PDA

View Full Version : Jane Eyre

Iona
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For our coursework we were made to read jane eyre and at first i had my doubts but now i love this story. The language was hard to get into at first but once i had broken through this small wall i was totally taken over by this book and could not put it down! I love the way a young lady actually manages to prove everyone wrong and actually become something and make something of herself. Throughout the story we see how much she learns and her ever growing attraction to Mr. Rochester! This book shows that no matter what background you come from or whoever you are you can make something of yourself. I would say anyone interested in reading this book - go ahead and do so because im sure you will regret it if you do not because it is a lovely story!!

cath e
09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I Agree!! i hav not yet entered A lvls but i will definatly study english lit becase the book has so enthralled me!

cath e xxxx

JaneEyre1986
01-10-2007, 03:41 AM
I chose to read this book for a book report in college, and my professer (professeress?) was very pleased that I chose it. I could not get my nose out of that book, and my dad (who I lived with at the time), was surprised that I didn't even want to do anything but read. Usually I have to take a break from time to time, but I didn't want to put it down.

And in case you couldn't tell by my name, it's still one of my favorite books. :p

fiona_2104
01-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Hay what do people think of teh BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre? its always something that comes up and there are mixed opinions about it.

bouquin
01-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Hay what do people think of teh BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre? its always something that comes up and there are mixed opinions about it.

I have not seen the BBC adaptation. The one with Charlotte Gainsbourg and William Hurt is excellent, I think. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite books; I read it almost 20 yrs ago.

gabs10d
02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
i bought the book coz i was told i would have to start reading classic books, so i bought this book. i started reading it and i couldnt put it down - it was that good! i never even noticed the language either!

muhsin
02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I too have read this but for long. And its very fascinating. Hence I placed it along in the number of the best books I ever read in my life.

This thread triggers my mind to just go back to re-read it. And so I'll, by God's grace, do soon.

Thanks

mc mayer
04-22-2007, 10:25 AM
jane eyre is the first english original masterpiece i read, and it really inspired my interesting in reading english litrature. i will never forget the feelings when i was reading it, which grabed me into the plot, and i couldn't control my feelings. so moved by jane's perseverance. my moods went up and down along with the progress of the plots.

Jamilah
07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I just finished reading Jane Eyre and I loved it. Charlotte Bronte had a tremendous command over the language. As I read the pages I kept thinking "Yes, this is how words should be used." I live in Toronto and our television is saturated with low-brow American entertainment where talk show hosts and sitcom stars butcher the English language. Jane Eyre is a masterpiece and truly deserves its place in the Western literary canon. Wonderful, remarkable, fantastic. There aren't enough words. Just read this book.

sciencefan
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I just finished reading Jane Eyre and I loved it. Charlotte Bronte had a tremendous command over the language. As I read the pages I kept thinking "Yes, this is how words should be used." I live in Toronto and our television is saturated with low-brow American entertainment where talk show hosts and sitcom stars butcher the English language. Jane Eyre is a masterpiece and truly deserves its place in the Western literary canon. Wonderful, remarkable, fantastic. There aren't enough words. Just read this book.Poor you!
Sorry the Canadians import all that trash.
I don't watch it myself.

If you want to drink in more beautiful language and excellent writing,
I highly recommend Jane Austen.

kiki1982
07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes I had the problem of getting into it too... I firstly couldn't appreciate it, but now I do largly. I thought Jane was just a little bit too distant. I had the feeling that the dialogues between Rochester and her were like driving a car when you can't manage the gears yet: with a shocking effect. Taking off and stopping all the time. But now I have seen the light!:idea:

About the BBC adaptation: they are broadcasting it on Dutch television now. In 4 parts it is. But yesterday I thought that it was rather the story of the beauty and the beast, the way she arrived at Thornfield... A very scary and dark castle and a butler who comes to get her who doens't speak to her and then says: "In here." in a grave like voice... Or rather call it the beauty and the bully, because Rochester goes from the one side of the spectre to the other... At first he's much too dark in his manners. Rochester, don't forget, is still a gentleman. Though with the fact that he is kind of intimidating, but he is never rude. Yesterday, Rochester was rather too stern... And then the next scene he goes for it??? It was not a gentle evolution like in the book at all, but just a build-up of scenes of the beginning... Too fast.
I have also heard that they changed the order of events. It always puzzles me why they do that.
Maybe it will become better in the next few parts...
Maybe we should make a thread about it?

sciencefan
07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Yes I had the problem of getting into it too... I firstly couldn't appreciate it, but now I do largly. I thought Jane was just a little bit too distant. I had the feeling that the dialogues between Rochester and her were like driving a car when you can't manage the gears yet: with a shocking effect. Taking off and stopping all the time. But now I have seen the light!:idea:

About the BBC adaptation: they are broadcasting it on Dutch television now. In 4 parts it is. But yesterday I thought that it was rather the story of the beauty and the beast, the way she arrived at Thornfield... A very scary and dark castle and a butler who comes to get her who doens't speak to her and then says: "In here." in a grave like voice... Or rather call it the beauty and the bully, because Rochester goes from the one side of the spectre to the other... At first he's much too dark in his manners. Rochester, don't forget, is still a gentleman. Though with the fact that he is kind of intimidating, but he is never rude. Yesterday, Rochester was rather too stern... And then the next scene he goes for it??? It was not a gentle evolution like in the book at all, but just a build-up of scenes of the beginning... Too fast.
I have also heard that they changed the order of events. It always puzzles me why they do that.
Maybe it will become better in the next few parts...
Maybe we should make a thread about it?There is a thread about the film adaptations here:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19433

Jamilah
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I love Jane Austen! I read Pride and Prejudice and I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Emma. After reading both Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice I'm curious about the BBC adaptations too and I know they've been highly praised. Also, I apologize if I offended anyone with my "low-brow American entertainment comment." Not all programs, movies or actors should be described as such. I was just reacting to the recent frenzy over "reality" shows. Anyhow, let's get back to books. Before tackling Emma, I think I want to read Wuthering Heights.

sciencefan
07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I love Jane Austen! I read Pride and Prejudice and I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Emma. After reading both Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice I'm curious about the BBC adaptations too and I know they've been highly praised. Also, I apologize if I offended anyone with my "low-brow American entertainment comment." Not all programs, movies or actors should be described as such. I was just reacting to the recent frenzy over "reality" shows. Anyhow, let's get back to books. Before tackling Emma, I think I want to read Wuthering Heights.Just a "heads up" about Wuthering Heights.
I didn't like it at all.
The problem was the main characters were not nice people.
They were not likeable.
I have read reviews stating as much.
As a matter of fact, I sought out some reviews because I felt guilty
for not liking what is supposed to be such a great classic book.
It's a dark novel, too.
I'd put it in the same category as Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

If you like happy endings,
don't read Wuthering Heights... or Tess.

Duna
09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I read the book in Spanish and I loved it;) First, I saw the film (William Hurt as Rochester) and then, I decided to read the book. I delighted for the humanity that it transmitted. I recommend it; itīs beautiful :yawnb:

plainjane
09-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time. I first read it when I was 11 or so...some decades ago and have reread it several times over the years.
As far as the film adaptations, of course the Orson Welles version will remain my favorite. He just seemed to be Rochester.
But a very close second, and probably more accurate or complete version would be the Timothy Dalton version. I frankly cannot see Hurt as Rochester.