared before her and began to take a<br>potential aspect. Pete's aristocratic person looked as if it might<br>soil. She looked keenly at him, occasionally, wondering if he was<br>feeling contempt. But Pete seemed to be enveloped in reminiscence.<br><br>"Hully gee," said he, "dose mugs can't phase me. Dey knows I<br>kin wipe up deh street wid any t'ree of dem."<br><br>When he said, "Ah, what deh hell," his voice was burdened with<br>disdain for the inevitable and contempt for anything that fate<br>might compel him to endure.<br><br>Maggie perceived that here was the beau ideal of a man. Her<br>dim thoughts were often searching for far away lands where, as God<br>says, the little hills sing together in the morning. Under the<br>trees of her dream-gardens there had always walked a lover.<br><br><br>