PDA

View Full Version : What?????

Chioma
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
The movie stick pretty close to the book but leaves out some details that actually made the book somewhat interesting. If you like Days of Our Lives, you will love the movie.

Madeline
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I read Jane Eyre, and my teacher has also read it. I asked her who the antagonist was, and she said "definetly Mr. Rochester." Why? She said "you'll see. At the end of the book, you'll see." I don't get why she said that. My gramma also agreed with me. Why????? Please help me.<br>Also, is the movie similar to the book, or is it like other movies, and TOTALLY different????????

JaneEyre24
10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I don't see Mr. Rochester as being the antagonist at all. If anything the closest person to being the antagonist is either Bertha or St. John. Both are in their own rights and in their own parts of the novel.

Valancy
10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I think Mr Rochester is considered an antagonist largely by feminist thinkers because of his controlling nature. Basically, if you read the play with the mind-set in which Rochester is trying to control Jane and trap her (like he did Bertha), then he does look like the bad guy. If you read Wide Sargasso Sea, Rhys adds another whole dimension to Bertha's story in which the man she marries (presumed to be Rochester) mistreats her, traps and drives her literally crazy. The fear that this might happen to Jane if she submits to him is the reason he is considered as antagonist.

Believer
01-21-2006, 02:46 PM
The movie stick pretty close to the book but leaves out some details that actually made the book somewhat interesting. If you like Days of Our Lives, you will love the movie.

What movie?

cath e
03-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I think that St. John is the antagonist really as he puts alot of pressure on Jane to do something she would never be happy doing. Mr Rochester is totally dependant on Jane in the end and I find it really hard to see how he could possibly be the antagonist. He may have pressured her in the beginning but that was only because he loved her so much he couldn’t bear to be unable to marry her. He was smothering the truth with blind hope.