PDA

View Full Version : why books?

eightbagels
06-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Having just finished my first year of college, my life changed greatly. As a day to day routine I never had time for t.v. Now that I am home for the summer, I find that I prefer spending my free time reading. What do you guys think some of the reasons are that people read? Why do you think reading can be more entertaining than t.v?

imthefoolonthehill
06-10-2003, 07:37 PM
probably because the authors have more imagination and talent than those behind the TV series' plots.

Another reason: Books require good writing. Tv requires good writing, acting, lighting, directing etc etc etc

3rd reason: Books let your imagination run wild, making it easier to create a work that can be reread (and enjoyed).

nome1486
06-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Interesting question! I think people read because reading requires active thought, as opposed to watching TV, which is a passive activity. Reading really gets you thinking, about anything and everything. Also, a lot more planning is put into writing a book--authors sometimes spend years writing a single novel, while TV producers have to rush to meet deadlines and are more interested in making money than in making quality shows. And there's just something about picking up an old, familiar book and flipping through the pages to where you left off, something that TV shows never give you. Books can stay with you years after you read them.

Looeess
06-11-2003, 03:03 PM
I think people read because reading requires active thought, as opposed to watching TV, which is a passive activity. Reading really gets you thinking, about anything and everything.

I also think this is the main difference. With TV the characters and landscapes have all been created for you. Everyone sees exactly the same thing and so no thought is really required by the viewer (unless you are really lucky to catch something with a good twist to the plot).

When reading a book, the images are created by how your own imagination interprets the text. Which makes for a more personal interaction.

Louise M ~..~

Eric, son of Chuck
06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Ever smelled a brand-spanking-new book? The glue's addictive.

nome1486
06-12-2003, 12:45 AM
I like the smell of old books better--a dusty worn-paper smell. :D

imthefoolonthehill
06-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Nome 1486: I like the smell of old books better too... except when the dust gets up my nose...

Eric, son of Chuck
06-13-2003, 11:57 AM
I used to work in a used book store, so I'm kinda used to finding mustard or other nasty foods on or in books. As such, I've had few good experiences with older books.

eightbagels
06-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Allright....how about books posted online, or ones that you can read from your laptop? You wouldnt get the smell thats for sure.

nome1486
06-13-2003, 08:50 PM
I like books that are available online when I can't get them anywhere else, but you're right, they don't smell; that's why I prefer reading actual, printed-on-paper books (no offense, Admin...this is a great site, and thanks for making so many books available!) Also, regular books are easier on the eyes and I can flip through them if I need to find something. Even so, the actual thought process is the same, so reading books on the computer is still more engaging than watching TV (for people who like reading).

Ammaria
06-15-2003, 03:09 AM
For me the act of holding the book in my hands is satisfying, as opposed to a remote control. Ever since I can remember I've loved the feel and the sound of pages turning in my hands. I guess I feel an intimacy toward books which I cannot feel towards a hunk of machinery.

Munro
06-15-2003, 04:18 AM
I work in a bookstore as well, but our store sells them new...I like new books because they smell fresh, and they often have cool covers (seriously, sometimes a cover entices me to buy a book...I bought One Hundred Years of Solitude just cos of the cover art!).
I like old books because I read them and can wonder how many owners have read the same words, and how what the words meant to them. There's a certain magic in an old volume, and I love nothing more than to walk into a room that is quiet, serene, filled to the ceiling with old tomes and volumes of stories, information and words to be read. Even if you aren't reading the books, they're nice to sit amongst for me, I regularly take a newspaper into the library at lunch, and enjoy a break from the madness and the falsity.
I read a bit when I was younger, mainly just fantasy or science fiction, but it wasn't until I turned 15 that I discovered the true value of books. To me, it's mentally engaging, it allows escape into another world with interesting characters, and often the language is clever or beautiful, making it better still. In fact, whether reading a book, a magazine or a newspaper, don't you think reading is the greatest soruce of knowledge and education you can find?

eightbagels
06-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Reading is a great way of learning. Reading and writing skills are so important, that I would agree with you. I have come to realize that certain things humans can do for enjoyment are all interconnected somehow. For example, Im a jazz drummer, and I can relate jazz to literature in many ways. The most basic is that I get the same satisfaction out of both. Well maybe more so with jazz...ok a lot more, but you get the idea. Its all about inteligent energy and learning how to use/appreciate it.

