PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Personally, I believe Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre was a courageous step in defeating unfair social views about women during her time. Bronte brings forth an important message- that women need not be beautiful to find love nor to be the heroine. Novels, plays and peoms for centuries have celebrated beautiful women with their 'fair skin' and 'rosy complexion'. In the past and, unfortuately, in the future, those who are somewhat lacking in the beauty department have been ignored and counted as useless. One of the most admirable messages in Jane Eyre is that although she is 'plain', Bronte accenuates Jane's possitive characteristics- her intellect, thoughtfulness, kindness, and her honor. She is certinately not useless! Jane is a heroine- as is proven when she saves Mr. Rochester, not only physically, but also spiritually and emotionally. Mr. Rochester had his pick of beautiful ladies. But end the end, he chose plain Jane. I really love this book! I am actually doing a research paper on it for my Senior Essay for English. I hope everybody isn't discouraged by the length or the writing style of the novel, because it really is a very enthralling and encouraging book! Thanks for reading! - Madeleine, 17