Shea
06-22-2003, 10:19 PM
For me the act of holding the book in my hands is satisfying, as opposed to a remote control. Ever since I can remember I've loved the feel and the sound of pages turning in my hands. I guess I feel an intimacy toward books which I cannot feel towards a hunk of machinery.

I always felt the same way! I prefer books to tv so much to the point that for a long time I never had a tv at all. I still wouldn't have one if it wasn't for my husband.

As far a new or used books, I always prefered the used ones probably because the used books stores I would find always had an antique look about them. (I love old buildings!)

waxmephilosophical
06-27-2003, 03:11 PM
I think everyone pretty much agrees on this topic. Reading requires imagination, personal thought, the formulation of opinions, interpretation...whereas tv requires...well, nothing, except to sit there with your mouth hanging open and your brain turning into mush! Isn't it amazing how people who have grown up reading instead of being zombies end up with vocabularies ten times larger and more comprehensive than other people? And they can carry on a conversation about almost any topic, even the absurd and pointless ones, because they pay more attention to details.

theMarsMonster
06-28-2003, 06:35 AM
books can give you more than tv.
not all books.

though discovery channel can be contagious

ajoe
08-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Also note:
When I watch TV all week long, I gain a few pounds.
When I read a book all day long, I lose a few pounds.
:D

Munro
08-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Lol, nah, I think I gain a few pounds. I lie lazily all afternoon and evening on a comfy sofa drinking coffee and eating chocolate while I read. Usually with a heater on. Mmmm...I wish I was doing it right now.

AbdoRinbo
08-27-2003, 10:12 PM
I usually gain a few pounds at Christmas when the snow drift starts to move in. The climate gets to be so cold here that you pretty much have to either read or watch TV from day-to-day (I play video games, too).

den
08-28-2003, 01:01 AM
I read more than I've ever watched t.v. because I like to be able to use my own mind to fill in the visuals thankyouverymuch. It takes a real miracle to translate written word to film/screen. I rent lots of movies tho', but also can't stand the assault of advertising before the actual movie starts. The mute and fast forward buttons are well worn on my remote.

Mainstream/pop/prime-time T.V. is no more than IV drip for the near comatose as far as I'm concerned. Good thing they invented couches/lazyboys etc. so one can recline and get their `medicine' much more efficiently. :D

What do you guys think some of the reasons are that people read? Why do you think reading can be more entertaining than t.v?

den
08-28-2003, 01:03 AM
I can't wait till it gets cold and snowy again, so I don't have to feel guilty (from others perceptions of me) about my proclivity to read for hours at a time, becoming nocturnal and `hibernating' as it were. Yeah gain a few pounds too, oh well. :P :o :rolleyes:

AbdoRinbo
08-28-2003, 02:33 AM
Here in Michigan we are cursed by Holy Beings of Ice who enjoy keeping us pent up in our houses while they ruin the year with frost and ice blankets. Sickness tends to spread much faster during those times, when coughing up pale, opalescent phlegm is a common daily routine. The smokestacks only increase our suffering further. But reading offers a kind of transcendence from those uncharitable Ice-Saints.

Shea
08-28-2003, 05:00 PM
No matter how much I hear of the horrors of Winter and snow, (we don't have Winter here in Florida, we have cold summer :x ) because I didn't grow up with it, I'd love to live up North again and freeze. I spent 3 full years in Ohio after 18 and loved every season except summer. Sure I froze, but why wouldn't anyone love to curl up in front of the fire with a book in their lap?

Lothwen
08-29-2003, 05:56 AM
snow, frost, hot radiator instead of fire :)
sun, bees, green garss

every place and time is good to read books :)

AbdoRinbo
08-29-2003, 06:11 AM
Hypothermia, influenza, cabin fever . . .

Mosquitos, crabs, cannibals . . .

No place is a good place to read!